• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sailing at Anchor, or Mooring

Albin's "power cruisers"
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Sailing at Anchor, or Mooring

Post by sailonset »

I'm surprised how much our "new" 27 FC sails around on the mooring. I'm used to this with, well, sailboats, but don't think of other powerboats moving around so much. As the edge of Isaias blows through our harbor, I worry about unnecessary strain on the pendants, cleats and all. This is normal? Anyone come up with solutions?
OZXG8548x1200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Re: Sailing at Anchor, or Mooring

Post by stmbtwle »

Just about all boats sail around somewhat, my old houseboat was terrible. The only thing that worked was a long bridle, or setting two anchors, both from the bow.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Hi Sailonset! Your boat looks beautiful, and I love its name.

My first thought was setting two anchors. My second thought was in a mooring field, one must be aware of their neighbors. If you are sailing at anchor, are they? Are the moorings spaced far enough apart so you won't get too cozy with your neighbors if you don't lie on the same line as they do? It looks like you have a pretty spacious area around your boat in the photo. Dropping a second anchor may be an option. I recently read about something called a "Hammerlock Moor," which seems promising, with the caveat of having enough space between you and your neighbors:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threa ... or.191254/
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/ ... -1553.html

The general idea is to drop a second anchor straight down from the roller, which stops the bow from blowing off. Apparently, sailing at anchor happens when the center of effort of windage above the waterline is forward of the center of effort of current below the waterline, and the wind and current are at odds. On my A25, the keel has the most profile at the stern, while above the waterline the wheelhouse has the most profile. Unfortunately, the center of effort of wind will always be forward of the center of effort below. I believe the A27 is similar.

Regarding undue wear, I'm not familiar with how the hardware is mounted on the A27, but I'm a bit disappointed with the A25 and plan to do some reinforcing. One of the biggest threats during a blow is chafing on your lines. I have some old fire hose that I use as a sacrificial cover where lines run through chocks. I think you could probably buy some on ebay. It is tough stuff. ( I've also seen people use rubber hose, but that makes things nasty. ) I poke a hole at the inboard side of the fire hose and run a small line through it so I can tie it off. Otherwise, it slips down the line past where I need it for chafing.

If you try the hammerlock moor, please let us know how it works. I've never done it before.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

My thoughts exactly on center of effort. And nowhere/way to add a riding sail.
The foredeck was not set up for mooring lines. I'd asked the forum a while back about adding a bitt. The cleats on the bowsprit are way too close to the chocks. So I added a pair of cleats on the side, about in the middle of the last section of the pulpit rail. This gives a clear run to the chocks and enough length to clear the splices and such. And I figure this is near the hull/deck joint and therefore strong. Was core, though, which I filled with epoxy.
All the boats do move around, but of course it looks worse in your own! And watching, too, last evening, from shore.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

From what I've read, riding sails aren't very effective in higher winds anyway. I'm glad March Hare rode out the weather without incident!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

The hammerlock moor works well though it may take some practice. It not only stops the swing (usually) but it gives you the added security of having a second anchor down.

Avoid second anchor off the stern. It can cause more trouble than it's worth.
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

Wondering if you could hang a lee board or two from the swim platform?
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

I believe that would exacerbate the problem. From what I've read, sailing at anchor happens when the center of effort of the wetted surface is astern of the center of effort of the wind surface. A lee board off the transom would shift the center of effort of the wetted surface even further aft.

The hammerlock moor creates resistance, in the form of an anchor instead of a plane, at the bow, shifting the center of effort of the wetted surface forward.

If it is easy enough, perhaps you could rig a lee board at the bow? Perhaps run it down the mooring line with a messenger? A dingy anchor could keep it submerged...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

I have a Compac 23 that sails on anchor badly. The quick remedy is to tie a bucket to a line and drop it off the stern. Slows it significantly. Probably doesn't help much on a permanent mooring.
1972 A25 hull #1366

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”