• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Table Post Fitment?

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

A25 Table Post Fitment?

Post by hetek »

Please accept my apologies in advance for these silly questions but I know nowhere else to turn.

I bought a length of 25mm stainless tube to replace my missing V berth table post.. Fits like a glove! But here's my question:

What does the post sit on? Inside the V berth compartment there is a plywood floorboard about 3" above the fiberglass cabin floor. Does the post just sit on the board or does it go through a hole in the board and sit on the fiberglass below? I have an A25 de Luxe model, btw, if it matters.

Or does it just sit in the clamp and not make it to the floor at all?

Again, thanks!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Re: A25 Table Post Fitment?

Post by patclem »

Mine has a (presumably) bronze bracket below the center hatch cover that it slides through. The bracket is screwed into one of the lateral support boards. I'll get pictures late this afternoon if you're interested. It may not be stock. We've been talking about adding a hole or bracket so we can move our table onto the deck in the cockpit as we choose.
1972 A25 hull #1366
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thanks, patclem.

I do have the clamp/bracket you mention. I'm wondering if the post passes through the bracket and rests on the floor below (and, if so, which "floor").

Or... does it simply just clamp on the bottom end of the post?

A thought... anyone have a length measurement for the post itself?

I purchased an extra length of tubing but I don't want to cut it short, if I can avoid it.

My brother used to say "No matter how many times I cut it, it's still too short"!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The overall length of the pipe is 85.5cm.
Table Pipe - Overall.jpg
There is a pin that supports it in the clamp. The distance from the bottom of the pin to the top of the pipe is 31.5cm. The pin rests on the top of the clamp. The diameter of the pin is 6mm - I don't think the diameter is critical to the function.
Upper Portion.jpg
The bottom of the pipe extends through the hole in the lower shelf but does not rest on the bottom of the hull. The lower hole acts as a steady bearing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Dkirsop -

That is perfect!

I even thought of the pin idea without knowing that's how Albin did it. Must be the Scandanavian blood in me.

Thanks much! And love the teak and holly floor too. Classy!

My thanks to all!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thanks to info from patclem and dkirsop, I'm going to call this job done.
20200815_154834.jpg
Evidently there is a difference between the original and de Luxe versions, but I have the answers I needed. Thanks!

Not sure what to do with the table's finish though. It doesn't look varnished. Maybe oiled? But that's a question for another day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Happy that it worked out for you.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Looks great as always Hetek!

I zoomed in on your picture, and that top (and leg support) look like aged nitrocellulose lacquer, which would be the technology of that era. It could be varnish, but the crazing is indicative of nitrocellulose in my experience.

What I've done is to just sand it down to bare wood, being careful not to burn through the veneer. It will refinish as beautifully as the rest of your boat!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Thanks for the keen eye, nebulatech.

I know the boat was in long term storage under a tarp once. I could imagine the hot sun and any trapped moisture just steaming the finish off. ...And the veneer, too, in many places. That's why I replaced much of the plywood (galley and V berth).

For the original pieces, I did just as you suggested: Careful sanding and refinishing. Looks like my table will be on the "to do" list!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
patclem
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tennessee

Post by patclem »

Hetek, does your table also serve as the insert in the v-berth?
1972 A25 hull #1366
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Mine has wooden stops and it fits between the V, but the top angled part sticks out past the berths.
15980491137092673946043672028529.jpg
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

The angled part that extends beyond the support rails makes and excellent hinge! Be sure your knee is well past it when getting into bed.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Yes, it does double duty as the V berth filler platform.

Good to know about the "hinge effect"!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That hinge effect is what encouraged me to abandon the table. Maybe some pieces were missing but I never liked how tentative its placement in berth mode seemed. I made a solid, though removable, infill piece that won't make getting out of bed in the middle of the night look like an I Love Lucy episode.

I repurposed the storage rack in the head for stowing two pieces I use to extend the one piece helm seat for proper daytime naps. This pallet can also be used for "sleeping on the couch", should that need ever arise, say, for a future owner.

We generally leave the vee bed made up (when traveling, not this summer) and do all our social distancing in the main cabin. I describe elsewhere how I altered the helm seat to spin around and face aft. I also made an easily mounted table where we do much of our cooking and all of our meals. I like seeing what's going on in the world while cooking. The portable Origo two-burner allows for great flexibility. Dishes are still done below, though not always. We do treat the A25 much like a VW camper ever adapting it to our surroundings and whims. Though we haven't yet, hauling the Origo to a shoreside picnic spot is not out of the question. With a small tent one could have yet another "couch" option. Keep the boat key in your pocket.

The next improvement will be using the main cabin table to infill the space between the benches for another back up sleeping arrangement. With six week voyages, on the A25 no less, a little space can be a good thing. Not for me, of course... Stowage of additional cushions is always the concern so I keep pondering it.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

A table came with put boat but have never used it in the forward cabin. We gave up on using it in the cockpit due to general obstruction and inability to access the aft cabin. We much prefer to take meals in the cockpit using our 5-day Coleman cooler as a table.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”