• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

DA’ing with Driftless!

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: DA’ing with Driftless!

Post by tribologist »

Leaving Liberty Landing 7am. Timing hell gate for slack tide and now we are heading to CT river. Storm is coming tomorrow so we are doing a long one today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Great photos! I think you should submit the top one of the NY skyline with low hanging cloud to BoatUS magazine photo contest. It's perfect composition once you correct for the slight tilt of the horizon (most of my photos are like that). Has potential to be a cover photo. Looks like a winner to me.

You too could get your own write up in BoatUS. Email Charles Fort at cfort.boatus@gmail.com or CFort@BOATUS.com & tell him your story & that I sent you & mention that Driftless is a one hull number off sister ship to La Dolce VIta.
BoatUSmagaritcal1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Lol. That would be fun!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Go for it! More fame & glory for Albin 25s!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Wee!

Saybrook ahead. TMR 0:36. 4 gal left. 108 miles in one day. Last we went by the Marine we saw Gene Machine docked there so it should be ok for Driftless
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

4 gal left. 108 miles in one day.
Whoa! That is one long run! 108 nautical miles? Better than twice our single day distance record. That's gotta be what, 16 hours run time? 4 gallons left is cutting it a bit close. I consider 5 gallons to be "on reserve" & don't like to let our tank get much below 10 gallons remaining If I can help it. If you take a heel hard over to port far enough to suck air in the fuel line then you'd have to bleed the system to get started again, which could get dicey in the wrong place at the wrong time since being an early model like ours you'd have to remove the driver seat, take up the first floorboard panel, swing open the cabin bulkhead section, & lift the engine box up. All while adrift dead in the water.

Remind me, what is TMR?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I'm uneasy when I see the "low fuel" light come on on my dashboard in the car. It warns you have 20 miles left but when I fill up and put 17-1/2 gallons in an 18 gallon tank... like I said, uneasy.

Awesome cruise! Welcome home!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

TMR is time remaining in NMEA 0183 language. Thats what InavX show on the display but it also show TOA Time Of Arrival rater than ETA.. its a confident GPS.

It would be nice to have a buffer tank for that reason but that adds its own risks since it needs its own pump. Im thinking of stuffing 5 gal in gallon polyethylene 1gal bottles we get solvents in. They are like super duty milk jugs.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

The other effect is that the pickup is in the front. It woukd be great to know more about how things work but there is no good way to figure it out other than go out and run out of fuel in bad weather and survive to write about it.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We inherited a pair of yellow 5 gallon jerry cans from the PO (yellow = diesel). We've never needed to use them & never carried them along. One of the POs had added the bowsprit sticking out 3 feet & hung the two jerry cans in a rack on the bowsprit, which I thought was insane, so I removed the rack & cut the bowsprit as short as I could for the anchor roller. Wondered how in the world one could transfer the fuel without risk of spillage. BUT, I've seen a YouTube video where a Canadian guy came up with a nifty siphon rig for jerry cans. The idea was to take a rubber stopper and drill two holes through it. Then fit a 1/4" copper dip tube reaching to the bottom of the can to which is clamped a long transparent hose to the dip tube long enough to conveniently reach the fuel deck fitting. If you made the siphon hose long enough you wouldn't even need to move the cans, keep them lashed to the bow rail up front. Then a 2nd short copper tube is run through the stopper to which is clamped another short hose. You set the whole rig up at a point higher than the fuel tank. Run the dip tube siphon hose down into the main tank & blow into the other tube to create positive pressure in the jerry can to start a siphon flow. Once the siphon is established just let it run on it's own until all the fuel is transferred. No muss, no fuss. So if we ever needed to carry extra fuel I'd make up a siphon rig like that & stow the cans on deck lashed to the bow rail.
0306141616.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Hmm how do I delete a duplicate
Last edited by tribologist on Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

LOL,, Nope, I'm not hanging 10 gallon of diesel like that either.....Terrible idea!! I do like the siphoning idea.

I was thinking of adding a tee on the return line and install a small fuel pump I have laying around but its probably better to do a dedicated transfer hose to the rear fitting that just have the plug.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I've got a siphoning rig I got at Ace hardware other marine places have them. Costs maybe $17.00. It's a copper tube with a marble in it you just shake it to get the siphon going. Plastic tubes on each end. It works great. You can empty five gallons and not spill a drop. I use to use them in Australia they finally came. I'll take a picture if you want.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”