• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bilge pump for 27...

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Bilge pump for 27...

Post by hetek »

Ya mean like this?
20200901_130630.jpg
Just came today. My primary will be the low profile automatic 900 in the forward bilge. This will be my secondary in the keel. I'll just connect it to an on/off switch like in my A27FC.

Comes with 12' of wire terminated with two battery clamps (I'll be cutting them off). Seems it can also be used as a diesel transfer pump. The white plastic strainer at the end unsnaps and there is a 3/4 nipple that you could connect an intake hose to.

I intend to tie wrap it to a "dip stick," to keep it in the vertical position and the strainer at the bottom.

$50-ish at Hodges Marine.

And to complete my pump-o-rama, I still intend to install a manual guzzler in the starboard cockpit seat locker... and find a handy spot to stow my manual pump. Just in case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Yup. That’s the one we had on the WillieC when first we bought it. It was not the “plus” model you have. It slips right down in there but requires a separate switch which may be what makes the “plus” model.

Ours was all gunked up and being new boaters didn’t know there were other places to buy boat jit. Bought a unit off the shelf at WM and futzed with it too much but it works. Kicks on about thirty seconds before the boat sinks. I made sure the manual whale pump works, it just needed a good cleaning and new hose.

500gph....8.3gpm...sounds about right for that unit. I will spend the big bucks and install a decent suction pump this winter. Maybe. A serious breach needs to move serious water. Usually the first thing the CG deploys is a dewatering unit. Hoping to avoid that pain.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Cracks me up about the manual Guzzler spec's...

They rate GPM by number of strokes per minute. You want 10 GPM? That's about 70 strokes. If you can settle for 6 GPM, that's about 45 strokes. Sounds like quite the workout to me if you have to move any substantial volume of water.

So, God forbid, you're taking on water, you're panicking and really need a gazillion GPM pump. AND you're trying to troubleshoot and trying to think of a plan b, c and d. All your electric pumps are working overtime...

Hey, I know... I've still got that manual Guzzler!

Maybe worth it, just for the "peace of mind" factor.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Advert for the Guzzler:

When you’ve run out of options and want to look decisive, a real take charge captain.

(Nothing against guzzler. Just an acknowledgement that when things go wrong in a boat, they do so quickly. Nothing like an airplane...)
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

I have heard it say that manual bilge pumps are there to give you something to do while your boat sinks.

Still glad I have one though.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”