• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 for sale in Sweetwater TN - FYI

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

A25 for sale in Sweetwater TN - FYI

Post by tribologist »

There is a nice A25 for $12000 listed on Facebook in Sweetwater TN
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A25 for sale in Sweetwater TN - FYI

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That does look like a pretty good deal. Newer 27 HP Volvo. 1972 early version full displacement. Anyone recognize what model engine this is? Certainly not MD series. Says 2003.
TN25.jpg
Nice 2006 aluminum trailer too. I'd want to move the winch tower back a bit, but otherwise worth a lot. Boat looks every bit as good as ours except lacks stern rail & life lines & has a very small swim step. Has lifting davits too. Those run in the $1,500 range. Worth a look for anyone in the market east of the Mississippi.
TN25a.jpg
Sweetwater is southwest of Knoxville.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

The swedes has more to choose from. The really strange part is that the prices are not changing much between the old Md3 engine ones and the ones with newer engines. Probably due to the fact that they can still get parts over there for the Md17 and Md3's. the SEK is about 10SEK to 1 USD

<site links to google, links to ebay>

I know you dont like facebook but the Swedish Albin 25 facebook group is really funny to watch. Most Albin 25 owners are the original Brohall pictured type with a young couple with two kids and a dog... A few Pensioneers among them... I will steel some images and post here.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:35 pm That does look like a pretty good deal.
Midship cleats!! You can actually still buy that exact cleat in Sweden.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I think there is also a source for the cleats in Florida too. I had to replace my transom ladder, which is really just a cleat with the chrome-plated bronze bits moved to to the ends of the teak dowel.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Midship cleats!! You can actually still buy that exact cleat in Sweden.
I got mine back in 2014 through Brass Works Inc, which I don't think sells them anymore. But Brassworks does have door latch hardware closely matching Albin OEM. $117 including shipping for a pair since.

Plastimo lists the OEM style chrome & teak cleats in their catalog as "Teak & Chrome Bronze Bollards", but have to order/purchase from one of their authorized dealers. Doesn't seem they can be ordered direct from the catalog since there's nothing to click on.

https://www.plastimo.com/en/deck-equipm ... -9803.html

Deck cleat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

2003 is the newer version VP, but still old-ish. I think they have some issues with the HX/exhaust manifold configuration. Do your homework.
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

I'm trying to get time to look at the boat. Is the VP 2003 that bad? I've tried finding out as much as I can before looking. The "cold start" system seems to get stuck, and the exhaust elbow can get clogged or even rust through. It's probably overpriced if it needs to be repowered.
1972 A25 hull #1366
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

WillieC is the expert on VP engines. Now that I think of it it reminds my of the one in Hira Reid's "Shatoosh" when the new owner brought it up to Lake Pleasant & we helped her launch for a test run. It overheated but that was just because it had a bad raw water pump impeller & there weren't any spares on board. Otherwise it started and ran fine at first
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

DA... I think Hira repowered with the 2003. She loved it. I think that boat is now around Sacramento. I am not pooh-poohing it at all. All these engines have their quirks. I do like my add on Sendure HX though. Engine manifold is all green coolant, all the time. Only the exhaust elbow sees saltwater and not terribly expensive to replace every six years or so. I think it was Nick Scheuer who had water back up into his engine (MD17C) via the exhaust elbow. Waiting at locks with good current against transom. Plenty of fixes noted here at AOG for that. I keep busting other stuff that keeps me busy.

Just keep good maintenance on the 2003 and money in your checking account.
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

Thanks for your reply. I’ve seen the stainless elbows for sale for the 2003. Any boat that sits in salt most of the time will have more quirks than a freshwater. If I buy her, she’ll be 95% fresh while in, but mostly on the trailer. I grew up in Destin FL where everything metal slowly falls apart.
1972 A25 hull #1366
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

DA... I think Hira repowered with the 2003. She loved it. I think that boat is now around Sacramento.
Last I heard Hira sold Shatoosh to the guy in Sacramento who then sold it to Joyce W. from Green Valley, AZ who then changed the boat name back to Shatoosh. Joyce brought it up to Phoenix & Lake Pleasant for sea trial in spring of 2017 (or thereabouts) but had trouble with the raw water pump so she couldn't get it out on the lake for a test run. That's when we got a look at the boat. Had some issues with the trailer too I believe but I guess got that straightened out? Then she took it up to Comox, BC where she usually spends summer but was traveling overseas with her Reiki business when we stopped in Comox in June & July 2018 so we didn't get to meet up. Then her partner passed away & as of the last I heard the boat was back at Hira's place being stored in Seattle until who knows when. Not sure what the status is now but as far as I know Joyce has no plans to sell it anytime soon.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Thanks for the update on Shatoosh. I need to pay closer attention, maybe stop washing my tee-shirts altogether.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”