• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Modified A27 Bench Seat

Albin's "power cruisers"
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Modified A27 Bench Seat

Post by Ambler27FC »

Updated my A27 bench seat for better engine access. Bucket seats are popular, but I got used to leaning against the side and putting my feet up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: Modified A27 Bench Seat

Post by DCatSea »

Very, very nice setup. Can I ask about your deck covering as well?
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

The carpet on the floor is rubber-backed outdoor carpet from the hardware store. I cut one piece for the engine hatch and another for the back cockpit. It might only last a couple of years, but cheap and simple.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Sounds good to me. My engine room hatch is wooden (from a long ago PO I think) and heavy. My next project is to sand it down, re-stain and put 2 coats of "Extra Fine Clear Anti-Slip Spray for Wood" from SlipDoctors on it. A "cheap and simple" carpeted cover would be most useful
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

That is very cool! I took apart my helm chair over the winter as it was falling apart. Haven't rebuilt it yet as I wasn't thrilled with the full bench seat. I was thinking about making a new bench seat where the backing could be moved or swing back so you can face the cockpit.

The additional seat you have, does that swing up from the side or do you lift it off and put it in place with some brackets? What material did you use for the framing?

Thanks,
John
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

JFOkie - it swings up from the side on hinges. Made it out of oak, coated with epoxy and paint. The wood wasn’t cheap, but I was able to reuse most of the bench seat hardware. A bench seat with a backrest that swings back and forth would be really nice too. I was prioritizing engine access with this
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Post by sailonset »

Nice solution!
Our 27 came with but a single, backless seat. No sign of the original bench. Cheaper than a bench was two seats on a frame I built over the winter. The seats' swivels can slide out and face the cockpit as JFOkie was wondering about. (If the platform had been half a foot longer, the seats could actually swivel around. Photo taken while all still in a bit of a pre-launch mess.
IMG_1103x1200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Very nice! If you did increase the length so that the inboard seat pivots i imagine it would be the most useful seat on the boat. Supporting a bench seat with the engine hatch open seemed to be the awkward part.
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Post by sailonset »

As you can see in the pic, the folded port seat is facing aft. The swivels slide into holders Wise also makes. Simple to release, slide out, turn the seat and slide back in. The engine hatch is a little more work. Even with the original bench seat, was it easy? Our hatch(es) are enlarged - they span the entire pilothouse. I created a small sliver that opens to starboard without moving anything. Enough to see below, even flip the stop lever on the Yanmar. (Why? Another story.) And to port you can lift up the hinged end panel and get down on that side. For more access, it's slide off the seats and lift off the platform they sit on. Said platform is cellular PVC with Meranti trim for looks and strength. Roll up the "oriental" rubber entrance mat and finally remove the hatch panels. Probably easier with the two original hinged doors!
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ambler27FC »

Ah, I see now - perfect. I hadn’t considered that the bracket allowed you to reverse the seat.

I am the nervous type that has spent too much time in the engine compartment - and I’ll spare you those stories (learning opportunities). I also know exactly where the stop lever is and have used it. Before a trip I am always down there checking fluids and running through my checklist. I have everything in order now ... but old habits. Used to rest the bench seat on the STBD side hatch, which worked - but was awkward.

Very curious about your engine hatch - not sure I understand the description. Sounds like a 3 sections, and spanning the entire pilot house is very unusual.

Next project is removable and height adjustable table between the two bench seats. It would be nice to have a table that could be lowered to the height of the bench seats to create a lounger. Complete mastery of my A27 requires a place to lay out with a book and drink (... and better docking skills). Having trouble finding a good pedestal though.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”