• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AD21 fuel pressure

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Re: AD21 fuel pressure

Post by Bob Noodat »

Thanks, stupid mistake. Must remember to actually re-read my own posts!

Plum76 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:45 pm
I think you wanted the prior image, I think #1 in your attachment is actually the starter setup, but #1 in the prior image in the catalog is the fuel system/injector pump.

Jason
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

Did it start eventually?

I found something that looked like a slug in my Yanmar diesel tank the other day. Despite having a screen in the filler neck. I still don't know what it was, but it would have stopped any fuel flow.

If not dirt in the fuel then an air leak would be be my second choice
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

Well, tried cold start, lots of cranking but no fire. Figured easiest item first, re-bled the fuel rail, little pst, pst from each, tried to start again and it went. Idled after initial start for 10minutes just fine, perhaps simple fix?

Cruising it a little later to see if more than 10minutes reliable, supposed to go 3hr cruise this weekend up to other peninsula, last plannned trip for the year..

Thanks all.

JP
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Eh, maybe spoke too soon. Was able to run the boat about 20-30 minutes, stalled again. Tried rebleeding fuel rail, couldn’t get it to quit bleeding. Pulled pump discharge hose and ran into a pan, pump is shot and barely pumping, plus what it was pumping was so full of air (cavitation) that it was just filling the fuel rail with air.

Throwing spare fuel pump in tomorrow to try and finish the season, ordering new diaphragm pump to revert back to stock shortly.

Can anybody speak to having a fuel/wAter separator in between tank and stock pump? That’s how I’m plumbed currently, seems good idea to have separator if it’ll work with the pump..

Jason
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Many owners have a fuel/water separator between the tank and feed pump. This is the first line of defence in keeping the pump and engine running well. A quick glance will let you see any water or contamination coming from the tank.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Is there anything close to Racor for an alternative? Mine came with the now defunct model, but I can still get elements for it. I like the clear filter bowl for sure. Tiny rubber o-rings, not so much.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Forgive me if I am a little off topic here. The PO for my boat installed an electric fuel pump on the supply to the water separator with a toggle switch. Fantastic for topping off the water separator after a filter change. I’ve always wondered if using this pump to bleed air out of the system could damage the mechanical pump on the engine. Any opinions on this? It would be much quicker than using the lever on the mechanical pump.
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Bob Noodat »

WillieC wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:44 am Is there anything close to Racor for an alternative? Mine came with the now defunct model, but I can still get elements for it. I like the clear filter bowl for sure. Tiny rubber o-rings, not so much.
If you don't mind not spending much, plus necking down from 3/4" NPT, these are excellent:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200739739
20200827_074643.jpg
PS. Use yellow teflon tape on the pipe thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Excellent info. Thanks, Bob.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Well, cobbled back together as it was, was able to complete a bleed and restarted, adjusted my filter bypass valve a bit by ear and seems ok, will be doing sea trial tho afternoon if my backup is available. Have a video, but not online to share via this format..

Looking at the stock configuration vs where I am, I need to replace my diaphragm pump and the fuel filter feed tube, and replumb from my water separator to the stock pump.

On my separator, I don’t know the brand, but filter elements are available through NAPA (and probably elsewhere). The mount is pretty scabby, will maybe do some cleanup over the winter/spring.

Jason
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Scabby Mount...
Yet another great potential boat name.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Plum76 »

Mechanical pump re-fitted, along with a replacement piece of tubing to the fuel filter. Ran it long enough to get warm, do a flush and hold with CLR to try and clean cooling system, then flushed clean water, then ran through 6 gallons of RV antifreeze for the winter.

Some air issues at the rail, but suspect a tank issue there, well below 1/4 tank and not sure how accurate the gauge is that low in the tank, will be investigating that during the tank work later this fall..

Thanks for the help in getting this sorted..

https://i.imgur.com/RMylDl5.mp4

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”