• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hose-a-palooza

Albin's "power cruisers"
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

hose-a-palooza

Post by motthediesel »

Well, I decided to replace all the hoses on our 4D61. Most of them looked pretty good, but god only knows how old they were. A race car supply company that I have used before (Pegasus Racing) offers silicone bends in all sizes and shapes, so I went a little crazy, here's the result.

Most of the original hoses had internal support springs. They were pretty corroded at this point, so I wound new ones out of SS wire.

I also did away with most of the old screw-type hose clamps and made up aero-style clamps from SS mechanics wire, it makes for a clean looking job I think.

Tom
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: hose-a-palooza

Post by DCatSea »

I DO like that. Looks a heck of lot better than mine from Autozone.
Mabrook!
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Well, I’m sure it cost a lot more than the black rubber alternative — but I wanted some “engineers eye candy”. More silicone than a party at the Playboy Mansion! ;<)
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Now you'll have to leave the engine cover off: it would be a pity to hide such a pretty job!
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

I dunno, years ago the crew of my last Royal Navy submarine (HMS/M Andrew) was invited to the Penthouse Club (by Bob Guccioni no less), and I can personally guarantee that the silicone industry was very well supported (no pun intended but noticed on preview) at the London location. I bet Playboy Club was no less a fan.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

That sure looks nice! How did you make the u turn up by the water pump ?
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Post by LopezMike »

You're done it now. You'll have to paint the engine!
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Do you mean this one?

That original hose had some wear from the fan belt rubbing on it, so I spaced the expansion 1/4" farther forward. That created more space between the hose and belt.

These two were a bit tricky as well.

motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

LopezMike wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:47 pm You're done it now. You'll have to paint the engine!
Well, I have started with the expansion tank and valve cover, but you're right, the rest needs to be done too. I'm using Ford "Tractor Red" enamel.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Love the wire hose clamps! Never seen that before. Looked around and found clamptite. Is that the tool you use?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Yes, those clamps are the bee's knees -- super tight all the way around the hose, and very smooth, with nothing to snag on. I still used conventional clamps in a few spots, like under the exhaust manifold, where I couldn't use the tool. Also, on the seawater pump, as those connections need to be removed every year for service and winterization.

The "Clamptite" is a good tool, and it will make the exact same style clamps, but I use a simpler tool that I made myself.

If you search in Youtube you will see all kinds of videos on how to make and use the tools, this one is my favorite.

https://youtu.be/mRc7ZDRcgrQ

Tom
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

You are true Renaissance Man. Great work AND making your own tools. Leonardo dV did the same thing.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

DCatSea wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:40 pm You are true Renaissance Man. Great work AND making your own tools. Leonardo dV did the same thing.
They used to say that tool making defined human beings, but then they found that chimps make tools too. Safe to say, I'm closer to Bonzo than Leonardo. :lol:
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Very VERY impressive, especially the horseshoe bend!
I dunno, years ago the crew of my last Royal Navy submarine (HMS/M Andrew) was invited to the Penthouse Club (by Bob Guccioni no less), and I can personally guarantee that the silicone industry was very well supported (no pun intended but noticed on preview) at the London location.
Amphion class diesel boat, was it not?

I was on USS Gato SSN615 out of New London in 1972 & we didn't get any invitations to Penthouse Club! :(
300px-USS_Gato_(SSN-615)_2.jpg
Gato was an uprated Permit class, nearly identical to USS Thresher except for improved construction & added 11 foot section between reactor compartment & forward part of the boat. Same sub that collided with the Soviet K-19 in the Bering Sea a couple years before I came on board. At the time I came on board no one on the crew, whether or not they had been been on board during the collision or not, said a word about the accident & I didn't find out until years later when it was declassified.
Yes, those clamps are the bee's knees –
Now there’s some 1940’s slang! Yep, they're the nuts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Or “The Dog’s Bollocks” (as we of the RN say)

DA - Andrew was an A-class, and the last RN submarine to fire a 4” gun while surfacing. A pretty hairy operation, but well worth doing, if only to see the signal the skipper sent out post-bangs. Andrew’s gun is now in the Submarine Museum in Gosport, formerly HMS Dolphin, home of SM1, FOSM and the wonderful 100’ escape training tank.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”