• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A-25 head remodel?

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: A-25 head remodel?

Post by NickScheuer »

Shgower design has evolved to combine the shower curtain and rigid pan on the cockpit sole with a giant (5' tall x 30" x 30") plastic bag resembling a paper grocery shopping bag. The bottom and 6" up each side would consist of a rather heavy flexible vinyl which would withstand foot traffic, while the vertical sides would consist of much lighter vinyl like conventional shower curtains. The bottom of the bag would drain into a gasoline jug under the sole (size selected to fit space available). The top of the shower curtain would be attached to the cockpit canvas bows, or the rigid BC top, and would be split top to bottom on one side with an overlap, permitting entry and egress while in-place. Such a "shower bag" could be easily folded and stowed out of the way when not being used. Some sort of plastic welder tool would be all that is required to fabricate from commercially available vinyl. This shower could also be set up on a swim platform to drain overboard when an anchorage location permits such grey water discharge. However, I'm sure my First Mate would prefer the cockpit location, with Skipper stationed outside the curtain with a towel ready.
Dpetrey2001
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Ketchikan AK

Post by Dpetrey2001 »

Ok guys I read all your comments. Now they are all valid and they all have good and bad points. But look at it this way for me I have no marinas to go park in every night it’s on the hook or float at night. Southeast Alaska doesn’t have the luxury of that so you have to pack more fuel water and supplies. I’m looking at a rain catchment from my hardtop to keep my tanks full. I got a 5 gal 110v hot water heater for warm showers and I plan on doing something like motor city did but with a composting toilet.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Where is your water heater located, just curious?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Mine is located under the forward port bunk. I chose an Isotherm because it could be laid horizontally and anchored to the curve of the hull.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

A friend an his wife were showering on the hook in a sparse anchorage using a Sun Shower in the cockpit.

When it was the wife's turn to shower, my friend looked around the anchorage. He said he saw a few pairs of binoculars looking back at him.

One word: Privacy.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

We have two solar showers on deck at all times, and properly secured to the handrails too as willieC pointed out. One of those solar showers was found floating in the water off of Wallace Island!
When we want to shower I attach a aluminum extending pole onto our rear pulpit with the base on the swim grid with re usable zip ties then hang the solar shower from there, obviously for fair weather but being aft it is usually the least windy spot when anchored.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That wouldn't be ours but you never know. It went asea somewhere north of Anacortes in the looming fog between Guemes and Cypress Islands. My apologies if your raw water intake found it. And I thought gravity was our friend. Not on a boat.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”