• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Birds! Or what they leave behind.

Albin's "power cruisers"
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, MA

Birds! Or what they leave behind.

Post by sailonset »

Bones? Seagulls eat small animals? Anyway, I found the "roof" and solar panels were covered with guano and, yes, bones. Any practical deterrents folks have found?
SolarBirds.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Birds! Or what they leave behind.

Post by Norseman »

Not sure where you keep the boat: Mooring, dock, slip, whatever?
I have found that gluing CDs to the top of the pilings keep birds away as the sun reflections can be sharp send flashes up or even sideways:
Had a sailboat at the same dock for 14 years and birds would sit on top of the mast and on the spreaders then poo-poo on the navy blue covers
To the point that daily cleaning was needed.
A boat broker suggested the CDs and it seemed to make a difference, the crap was cut in half, then some.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Those bones look like they are from a small mammal, like a possum. I don't see any fresh sinew; they are probably at least a few weeks old. Maybe a bird of prey used your roof as a picnic spot...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

Mooring. Such a mess we never had on our sailboat in the same spot! But a nice, flat space for picnics.
sailonset
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sailonset »

Two weeks ago, every boat in the harbor was pooped. After that I added some deterrents. Clean solar panels today! Did these things work or have the birds just moved on? The plywood is a temporary mount to see if this wire contraption works before epoxying in some T-nuts. Seems like it does. Not sure about the cat, though. They've pretty much replaced owls here.
IMG_1284x1200.jpg
IMG_1285x1200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”