• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

25 runs but won’t walk

Albin's "power cruisers"
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

25 runs but won’t walk

Post by Burton »

Our harbormaster and a friend who is experienced with single screw boats have both tried to get our A25 Deluxe to prop walk to snug up to the dock. It just won’t do it. Does anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions as to what to do? The prop is a right hand 16/14 which does well with the 40 horse Yanmar with 2.36 reduction drive. The Harbormaster was running the boat and said, “...d—-ndest thing I’ve ever seen.” The prop is slightly over pitched. I am new to this mode of power, so can rightly plead ignorance.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: 25 runs but won’t walk

Post by nebulatech »

Just throwing it out there, is the rudder out of alignment?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Our rudders seem to be much larger than most power boats. Even at very slow reverse speeds I can overcome prop walk with rudder position. Perhaps try your approach from the other direction to test this out? I have an A27, but suspect it is similar.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I've found our prop walk is fairly minimal at pulling the stern to port with right hand prop. It'll back more or less straight but with a right hand prop is very difficult to swing the stern to starboard when backing without some sternway on to have rudder steerage or if slow then giving short, sharp rudder kicks in forward to line up. For snugging up to the dock using a spring line might be your best bet. Not this Bar Harbor harbor master was it?
20170905_144035.jpg
Spring on...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fEDCT4kDM

Spring off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJnyPCFjKk

If you don't have midships cleats you should add some.

Ambler, if from Patuxent River this should look familiar.....

0628151143a.jpg
0628151202.jpg
DSCN2904 (1280x960).jpg
DSCN3041.JPG
DSCN2893.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

I too am finding that “prop walk” on our A27 is very minimal. Of course most of my SS inboard time has been in vintage runabouts and ski boats, so they don’t have the big keel to shove sideways that the Albin has.
I’m getting more used to it though, and it seems that pushing the stern into the dock in “forward” is a better play.
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

That is a good point - when you are just about backed in you could use a short burst of fwd to both stop your motion and kick the stern to the dock.

DesertAlbin - I know where every one of those pictures was taken! Let me know if you are ever back on the Chesapeake.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Yes very minimal prop walk for mine, lots of ways to snug it up but I go bow in and port side tie up all the time and I approach the dock at a slight angle slow then when I am nearly there reverse to come to a stop and give it a small shot of power with the rudder full starboard and she snugs in real nice.

Sometimes there are folks on the dock to try and help but I tell my wife to not give them a line until we are done otherwise they seem to always screw it up by pulling the bow into the dock at the wrong time and bump into it!

Keeping it standard all the time ie. bow in port tie up is the best, then a system will be developed that works for you.
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

nebulatech wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:31 pm Just throwing it out there, is the rudder out of alignment?
I don’t think so. With the hull clean, the boat does almost 11 knots, With nothing strange in the steering— Not sure how to check it.
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:26 am I've found our prop walk is fairly minimal at pulling the stern to port with right hand prop. It'll back more or less straight but with a right hand prop is very difficult to swing the stern to starboard when backing without some sternway on to have rudder steerage or if slow then giving short, sharp rudder kicks in forward to line up. For snugging up to the dock using a spring line might be your best bet. Not this Bar Harbor harbor master was it?
20170905_144035.jpg

Spring on...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fEDCT4kDM

Spring off...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MJnyPCFjKk

If you don't have midships cleats you should add some.

Ambler, if from Patuxent River this should look familiar.....

Thanks! Not Bar Harbor, but Ellsworth.
0628151143a.jpg

0628151202.jpg
DSCN2904 (1280x960).jpg
DSCN3041.JPG
DSCN2893.JPG
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Burton »

ssrig wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:40 pm Yes very minimal prop walk for mine, lots of ways to snug it up but I go bow in and port side tie up all the time and I approach the dock at a slight angle slow then when I am nearly there reverse to come to a stop and give it a small shot of power with the rudder full starboard and she snugs in real nice.

Sometimes there are folks on the dock to try and help but I tell my wife to not give them a line until we are done otherwise they seem to always screw it up by pulling the bow into the dock at the wrong time and bump into it!

Keeping it standard all the time ie. bow in port tie up is the best, then a system will be developed that works for you.

Ha! This is exactly what we have found to work. Port side to dock, approaching slowly, shifting from forward to Neutral, then crank the wheel to starboard, a little burst of throttle and the stern comes right over. I was thinking I must be doing something wrong when I couldn’t get it to walk the way I was advised to do. Thanks!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Northern hemisphere, RH prop. There’s the problem.

My LH prop works every time, especially above latitude 49.

https://youtu.be/owq7hgzna3E
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

DesertAlbin - I know where every one of those pictures was taken! Let me know if you are ever back on the Chesapeake.
We'll have to see what next year brings. We'd like to do East Coast like we had planned for this summer & end with a fall cruise on the Chesapeake. Last time we were there was in July five years ago & was just so hot, muggy, & stormy. Just have to decide where to launch from. Last time we launched La Dolce Vita on the Nanticoke River at Blades, DE because that's near where my late parents lived after they retired & moved down from upstate NY. But that's a 35 mile run down river to get to the bay. Maybe next time if there is one start from the upper bay near Annapolis. Or we could launch from the ramp under the north end of the Rt 4 bridge in Solomons. We'll see.

My first jaunt on the Chesapeake was back in 2002 when I had a Montgomery 15 sailboat & cruised with some guys in that owners' group, and the Rt 4 ramp was where they launched from. I launched from Tyler Cove boat ramp on Fishing Creek by Honga River on the Eastern Shore. Crossed over to Solomons single handed in this little boat*.

*yes, I've always been a little nuts.
2002 Monty cruise.jpg
scampdocked.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Is your prop a 3 or 4 blade?

4 blade would help if it is not already.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Off topic, but DA, your boat Scamp had really nice lines! What is the white/orange thing in the cockpit?
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Off topic, but DA, your boat Scamp had really nice lines! What is the white/orange thing in the cockpit?
There were a couple throw cushions & an insulated water jug sitting next to the tiller.

As long as we're off topic, here's the same boat with me in it in a classified ad that the original builder Jerry Montgomery ran for a couple years in Small Craft Advisor magazine. This was off Monterey, CA in 2003. In '03 I sailed the same boat from Marina Del Rey in L.A. out to Catalina Island. I have no idea who took the photo.
IMG_0805.JPG
And motoring up St. Leonard's Creek, MD in 2002.
IMG_0916.JPG
I sold it in 2005 & upsized to a Catalina 22 which I kept until getting a Catalina 25 in 2008, but a subsequent owner had it stored at Lake Pleasant, AZ a couple years ago.
20180211_105929.jpg
Before I sold it I replaced the companionway hatch boards with 9MM teak veneer Okeume marine grade plywood. I used some leftover pieces to build my hardtop hatches on La Dolce Vita. This boat was 1980 hull #102, the 2nd M15 ever built. The cabin consisted of a V berth with a porta potty under the center cushion & a small footwell to sit in the cabin. The only way to sit up straight in the cabin was to open the sliding hatch & stick your head out with the cabin top at about shoulder level. One of the best times I had with the boat was when I trailered it east to Delaware in 2002. My parents wre still alive & my stepdad flew out & we drove back together & slept in the boat in RV campgrounds over the four days & three nights the it took to get there. When skirting DC we made a wrong turn & ended up on the Beltway during 5PM rush hour. That was fun. I had a '91 GMC Safari mini van at that time. My mom passed the following January & was the last time I was able to spend quality time with her as she was quite ill. The whole boat + trailer rig weighed all of 1,500 lbs. It had a shoal keel plus pie slice shaped quadrant non ballast lifting centerboard.
20180211_105237.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”