• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Any interest in new rubrails for A25?

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Any interest in new rubrails for A25?

Post by tribologist »

The Swedish Albin club has made original rubrails for the A25. They cost around $350 but they weigh close to 50 lb and rolls to a 5’ roll so shipping is going to be pretty bad for one but i bet its not much more to ship 2 or 3 of them on a pallet. Any interest?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: Any interest in new rubrails for A25?

Post by NickScheuer »

I would be interested, but I've got several big expenses coming up.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Hmmm... Consider me VERY interested.

Let me know what the shipping will run, please.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Will do.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Having bought rubber extrusions, both custom and stock, for window and curtainwall applications, this is a valuable effort by the Swedish Albineers. Guardrail from old stock, were it even available, would not be as satisfactory.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Agree. Not sure how they got them done but there are a lot of A25 in use over there. So far i looked at air freight (fright) and its up in the $1000 for a pallet...one can fly there and back for half of that.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

They're an item that has held up well. A bit of "patina" with age, but not worth the expense to replace.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Just throwing it out there... I'm planning to make a sapele rubrail, laminated in place using 1/8" strips and epoxy. I know it's more work, but the raw materials would be about 1/2 the cost of the new rubrail. Then again, I just like wood. Rubber will probably hold up with less maintenance.

Re: patina of the original blue rubber rail, automotive tire shine and a scotch brite pad can do wonders for most rubber, including colored rub rails. Mine was in rough shape and falling off so I didn't even try.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Andrew cook
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thetford VT

Post by Andrew cook »

We’ve had our A25 (Resolve) since 1982, had to jump into Gloucester harbor, due to a gale with the NWS screaming all mariners seek safe haven. We ran in with sunny summer weather as the sky blackened and opened. Put on life jackets, dropped anchor and were blown back toward the granite sea wall.

Our anchor snagged on the chain that held the mooring Lines for the commercial fishing boats. We were pinned between a wooden dragger and a steel hull. When the gale blew out, the wooden hull was gouged, our rubrail had flipped off the deck/hull join , the steel boat had paint scraped off. I wacked the rubrail with a mallet and it popped back.

It looks a little sad now. Having just sold the “big boat” MT34 “Diligent”, Yes I am willing to seriously consider high quality replacement stock.

AC
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I gave up trying to get a freight quote during the summer. I finally got one. Its about $600 to get a pallet from Gothenburg to NY so one would be pretty pricey. With other costs and fees we ate probably looking at $600 ea if we buy the last three
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”