• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Pre-delux steering failures rash in Sweden...

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Pre-delux steering failures rash in Sweden...

Post by tribologist »

By the way. I been told that this style clamps are obsoleted. Only the type with grooved tubes will be sold
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

tribologist wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:07 pm I would put a plate on top also. Or a at least big fender washers in case the top gives in.
That’s a good idea. I should’ve made two. I like the off the shelf solution above for $100. I’d really like hydraulic. :)
1972 A25 hull #1366
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I changed out my whole steering system. I really regret not putting in hydraulic steering. It makes it way easier to install autopilot later.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Tribologist, may I suggest you add your last comment to your thread on replacing your steering head and cable? Just a suggestion.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Lol!! Will do
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Speaking of hydraulic, has anyone installed hydraulic in an A25? I'm happy to be the guinea pig, but it will probably be next spring...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Speaking of hydraulic, has anyone installed hydraulic in an A25? I'm happy to be the guinea pig, but it will probably be next spring...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

The one on Craigslist here in Hartford has it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Interesting, thanks for sharing! I couldn't find it when I looked on the CL ad. Maybe they sold it?

Looks like they glassed in the rudder post, but that picture is enough to give me an idea. That should not be hard to pull off, biggest concern seems to be the hydraulic unit is sitting atop a stringer, and one might have to modify the panels/cushions. Does anyone know what is inside that stringer? Perhaps it could be notched out and reglassed...

I had a 21' Sea Pro center console I added hydraulic steering to. It was silky, velvety, and no resistance. One finger turns at 45mph. I was just flipping the boat, so I didn't have it long enough to learn about any long term implications (wear, maintenance, emergency breakdown) of hydraulic. My steering is OK for now, but when I upgrade, I'm thinking hydraulic is the way to go, in part due to the topic of this thread. The fluid reservoir is at the helm, and its rather deep. I'm moving my electrical out of the head anyway, but that's an installation consideration.

The kits can be pretty pricey, but Hodges has one for under $700, and I think with a little adaptation this could be made to fit inside the well, no modification to the stringers. It's 21" wide. I'l have to run out to the boat to measure, but I think this would fit. It's a smaller, less powerful unit intended for outboards up to 150hp. Since it is made to move a several hundred pound motor, I think it should be fine for a boat moving at sub-10 knots:
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/telhk4200a ... g-kit.html
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

The nice thing about hydraulic is you can add multiple stations. On an A25 no less. Maybe one should add the remote wireless joystick option I saw on a 60 footer in Refuge Cove. He could spin that sucker around the marina sitting on the dock sipping his $10 (CDN) beer.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

60 footer in Refuge Cove? Was that the old gentleman from Sun City AZ? If it is he's the guy who dropped his Verizon cell phone overboard & we helped him get hold of Verizon customer service & have a new one sent to his son in the states to bring up there.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

That’s the gentleman. Another Steve as I recall.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Wow. That's a heck of a remote control boat!

I couldn't find my tape measure when I was in the boat earlier, but I don't think that compartment is 21" wide. Not giving up!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Nebula tech that stringer you are referring to is actually air intake for the engine room, they are connected to the two mushroom vents on deck above the transom and the slots aft of the engine mounts. I’m pretty sure that there is ample space above the stringer as the plywood cover sits above it on a ledge.

I’m not sure if my steering was replaced but it sure is smooth and I can turn it with a finger!

I have seen two boats with a similar standoff as dKirsop posted and both of those plus mine had a fairly robust additional bracket that it mounted to which leads me to believe that there may be some stress on that attachment point, just maybe something to keep in mind.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

That air intake/stringer also has the steel for the engine mounts affixed therein. Anyone with a borescope could fish it in the airholes behind the engine. I shore would like to see how it is built and the extent of the steel.

Elsewhere it has been noted that in the sides of said stringer beneath the engine are two not very well patched holes. Mine exude salt crystals that lay under the engine. Those tubes may trap water that finds its way down there from boisterous following seas coming in the rear deck vents. Or else there is a hole in the hull I need to attend to.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”