• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pilothouse interior paint

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Pilothouse interior paint

Post by NickScheuer »

Our 1976 A-25 Deluxe was owned for many years by one owner who I believe was the original purchaser. At some point the pilothouse interior was repainted with white semi-gloss over an unattractive medium green color. My question to y'awl is whether that green is original? The white is peeling around the windshield, so it needs to be brushed or sanded before repaint again with white enamel. The green doesn't look like a color Albin would have chosen for a stock boat.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Pilothouse interior paint

Post by dkirsop »

The original finish was a flat semi-porous surface texture of indiscriminate colour. Kind of off-white, speckled and prone to mildew ; which is why I painted mine with a marine gloss paint so it would be easy to wipe down and keep clean.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Could the green have been a primer?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I use Interlux Bilgekote everywhere. As long as you can live with BRIGHT WHITE, or gray. Perfect. Hard as a rock and easy to touch up, if you aren't overly picky.

I've done plenty of scraping and never found green.

As noted, the white is bright. I wouldn't use it in the cabin. Dave has a good answer.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Here is a photo from when I got my boat showing the original colour of the cabin interior
Forward Cabin.jpg
And here is how it looks now
Forward Cabin New.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Much nicer!
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Color me jealous of your floors

...and the fact your curtain rods are in order

......and the fact that your boat is in working order

I better stop...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I used Petit EasyPoxy in an off-white (Hatteras white?) with the optional "Performance Enhancer" hardener additive - makes a one part epoxy into a two part, evidently. And, yes, that is the name. The Petit staff must get a chuckle out of naming it that.

He said "staff".

Ahem. Sorry. Moving on...

I stripped the pilothouse down to the bare fiberglass prior. No green seen.
20190526_183946.jpg
20190603_163145.jpg
I used the Interlux Bilgecoat in white for the bilge. Agreed... It is bright!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Good job! You will find it makes it very easy to keep clean and fresh. Just a seasonal wipe down with a 50% white vinegar solution keeps mildew at bay.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

My wife and I just threw a bunch of paint around the pilothouse, made a big difference for sure but when I stood there admiring it something was bugging me a bit...then it came to me, the gap between the pilothouse and coaming was ugly ugly! So I ran a bead of white Sika 292 and it made a world of difference. Tidied it up real nice!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My question to y'awl is whether that green is original?
I doubt green was original, more like an off white to beige, if you 'ketch' my drift. :lol:

Seriously, my wheelhouse interior could use repainting too, which I didn't get a round tuit last year. Have some left over white Easy Poxy deck paint (hopefully it's still good), but it's too hot down here to even think about doing anything but lounging in the pool sipping Margaritas.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Thanks, guys. I thought there was no way Albin would have put that green in their original build. No problem; it will be repainted white.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

I painted my A25 pilot house interior with Rust-oleum Topside paint - Gloss Oyster white Acrylic Enamel. $15~ a quart at Home Depot. Used about 1/2 qt & 2 hours with small low nap roller and cheapo one and done chip brush. Love it. Bright, easy to clean and looks more finished then OEM light grey rough fiberglass finish. I'm looking to do the deck & top side next w same paint and color.
Last edited by OldDemps on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Nice, OldDemps. The main problem I have with interior paint projects on the WillieC is my BC hardtop underside. Not the original Albin construction. Mine is a one-off homemade project that shows chunks of fiberglass strands and peeling sections. It has been painted at least once but the mess shows through. I would love to come up with a solution, once and for all. There are a number of issues with this hardtop, but its pluses greatly outweigh its minuses. None of which terribly affects our boating pleasure, just the feng shui of the whole thing, whatever that is. It doesn't feel right.

I keep threatening to rip the whole top off and starting from scratch, but this would be a prolonged outdoor project, like lawn maintenance in the spring. Something I would rather avoid. I have pondered covering the mess with paneling of some sort, but that only complicates ripping it off later to fix the other issues that need addressing: Wire chases, attachment dysfunction, mast and mast light problems. It's a mess, but it works fine as is. You should have seen it when we bought it.

I'd post pics, but this would go straight to the Hall of Shame. Besides, it's time for a boat ride.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I painted my A25 pilot house interior with Rust-oleum Topside paint - Gloss Oyster white Acrylic Enamel.
I used Sand Beige Rustoleum Marine enamel paint for the plywood floorboards, which is a near match, or at least as close as I could get, to the original gel coat color of the lower part of the cockpit. The round thingy on the port wall in the upper left is the jib sheet cleat for the sail rig. The hinges were for a jump seat the previous owners had added & I subsequently removed. The bench seat cushions are ones I made myself using Indigo blue Sunbrella upholstery fabric. At the bottom of the photo is my folding step ladder for ingress-egress over over the aft cabin top, since with the original style canvas the single frame bow precludes side entry. Painting the floorboards was a lot cheaper than going with any form of teak & holly flooring, whether real wood of vinyl composite. Have spent enough money on this boat as it is. I did replace the ratty looking wood panel under the driver seat where the AC outlet is earlier this year. This photo also shows the difference between the early model engine box which is stepped with a portion under the first floorboard section and the later model boxes where the full length is above the floorboards & is hinged so part of it can be opened instead of tilting the whole thing up as with early models like ours. If look close you can see part of an access hatch previous owners cut into the right side of the box so one can check oil & peek down into the engine without going through the rigamarole of raising the whole box since with the Yanmar engine the dipstick is on the right side. However it does give us room to fit a cooler under the seat.
20181129_160531_resized.jpg
I like that Oyster White, nice contrast, might try that when weather cooler off in October. Although I could just use the leftover Sand Beige. We'll see. This afternoon at 5PM local time it's 112 on our patio.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”