• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fogtober

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Fogtober

Post by dkirsop »

Thought I would start a new thread based on the comment by WillieC on boating in fog. I have done my share of boating in fog and these days I am waking up to the sound of fog horns in Swanson Channel and Captains Passage. I often wondered if our boat would show on the radar screens of BC Ferries and the many freighters that now traverse these waters. One piece of equipment that came with our boat was a small radar unit so I set about to use it! I recommend using it in good visibility along with a good chart when getting used to it as some interpretation is required before one is indoctrinated as a "seer".

First lesson was the small boats, such as the A25, may not show up even when equipped with the latest high tech reflectors. I have noticed when cruising with another A25 he is invisible even though his boat has a radar reflector. Another thing to note is that small boats often only appear as a single pixel that quickly fades with the passing of the scan. On the good side, navigational markers show up very well.

If you see a large "island" where none is charted look out! The Queen of Death is near! Larger islands tend to signify Panamax freighters. Bigger still are the Cape class coal freighters churning down the channel like juggernauts.

It is also useful to see who might be creeping up from behind.

The bigger threat is the clueless idiot who travels at 25knots in a small boat thinking he can keep a close eye on the screen and avoid all hazards. We have lots of logs floating in these waters. I watched one such boat miss the bow of the ferry I was on by about 50'; I am sure he had a laundry to do when he got home. SLOW DOWN.

The Collision Regs stipulate that when running in fog you should: turn on running lights, make a sound signal in intervals of 2 minutes, post a look out, and slow to a speed that will allow you to stop quickly within your range of visibility. I also find it helps to stop and turn off the engine to listen from time-to-time.

Now I just tend to avoid fog period - much less stressful.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Fogtober

Post by WillieC »

Great post, David. Thanks. We sometimes call it Faugust.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Wow. That is disappointing that a radar reflector didn’t help - I was thinking of adding one.

I have a smaller/older/cheaper radar and usually only see larger boats and sailboat masts. Channel markers are always very bright - round shape I suppose. Last month I was playing with the settings and found that when you keep old tracks up on the screen for 10 seconds I could actually track small targets - including jet skis at 200+ yards. It is the small fast boats that worry me.

I have AIS built into my VHF, and it has been very useful in the shipping channel. Kept me out of the professionals way at least twice this year! Most small boats and commercial fishers do not use it though.

Last year I passed a lighthouse near Annapolis in the fog. No light, no horn. Was hoping to say that I had ‘used’ a lighthouse, but not yet...
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

For navigational purposes I find my radar works best when set to a range of 3.5 miles. I get good shore definition and can set course based on bearings taken from the screen. I also have a separate chart display which greatly eases the navigational side of things. Both units have screen displays of about 6 to 7 inches. For monitoring the presence of other boats I find my radar works well when the range is set to 1.5 miles.

Mostly I run with the radar set to 1.5mi range and rely on the GPS/Chart Display for navigation. Adjusting the radar for a comet trail helps in detecting smaller targets but it still requires a bit of screen concentration.

Newer units are probably better but I think the range limitations result from the unit being mounted on a boat with low height.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Oh, agree on all points dkirsop. Very easy to navigate on radar, but so much easier to use a second screen or tablet. For me, tracking other boats requires tremendous concentration, but can be useful.

I am really working with the radar more for dark than fog. With a slow boat, a 4 or 5 AM start can also be smart. Thinking of a full night run next year - just for the experience.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”