• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Heater duct Y-valve

Albin's "power cruisers"
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Heater duct Y-valve

Post by LopezMike »

At some point in the past, the exhaust ducting from the my diesel heater was simplified so that it only vents into the cabin just in front of the engine box. All very workman like and made out of 3" steel tubing.

There have been a number of times that I would have preferred to have the warm air come into the cockpit. The problem is that I cannot find a Y-valve to facilitate switching between the two vent routes.

I may be able to cobble together a T-fitting so that I simply plug up the outlet vent that I don't desire at the moment. Even finding 3" T fittings is a bit of a fuss.

So does anyone have, in their junk box, one of the original T-valves or know of a source?

Thanks
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Re: Heater duct Y-valve

Post by coolchange »

I just put in a "T" and ran a tube to rear cabin and at each end is a vent fitting that can adjust airflow...allows balancing and air in each area. FYI I also have a reddot type heater for the helm area..it runs off engine so heat is avaliable while cruising..it is one of my top additions.

Edit add: I used a 3" copper T to go into the diesel heater lines...got it at a plumber supply house
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

When I needed to upgrade the ducting on my boat I purchased the y-fitting, ducting and vent outlets from a local Espar dealer. As in the post from Coolchange the outlets can be adjusted and closed to suit individual needs. It wasn't a huge cost and it came with the benefit of knowing everything matched and fit.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LopezMike »

I hadn't thought of the copper pipe fitting. And where did you get the adjustable vent fitting?

I'll look into an ESPAR dealer. The last time I looked at stuff from them I nearly had an episode after seeing the prices.

Thanks to all,
Mike
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LopezMike »

Just priced a 3" copper T at a local box store. Hmm. $85 u.s.

Tomorrow I'm going to measure the output temperature of the heater. That way I can make some sort of informed decision about what to make any vent fittings out of. Some plastics can take quite a bit but not all. Galvanized sheet metal solders quite well if I can get a decent fit. Epoxy?

Hot glue doesn't seem advisable. Ahem.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”