• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Performance

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

A25 Performance

Post by Sunsetrider »

My A25 is a 76 with the original 36hp MD17C . We launched today, and as is the case every spring, we pray the old bugger starts up nice and quickly! This year, as every year for the past 6 years I have owned it, the trusty VP roared to life at the first twitch of the key . . . YES!
And all the way to the berthing marina, it hummed along like a champ.
Now, I think my A25 is as quick on the water as any of this ilk, but it is always nice to have a measuring stick, because the rpm/kts ratio gives one a sense (in my amateur opinion) of how well the engine, prop, and hull are working together.
On our one-hour journey today I kept the revs at a very conservative (in my way of thinking) modest 1800+ a titch, moving along at a steady 7.2 kts, per the pic below (you might have to blow the photo up to see the GPS SOG figure).
I think this is a very satisfactory performance for this elderly vessel. Cranking it up to 2200 rpm moves it along substantially quicker, but 7.2 kts is normally good for me, and the fuel efficiency is terrific at that level.
Posted for those new to the A25, or considering same. I would guess that repowered versions of the semi-displacement hull would see even better performance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A25 Performance

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That shows the difference between later De Luxe model & early full displacement hulls. The first A25s had only 21 HP 2 cyl. With our 24 HP engine we have to crank it up to 2,200 to 2,350 RPM with 2.6:1 trans gear ratio turning 16.5 X12 prop to get 6.5 knots. How's the noise level now? Didn't you mention getting some improvements from time you gave us a ride?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Since our ride I have replaced the insulation inside the engine box with Soundown, and had the shaft aligned and cutless bearing replaced. We can now converse at the helm without raised voices. Big improvement.

I believe that more improvement is possible by cushioning under the fuel tank and the area under the fridge cavity.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That's good to hear. If not for COVID & all the related issues & closures we'd be on our way up there later this summer & pulling in to Gananoque marina after crossing east end of Lake Ontario from Oswego NY. Next year!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Let's see if things improve enough to have that happen.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Our '76 Deluxe with MD17C performs about the same; 7.5 at 1800RPM. No complaint about how easily she fires up neither. Did your boat have the bumpy urethat foam noise insulation, Sunsetrider?
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: A25 Performancehi-tech as the new stuff.

Post by Sunsetrider »

It was foam insulation but not bumpy as in spray foam - more like foam padding, just not as thick and hi-tech as the new stuff.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Meant "bumpy" as in something appearing as it might be good for packing fresh eggs in a carton, not like "spray paint".
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I know what you meant, NIck. Like spray foam insulation. But my OEM (if such it was) did have a foil liner on the outer facing. Just a much thinner padding c/f the new Soundown. Of course, can/t find my photos of the job.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I'm thinking he means "egg crate" foam, like that used on walls of recording studios and such.

Or not.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Post by LopezMike »

I helped build a sound recording studio once. Learned a lot.

The expert told us that heavy stuff like lead sheets on foam dealt with the low frequencies and that plugging up the last teeny hole made the difference with high frequencies. My experience quieting down my sailboat engine was that both were very important. Especially the small holes to block most of the diesel rattle.

In the recording studio the egg crate shapes helped eliminate echoes within the room. My engine does not seem to be seriously bothered by echoes.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

hetek wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am I'm thinking he means "egg crate" foam, like that used on walls of recording studios and such.
Ya that sounds right. I retract, :)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”