• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Couple of small mods to Mazboot and ? about insulation.

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Couple of small mods to Mazboot and ? about insulation.

Post by DCatSea »

Just installed an OceanAire SkyScreen with roller bug screen / shade and magnetic closers into the forehatch. $50 bargain from CL - unused. Fits nicely and works well. Small modification to the hatch liner, but quick and dirty - White Gorilla tape for now. (see pic). Forcabin is now dark and bug free.
Also took out original for'd bulkheads in aft cabin and modified to give more legroom in quarter berths. 2 new Hella fans and puck lights - whole new room.
Next task - which it has been so for 4 years - finally improve sound insulation in ER, Question - has anyone used "DYNAMAT" race car products for this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Re: Couple of small mods to Mazboot and ? about insulation.

Post by Plum76 »

I'm planning on doing something like dyanmat on my engine cover this fall/spring as well. I'm assuming the foam that is in there is shot and kinda soaked with oils over the years, so looking forward to getting that cleaned up.

A couple other users have used products from Soundown, not sure which product, but this is kinda my baseline reference:

https://soundown.com/marine-noise-control/

Other reports really have me thinking this will be a big improvement, and reducing rattles and ambient noise is a big deal for comfort during cruising..

JP
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Thanks for the input.
I'm thinking of putting Dynamat on the engine cover, fore and aft bulkheads and as weighted or framed removeable curtains on each side of the engine, dropped down from the edges of the engine hatch. My thought is that this will loosely enclose the engine in an insulation "box" without trapping heat or affecting aspiration. The Dynamat should be flexible to enough. I'm going out tomorrow to take measurements and see if this is feasible.
Somewhere on the forum from a few years ago is a thread in which an AOG member used fire blanket suspended on a framework to enclose the engine. If my memory serves, this seemed to work well.

I'll keep the forum informed (no rhyme intended).
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Knew it was there somewhere. Here is a link to VicK's post about the use of an insulation blanket.(from 2015)

http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... insulation
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Great mods, thanks for sharing! Need up look into that blanket material. I’ve been thing about hanging something in front of the water and septic tanks.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”