• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

DA’ing with Driftless!

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

DA’ing with Driftless!

Post by tribologist »

Towed Driftless to Albany on Friday and now we are heading down the river! We slept overnight in Coyemans after we said goodby to our son Eric that towed us up there. Saturday we took us to Kingston to visit big belly Mathilda.
E70B54AC-2BAB-4877-905F-80966936FF39.jpeg
Sunday we got down to Newburgh, NY and was paid a visit by Mathildas grandchild. USS Slayter.
410904C8-0067-4360-BFAE-36A3F2981B55.jpeg
That marina was something! 1.5 kt across the docks. I have no idea on how i could dock in one of those slips but i did not see any single screws there either. Maybe its time for a bow thruster? Lewmar 110TT is affordable but I don’t know if it is big enough?
1FA6EF88-9F67-4317-96F5-14C93DD176FB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: DA’ing with Driftless!

Post by tribologist »

Today we are going to Tappan Zee. Just passes West Point
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Indian point, last reactor was turned off in April this year
BA05C13A-D69F-42CE-83A9-B39CEA9EB78B.jpeg
I got my own nuke plant on the rear cabin. Exactly 7 kt wind from rear so I started up the AC:-). Happy wife happy....,
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Awesome! Looks like great fun & adventure. Thanks for the DA reference, ha ha. What kind of river currents are you seeing on the Hudson? How far up is it tidal? Sadly due to COVID we've postponed our Triangle Loop until next year & are spending this summer at home with A/C cranked & lounging in the pool. Our besties who cruised the PNW in company with us several times are at this moment up in Wisconsin near the Apostle Islands in the process of buying a 1978 Southern Cross 31 double ended cutter rigged sloop they want to live aboard for a couple years & next year sail through the Great Lakes & transit Erie Canal & on down the East Coast & ICW to at least North Carolina.

Large bowsprit overhang, deep (which is good) but not especially roomy cockpit, canoe stern good in following sea but makes it difficult to deal with a dinghy & means using a side ladder to board. Tiller steered but does have a tiller autopilot. Two heavy CQR anchors on the bowsprit but no powered windlass. They plan to stow a Montgomery 6' 8" pram row/sail dinghy on the foredeck which might interfere with the staysail jib boom. Plus it has relatively shallow draft full keel with transom hung rudder not too different from our A25 keel, which means it won't point very well & tough to back up. Powered by a 16 HP raw water cooled Yanmar 2GM20. Not the boat I would pick even if we were looking for a sailboat, but they have their hearts set on something traditional & the price is right at $15K, so whatever.
SouthernCross.jpg
SoutherCross2.jpg
SouthernCross3.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

We are holding out for you. Next year unlesd i end up here....
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

This morning we are going down from Tappan Zee. Were heading for harlem river-Hell Gate-East River- Battey and Liberty landing for the night. We can see Manhattan now.

Plan is to enter Harlem river at 10:45 ich to make it to Hell gate at noon end rhen get flushed down with the tide.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We are holding out for you. Next year unlesd i end up here...
Don't tell me, let me guess, Riker's Island?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

Sing Sing aka Ossining
Slow Poke A25 #1110
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

honza wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:49 pm Sing Sing aka Ossining
Yepp!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Harlem River! Absolutely tranquil. Nothing like I expected. We were early and an other boat asked for bridge opening at Spyuten Dueyvil?? So we basically drifted Driftless down to Hell Gate
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

East River. One barge, few small ferries. Very comfortable. If you can be there with a turboprop aircraft on floats, its safe for an A25. It was calmer than on hudson on the weekend where the 58 ft yatches tried to flip us.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Bedtime on Driftless. Swedish Cottage on Manhattan
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Great picture!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

ssrig wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:25 pmGreat picture!
Im looking forward to see it on a real screen. It looks very cool on my phone
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

So cool! Keep 'em coming!
La Dolce Vita