• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Galley Sink Through Hull

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Galley Sink Through Hull

Post by hetek »

All my seacocks were in poor shape. Frozen solid. Seemed like they were never exercised in decades. I 'glassed them over so I at least have a clean slate for the ones I'll reinstall.

I owned a 28 Carver once that I could, now and then, smell a whif of holding tank. The Carver had a waste plumbing system like Chernobyl. Finding the leak wasn't going to be easy.

I had the bright idea of using an automotive coolant leak detector. Basically, it is a bright yellow fluorescent dye that you put into the system and with a UV light and special filter glasses you will see the leak with ease. Or so I thought...

I flushed an ounce of the stuff down the head and looked around at every fitting and hose for the leak. Nothing. I flushed another ounce. Still nothing. Dang, I flushed the whole bottle and STILL nothing. Where the heck was the leak???

I gave up for the evening and decided it was time to go home and regroup my thoughts. As I climbed out of the boat and onto the dock I looked down and saw my boat floating in a sea of bright yellow fluorescent dye!

The overboard waste discharge seacock was frozen partly open allowing the occasional odor... and a whole lot of dye to escape.

Found the problem!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Sorta like my 1959 VW. You knew you were in trouble when it stopped dripping oil.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Here are some photo from 1975 A25 SKOL OEM sink with drain relocated above the waterline by prior owner.
I could occasionally hear a gurgle when under way but don't think the outlet was ever ingesting water and never a back up. It's 90 degree exit from sink worked well for 2 yrs I had the boat and I would go that route if I had to plumb it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

That's similar to what I had on a previos boat too, OldDemps: A 90 and through the hull side.

Come to think of it, I never had trouble with it either. And if the 90 gets clogged, maybe what's clogging it shouldn't be going overboard anyway.

Regardless, a easy clean, I would think.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”