• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

4D61 part needed to buy or borrow.

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

4D61 part needed to buy or borrow.

Post by DCatSea »

Does anyone have a spare exhaust elbow and manifold fixture for a 4D61 engine (for me to purchase or borrow)? This is the heavy metal bit that is threaded to the exhaust manifold, and the square block to which it is threaded. (I'll post clarifying pix tomorrow).

If a loaner is available it would give me time to find a replacement or have one fabricated. I'll gladly pay for shipping (to and from)

CONTEXT: We were returning from a very pleasant day run on Friday and had just reached the turn point into Herring Bay, when the engine note changed from kinda-Lehman-noisy to "WT* is that noise"; rapidly becoming (from the Admiral) "Why is there black smoke coming out of the engine room?" Seconds later, after shutting down the engine, a quick glance through the slightly open hatch revealed smoke not fire, and the distinct reek of escaped exhaust fumes. No fire emergency so a quick 16 to Towboat US ("Capt. Todd will be there in 45 minutes"), gave us time to drop the hook, evacuate the smoke, eat lunch in a slight swell, and wait patiently for a very professional and easy tow for the last couple of miles home.
ON INVESTIGATION: The threaded 2" pipe between the manifold and the exhaust elbow had sheared from corrosion. Both ends are now in my workshop, but the threads are 36-years-solid and may not be salvageable. I can probably get them rebuilt/fabricated professionally, but this will be time consuming, and probably end the season. Replacement would be ideal, and allow me to move the boat to her winter quarters for winterizing.

Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: 4D61 part needed to buy or borrow.

Post by tribologist »

Do you know anyone witha decent CNC mill? It should be quite easy to flank mill most of it and then thread mill out the old nipple. It will take a little messing to clock the thread bur should be doable
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I built a new SS elbow for my 4D61, so I’ve got my old one sitting on my bench. PM me your address and I’ll throw it in a box and send it to you. :D
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Doug I’ll call you today
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Roger that - speak soon.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I bought a new exhaust elbow from American DIesel, but years ago.

Haven't been in the market for 4D61 parts in a while though.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Mottthediesel/Tom,

I've been trying to IM you the pix of your greatly appreciated elbow now that it has been installed, but my IM-ing skills don't run to insertion, so here are the pix for all to see.
As you can see it fits perfectly of course, and I was able to re-use my shiny brass t-connector and a new nipple (the old one came out quite easily). A coat or two of hi-temp engine paint makes all shiny.
Thanks to you we have been able to go out for a couple of short fishing runs. Maybe a longer run next week.

Here are the pix:
IMG_7763.JPG
IMG_7764.JPG
I look forward to two things: 1) Paying it forward as suggested, and 2) giving you lunch in Alexandria at an appropriate time.

Again, thanks

Doug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Hey, that looks great! What’s that second, smaller hose coming out of the tee for?
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

It goes aft to the stern gland/stuffing box; but is a bit of a mystery because I can't get in there to see what it does. It also has a shiny new nipple. I'd guess it provides cooling water to the aft running gear, but I could be wrong.

I am also wide open to suggestions from Albineers.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by motthediesel »

Are you equipped with a “dripless” shaft seal?
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

I have an old style stuffing block, strangely enough is being repacked tonight. I’m too flexible and about 25lbs too big to get at it, so I have the pros doing it.
It’s been a bit wet for a few weeks so I thought I’d get it done
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

DCatSea wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:46 pm It goes aft to the stern gland/stuffing box; but is a bit of a mystery because I can't get in there to see what it does. It also has a shiny new nipple. I'd guess it provides cooling water to the aft running gear, but I could be wrong.

I am also wide open to suggestions from Albineers.
Mine also is similar except it comes from the manifold so it is under pressure and goes to my PSS dripless system. The PSS installation manual states to use it to cool the shaft/seal when at high speed above 12 knots, it has a valve on it so I use it to burp the system after launching my boat which lives on a trailer over the winter.
Pretty sure it’s not necessary on these boats but I haven’t removed it yet.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”