• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

trailer fitting

Albin's "power cruisers"
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: trailer fitting

Post by nebulatech »

Those ubeam supports look REALLY nice! (You may have a side business with some of us...)
20200619_131005.jpg
Here is the underside of my keel board. I was advised to use at least a 2x10 in case the keel wasn't full on center. I went with a 2x12. You can see where I installed 2x4 supports (there are 2 between each frame cross member). The load bearing capability of wood depends on it having the long edge vertical. Since the 2x12 has long side horizontal, I cut these supports and used 6 3" deck screws along with some tite bond 3 to attach them. Not sure the glue was necessary.

You can't see the top, but I ran u-bolts up from the bottom (3/8 I think). Prior to installing the bolts, I used a forsner bit to counter sink the holes and added fender washers. I topped it all off with some scrap carpet from when we bought the house 9 years ago. I will eventually replace with better stuff. If you remember, I had about 2 weeks to get the trailer ready to pick up my boat sight unseen. Your advice at the time was critical. Thanks again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I can't tell from that picture, is that a cross member or the axle that the keel support is sitting on?
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I am no trailer expert, but that looks very good, for carrying ability and workmanship. I wonder if it's worth considering putting 4 - 6 adjustable jackstands on it so you can make adjustments once the boat's in place.
Also - please change the tires - your boat looks great and .......
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Those are cross members. 3" square galvanized. There are no "axles" perse. I can snap a photo of the wheel mounting configuration tomorrow.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Correction:

The cross members ARE the axles.
15927535584191038675471190246321.jpg
In rough shape. One more thing added to the list. Glad I checked...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Oh, I see, those are the rubber-sprung torsion axles, similar to coil spring type on mine.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'd be somewhat suspect of those axles. Looks like "rust shaking hands". Last summer our Flagstaff friends broke an axle coming across Idaho on the way back from Blaine, WA. Their axle was conventional leaf spring & looked OK from the outside, but had rusted from the inside out & left them stranded in a hotel for four days waiting to get a replacement axle. We're not the only ones who do these long road trips.
005.JPG
To complicate matters they had their 'ship's cat' with them. It was a 'cool cat' but was old & got sick earlier this year & had to be put down.
20160726_090942.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

My local ramp is about 5 miles from my house, but those axles will be replaced by next season. The gentleman I bought the trailer from was disappointed at the corrosion on the axles after just 3 years, so he ordered a new trailer made at great expense. I think I can come out better just replacing the axles, and some other upgrades.

Anyway, I hope those pics help out. I'm still drooling over the angled supports!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

The axles on my trailer show some rust too, but as they are 2” solid steel bars, I doubt they are significantly weakened :wink:
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

In Europe 12 or 13" wheels are the norm, even for big boats. 3 or 4 axles help. If you can get the tires I'd be tempted to stick with the small wheels, ease of launch and retrieve being the main consideration. Great looking trailer, and love the suspension.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Just to update this thread:

Yesterday, we slid the trailer under the boat. I first borrowed the trailer dolly I made for my sister-in-law.

The hull was supported in the stern by two boat stands, so it was just a matter of using two hydraulic jacks under the keel near the bow to work the trailer under. By switching back and forth between the two, it is possible to slowly get passed the axles and crossmembers.

It took a bit of doing, but eventually we got it all the way under, now we just need to build bunk supports.

There will be a keel bunk under the last 12' of the boat, 10' rear bunks on each side, and then 6' bunks on each side forward. Still lots to do before launch day -- we hope to get it in this year sometime before it has to come back out! :wink:

Tom
Last edited by motthediesel on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Tom, the pictures aren't loading for me, phone or laptop.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Hmm, I may need to check my settings on Google photos.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Try it now -- moved the photos to Imgur, Google Photos baffles me :(
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Here's the keel bunk. It's a treated 2x6 topped with a 3/8" PVC cap. That stuff is quite soft, and I bullnosed the edges with a 3/8" radius bit. I think it will be a pretty good surface for the hull to sit on, we'll see I guess.

The bunk was sprung up into the shape of the keel using three jacks, we then cut tapered blocks to space it from the aluminum cross channels.

Next we'll make the outside stern bunks in the same manner, jack them up into contact with the hull, and weld up stand-offs that will bolt to the trailer beams.

Tom

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”