• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Consumables for Beta 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Consumables for Beta 25

Post by honza »

Has anybody made experience with cross referencing and buying generic consumables like filters etc. for Beta 25? I was about to buy their service kit, but found the shipping charges ridiculous. Do filters from Kubota D902 fit? Thank you.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Consumables for Beta 25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Contact Joe DeMers at Sound Marine Diesel in CT. He's a Beta dealer & should know all about that stuff. I'm not that familiar with Betas, but I think one of the selling points was non-marine consumables like oil filters & other engine parts being compatible with parts for Kubota tractors.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

Thanks, DA, but I would expect that a Beta dealer will be trying to sell me something with a Beta sticker on it. I'll talk to local Kubota, but I thought, that somebody already knows and did not want to be inventing a wheel. Just puzzled if the motor model name will mean anything to them.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

How hard would it be to run down to their store with the used filter and match it up?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

DA's suggestions is still a good option. I goggled the question and came up with Beta Marine US.

Here is their parts list for the Beta 25. Prices wouldn't send me to Napa looking for a deal.

https://www.betamarinenc.com/product-category/beta-25/

At their home page there is a link to interchangeable parts that is not active, it gives the error message. A phone call should work, same as Joe Demers. I hate calling and hate more call waiting, and more yet, nosy questions and goose chases, but welcome to great America. Usually I am pleasantly surprised, especially if I bite my tongue as most folks on the other end are trying to help you.

You will come up with a parts list, hopefully in one chunk, but keep good notes. I had to do the same thing with my ancient Volvo Penta where the price difference is substantial.

Good luck.

(Just a side question... I see the Betas are around 250-350 lbs.should I want to replace my 650 lb. behemoth Volvo Penta. I probably wouldn't live long enough to see how that difference plays out over the next thirty or forty years, but still...)

Edit: Don't take my info for gospel. I don't know exactly what engine you have. It appears there are a couple 25 hp Betas out there. Still the basic engine "should" be the same.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Did you see that Beta gives Kubota (sometimes Napa) part numbers for the filters on their website? Most of what they sell are the custom parts for mainization.
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Post by Desertboater »

Hope this helps with your quest for cross-reference to non-Beta spares/consumables.

Attached is a pdf of the spare parts list that we use when buying consumables and spares for our Beta 25. The list was prepared using the information that apparently is no longer available on Beta Marine NC's web site. These spare parts fit a 6 year old Beta 25 - they may not be correct for a new Beta 25.

I looked at the Beta Marine NC web site and noted that the bore, stroke, and engine displacement is the same as our engine; however, the web site does not identify whether the current Kubota block is still the D902-E3B SM-E3B Series diesel.

The key pieces of information that would be helpful for you in deciding whether our list is of use for your Beta 25 is the WOC and the Kubota block number. The WOC is the Beta Marine serial number for the marinized Kubota engine block. The Kubota block number will help if you need a part for the engine rather than marine add-on item like the heat exchanger.

It is worth while recording those numbers so you don't have to run out to the boat in the middle of winter to get them - been there, done that.

Since you are on the east coast, your Beta 25 was imported by Beta Marine of North Carolina. They are a great company to deal with and would probably help if you called to ask about whether the engine has changed over the last 6 years - ask for Stanley (he might even send you their un-official cross-reference).

Additional information:

Our raw water pump ate an impeller due to operator error. After cleaning out the heat exchanger and the raw water pump volute, everything ran well for a few months. Then a drip started from the weep hold in the raw water pump. I called Stanley in NC after trying unsuccessfully to get anyone from Beta Marine West Coast (Beta Marine importer for WA, OR & CA). He was surprised that we had run this long without such a drip since Beta Marine had identified the original shaft water seal inside the raw water pump was a bit weak (British understatement). I bought the replacement seal kit and then had to call Stanley in the middle of the installation since the instructions lacked detail. He immediately emailed a page from their manual and I was able to look at it on my phone to complete the job. Great people to deal with.

The website for Beta Marine UK still has an online detailed spare parts document for all the marine parts that are added to the Kubota block. It does not have any cross-reference but can be very helpful to see the details of these parts.

https://betamarine.co.uk/resources/Illu ... PL/#page=1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by honza »

Thank you, Desertboater, for the great info. Exactly what I was looking for and much more than I expected. I am not trying to avoid Beta distributors (do not see much use to go thru local dealers for parts), but it is nice to have more options.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Our raw water pump ate an impeller due to operator error.
That happened to us once with our Yanmar. Can't say whether it was operator error, but a couple of impeller vanes just decided to break off one day. One vane got pushed into the inlet end of the heat exchanger, the other jammed the pump & proceeded to chew up the pulley & score the spindle. Lucky for us we had just pulled out of Blind Bay on the north side of Shaw Island in the San Juans & into Harney Channel & were able to use the 2.5HP outboard motor on our dinghy to push the boat back into Blind Bay & take up a mooring without the need to call for a tow. Blind Bay also happens to have a ferry terminal, so we were able to dinghy over to the ferry landing, take the ferry back to Anacortes, rent a car & drive up to a Yanmar dealer in Bellingham to pick up a new pump. A mere $539 for the pump plus the cost of ferry passage and car rental later we were back in business & good to go. That was in 2014, the first year we owned our boat. How much do Beta raw water pumps sell for?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Desertboater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eastern Washington State

Post by Desertboater »

DA - you got me curious about the parts cost comparison of Beta Marine vs other marine engines. I googled the part number from the UK parts list I mentioned above for the cooling water pump for a 25HP. As expected, no US hits showing the price, but there were some UK web pages that came up. The one that opened first had a price of 125 UK pounds, which at the current exchange rate is just under $160 USD for the pump.

There would be additional cost for shipping and maybe VAT (tax) unless VAT is waived for export items. But even with a hefty markup by the US dealers, the cost should still be under $400.
Desertboater
Albin 25 - 1971 originally with AD-21 engine
Repowered with Beta Marine 25hp

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”