• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hose-a-palooza

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: hose-a-palooza

Post by tribologist »

That tool looks better than the original. Very elegant! Im thinking it might be possible to make one out of a cable spring clamp removal tool or a a locking fuel hose clamp tool so it can be done from the side.... you got me thinking! What size wire do you use?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Andrew’s gun is now in the Submarine Museum in Gosport, formerly HMS Dolphin, home of SM1, FOSM and the wonderful 100’ escape training tank.
HMS Andrews deck gun...there it is
HMS_andrew_4_inch_deck_gun.jpg

When I was going through sub school I got out of having to do the 100 ft free ascent (blow & go) escape training because the tank was down for maintenance at the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

DA - "Her (Andrew's) Commanding Officer, LtCdr Paul Hoddinot, signaled Admiralty: "The reek of cordite has passed from the Royal Navy's submarine service. Last gun action conducted at 03 13:30 Zulu. Time to first round: 36 seconds. May the art of submarine gunnery rest in peace, but never be forgotten." Taff Evans was the gunner; don't remember the other 2, but Jamie Munro passed the shells up the wardroom hatch and almost drowned when the hatch opened before the combing had cleared the surface; luckily there was a big-ass bubble. I believe this was 1974, and I think the 36 seconds refers to the time to firing after the order "Gun Action - Surface" from periscope depth.

Those were the days, and the reek of diesel is still with me. Regarding the tank, we did individual free ascent, and then from a compartment with 15 guys in it, followed by a suited ascent from an escape hatch (which was kind of boring after the other two.) Enormous fun and perhaps a bit optimistic in retrospect.

Sorry for veering off topic, but.....
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

tribologist wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:29 pm That tool looks better than the original. Very elegant! Im thinking it might be possible to make one out of a cable spring clamp removal tool or a a locking fuel hose clamp tool so it can be done from the side.... you got me thinking! What size wire do you use?
Most of that is .051 monel. I was given that by someone, you would not want to pay for a roll of that now --over $100! Stainless is much cheaper, and really almost as good, just not quite as "soft" to work with. Actually, if you have access to scrap 14ga copper, that works good too.

Tom
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

$2.90 each at Defender for good # 6 Swedish ABA hose clamps... 22 of them just on the AC install....

Now i need to get Sandvik Stainless wire...

This will revolutionize my life as much as figuring out how to crochet-tie wire lacing and do one handed constrictor knots.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

McMaster sell 1/4 lb spools!! Weeeee!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

[*]You can even get SS safety wire at Harbor Fright, so that’s easy.

I do like the craft aspect of making those wire clamps. It’s time consuming at first, but you’ll get quicker and better after you’ve made a few. I even have been replacing the clamps on the water system at our business now with the wire ones, I really like them.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I would trust those more than any non brand hose clamp. Wrong alloy and you get stress corrosion cracking. I hate the perforated clamps. Had many fail me. I don’t use zip ties where it matters either. Good lacing cord is much nicer. Thanks again for showing them.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Snap ring plier.. im heading to Horrorfreigh tomorrow picking up a ”core”
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Twister and snap ring plier Weeee. Im going to run out of wire.....
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Those look good, you've certainly got the idea :D
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Nice job on the hoses! I bought two feet of 3/4" silicon hose to use as an adapter for different sized hoses/barbs for my overlander vehicle and the cost of that hose what pretty high so I shudder at what it would be for all that you have but sure looks good.

I am familiar with the tools for wire hose clamping as they still use them in general aviation, like the one in the last pic by tribologist. Makes sense to use this in place of the usually crappy typical hose clamps!
Good thread!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”