• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pre-delux steering failures rash in Sweden...

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Pre-delux steering failures rash in Sweden...

Post by tribologist »

I been following the Swedish Facebook group Albin 25 ägare this summer. Pretty fun actually. Go and check it out. The average Albin owners there are in the mid 30ies... All kinds of cats, dogs and kids... When they put a windlass on they put it on the swim platform. This year has been very fun with all the new owners getting into all kinds of issues. The prices there on A25 is amazing. Nice repowered A25 goes for under $10k... A lot of them are still running AD21. Also quite a few" I got water in the oil, what can be wrong?...)

Anyway. Just this summer I seen three cases where the steering clamp failed and they lost steering on pre-Delux A25's. In one case they were going in reverse and the rudder took up a fight with the prop....

If you have a non delux with old white ball joint you should really fix it. You might remember that mine failed two years ago. The plastic is super brittle and the geometry is wrong on the installation so its just a matter of time before it fail.

Here is how mine looked like and also one I found on Albin 25 ägare on Facebook.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: Pre-delux steering failures rash in Sweden...

Post by nebulatech »

Nice looking out! A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My 1971 pre-DeLuxe steering looks nothing like that. Don't have any photos & it's too darn hot out (over 112 every day, 100 by 9 AM) to go over & take one. Add 10 to 15 degrees to ambient & that's what it's like inside the boat. Will say if steering cable failed some previous owner came up with an emergency stub hand tiller that be attached & crew could work from the aft cabin on directions from the skipper.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:13 am it's too darn hot out (over 112 every day, 100 by 9 AM) to go over & take one. Add 10 to 15 degrees to ambient & that's what it's like inside the boat.
Someone once said that if he owned Hell and Texas, he'd live in Hell and rent out Texas. Seems that AZ might fit into the same category.

Up here in Alberta we get an "Extreme heat warning" at 85°F. Mind you, you probably would not like our January -40's
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:13 am Will say if steering cable failed some previous owner came up with an emergency stub hand tiller that be attached & crew could work from the aft cabin on directions from the skipper.
That's a good idea! I used to have a Dolphin (Sunfish knock-off) whose tiller had an articulating extension. Something like that might actually allow you to stand in the cockpit to steer...

I'm hoping to get working on my aft cabin soon. Right now, my steering gear is buried from what was removed from the forward cabin, cushions, and basically junk. As a COMPETE aside, I found a rectangular canvas yesterday that came with the boat. It's about the size for the wheelhouse canvas cover, so I'm going to use it as a first pass and to make a template for my new canvas. I can also use this one for storage so my new white one doesn't get stained. This is to say Steve, I'll finally be using the part you sent me soon.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Happened again, thit time a follow up from a previous ”repair”. Someone wanted go-kart steering
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Please refresh my memory on where to find the fix. This may become a winter project on the WillieC. Along with cleaning and lubing the cable.

Didn't somebody here make new metal parts to replace the aged plastic?
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

My plastic ball socket failed soon after I bought my boat. I found an off-the-shelf replacement made of steel that needed a shim to fit the smaller diameter cable housing but otherwise works fine. Albin Motor used to sell one too but I can not find it on their new web page. I went to the boat to take a picture but found I would have to remove the starboard aft bunk support for access. I'll post a picture later this week. It was an easy fix.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Here is a replacement for the cable clamp that I used. Throw away the standoff it comes with and just use the clamp. New cable housings are slightly larger than the one on the Albin, I shimmed it using some heater hose and have had no problems with the installation. I seem to recall I paid a lot less than what West Marine is asking so shop around.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seastar- ... ecordNum=9
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Thanks, Mr. K. Can't wait to visit with you all again, in person!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Here are a couple of pictures showing the clamp replacement. It's an easy bolt-in. The stand-off and ball is the original.
Clevis Installation.jpg
Clevis clamp.jpg
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Thats a very elegant solution!!!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

Mine did the exact same thing. I epoxied it back together and made a 1/8” stainless plate to reinforce the back. I posted photos on the Facebook group. If I can figure it out I’ll add them here.
2AA8770A-7449-489D-AAC0-B307B721A29E.jpeg
1972 A25 hull #1366
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I would put a plate on top also. Or a at least big fender washers in case the top gives in.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”