• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cracked keel repair...

Albin's "power cruisers"
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Cracked keel repair...

Post by Dieselram94 »

Finally got around to beginning to repair the cracked keel on my A25. Bought it this way, so no idea what has happened to this boat in the past. Anyways I ground it all out with the thought of laminating it all back in. That turned out less than reasonable so I decided to make some thickened epoxy and repair it with that instead. So after lots of prep, the first batch is In and cured. Now that rudder skeg is rock solid! Used to be loose and you could see the cracks open up if you pulled on the skeg. Now needs sanding and another coat to smooth it up and some gel coat applied.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Cracked keel repair...

Post by WillieC »

Mine was similar, though not quite that bad. When I removed all the bottom paint prepping for new, the glass was noticeably different color in that same area. Nice fix. I stuck my rudder back together in like fashion. Goop and clamps. Paint it!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Thanks!
On the very bottom and up above the skeg, it looked as if it had a ancient epoxy. Almost as if two halves of the hull were put together...so I ground out as much as was reasonable to do. Can’t imagine it was original epoxy but it goes way deep into the keel. I also can’t imagine someone pumping it in that deep. Paint hopefully done soon!
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Great progress. You're giving me confidence, as I have to do the same thing when I get to restoring the outside. Nice pictures and thanks for sharing!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Well, I finally got the first application sanded and shaped. Now I need to get a skim coat applied to smooth and fair.
I am ridiculously slow finding time to work on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Paint that sucker and cover it up with water!
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:25 pm Mine was similar, though not quite that bad. When I removed all the bottom paint prepping for new, the glass was noticeably different color in that same area. Nice fix. I stuck my rudder back together in like fashion. Goop and clamps. Paint it!
The goal is to hit the water next summer. Unfortunately winter is bearing down on us here very soon. Always more to do, but I’m sure your right, I’m being too fussy and should just get it painted!

I’m curious though, when you bonded your rudder back together is it foam inside? My rudder is showing a visible seam most of the way around. I also need to cut a slightly bigger notch to ensure plenty of clearance for the new propeller shaft. I ordered it longer than the old one to ensure I had room to install a cutter/zinc on the shaft between the propeller and cutless bearing.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I did not notice any foam inside. And it weighs a ton. I pried the crack open, scraped out as much looseness as I could and gooped and clamped it. I am surprised on how well it has held together. I did dry it out for a good while though not with any plan in mind. That may have helped. Cold, dry New England winters will do a lot of drying.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:52 am I did not notice any foam inside. And it weighs a ton. I pried the crack open, scraped out as much looseness as I could and gooped and clamped it. I am surprised on how well it has held together. I did dry it out for a good while though not with any plan in mind. That may have helped. Cold, dry New England winters will do a lot of drying.
It should be pretty dry inside as it’s been out of the water for two years. Basically ever since I bought it. I bought it for a long term project so it’s ready by the time my 1 and 2 year old kids are a bit more ready for cruising the maine coast. I think I will do exactly as you did and clean, sand/grind and goop and clamps. I guess after I notch the rudder a bit more I’ll see what that part will need if anything more than thickened epoxy? Cloth and resin too? I guess we will see.
Next summer should see new through hulls and plexiglass windows front and back.

Your right about the winters here drying it out for sure!
I used to live in Shelton Washington as a kid. My grandmother actually bought one of the wheelhouses from the Klickitat ferry when it was rebuilt in 1981 I think it was. I believe she had two others from the Nisqually as well but someone burned those. She moved it to Arlington and lived in it for many years.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Come to think of it I may have wrapped some FG cloth around the edges. Nothing fancy, for sure.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

I’ll be applying gelcoat this week if I can get temperatures that will allow it. I’m hoping it works out. Next after that is fixing up the rudder. I’ll probably start a new thread detailing that work once I get to that, but I can do that anytime as I can do that in my garage and I keep that heated all winter.
I appreciate your advice and insight WillieC
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Hard to imagine but there may be times when the frost line in Maine goes down six feet that you actually miss Shelton.

We’re in Belfair and got our first frost last night. I might think about blowing the sprinklers out this week. Or not.

Stay warm! Das Boot can wait.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:45 pm Hard to imagine but there may be times when the frost line in Maine goes down six feet that you actually miss Shelton.

We’re in Belfair and got our first frost last night. I might think about blowing the sprinklers out this week. Or not.

Stay warm! Das Boot can wait.
Sometimes I do miss that area, especially the mild winters! Might get several inches of snow this weekend if the storm wiggles any🤬 I’m hoping to get the boat covered and this in gelcoat. Planning on next year having a new pole barn to keep my two boats in. You keep warm as well!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”