• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trailer fitting -- epilogue

Albin's "power cruisers"
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Trailer fitting -- epilogue

Post by motthediesel »

Just to update on this, today we were able to successfully pull out our A27 for the season. This is as opposed to yesterday, when we were completely stymied. The problem then was not the trailer, but the ramp. The St Lawrence is low now, and the ramp we tried had a nasty drop-off at the end of the concrete. We could load the boat just fine if we backed the wheels off the end of the ramp, but we could not get the trailer (especially with those tiny 10" wheels) to climb back up onto the ramp loaded. Conversely, if we kept the wheels on the concrete, we could not pull the boat up onto the ramp -- checkmate!

So we had to travel a little farther afield. There's a municipal ramp about 4 miles away that I had never tried before. We drove over and checked it out -- still concrete to a 5' depth -- way better than the 3' we had at the first place. The only problem was that today it was blowing like stink, and 90 degrees to the ramp -- challenging! It worked out OK though, I came in at a deliberate speed, with the boat sort of crabbing into the wind. Just as the bow reached the rear bunks I turned it parallel to the trailer and it slipped right in. A few turns on the two speed winch and it was home. No drop-offs to contend with here, and with the big Dodge in 4WDL, my son pulled us right out without a problem.

As you see there, we had strapped swimming noodles to the aft end of the bunks so I could see where they were. All that was needed was to get the bow between those, the trailer bunks and those curving keel guides did all the rest. The boat loaded as straight as a string, as you can see here.

It's a big monster to tow -- that's for sure. Here's a picture my son took of the boat as seen in the rear-view mirror as we headed home.

So, overall I'd say I'm very happy with the way the boat fits on the trailer, and those crazy keel guides are an unqualified success. I'm less happy with the running gear however, and I think that over the winter it is going to get wider axles, bigger wheels, and electric/hydraulic brakes. Then we'll have a real road trailer, ready for some real DA'ing perhaps? :D
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Trailer fitting -- epilogue

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I dare say you should be very proud of your design work & execution. Bravo!
Then we'll have a real road trailer, ready for some real DA'ing perhaps?
The world will by your oyster! Who knows, next year we could have a little flotilla? If we get to come out next year & decide to launch from either Clayton or Alexandria Bay I will definitely seek your advice on local ramps. A fall Rideau Canal (assuming our Canadian friends will let us in) & Lake Champlain cruise followed by a Chesapeake cruise would be nice. This week the 10 day forecast for Solomons, MD is +/- 60s to 70 for highs, low-mid 50s for lows. I wouldn't want to push it beyond the end of October.

2021 Bucket List:
Rideau Canal
Lake Champlain
Lake George(maybe)
Long Island Sound
Block Island
Chesapeake Bay

Since we saved a lot of money by staying home this summer (except for the added cost of cranking the A/C) the cruising kitty should be pretty fat next year assuming COVID has receded by then. Perhaps we could do Pacific NW AND St Lawrence/Rideau/Lake Champlain/Chesapeake Bay in the same year starting in June & ending in October. I just turned 69 this year and the Admiral is several years older than me, so we don't have too many more years left to do keep doing this sort of thing.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

That's an awesome story!

I appreciate the detail, and I can imagine thinking "now how do I get my boat out." I could clearly picture your approach to the dock, and I'm, sure I'm not alone in stating I'm very excited to hear your keel guides were a success. Great father/son teamwork too I imagine. And the boat just looks fantastic. The view from the rear view, that's something to be proud of, having such a stately yacht behind you.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Very nice work. Your mad skills really paid off. That is a lot of boat to tow. Adding a couple more axles wouldn't hurt a bit.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

When I got a quote for $7,500 for a custom trailer for my A27FC, I cringed. Seems you made out well below that.

You also experienced my nemesis: ramp drop-offs. Every ramp near me has one. I have to time the tides and hope that the boat will float enough to get on the trailer. It's been close, but successful, so far... knock wood.

I admire your engineering and enginuity. Pool noodles? Who'd have thunk?!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Dropped my trailer over the edge last weekend but only on one side so i got it up... here is a good one from Allbinägare. On facebook. One of them ”can do any boat” ”good for no boat trailer”. It a rigid axle boat wagon” actually. The swedes can pull pretty much anything legally as long as they stay under 18 mph. They have ”båtvagnar” as yard trailers and ”båttrailer” to pull on road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

Wow! What’s Swedish for “Get-er-done”? :lol:
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I’ve been lurking on your trailer page and wow! did that ever pay off. Your trailer is a work of art, and being a personal fan of pool noodles (and full sized Poodles when used properly) I’m impressed by your novel use.
Congratulations on a great project that has come to full fruition.
Please tell me you won’t be towing at 18mph without flying a Swedish courtesy flag on the stbd side of your mast.
BTW - I owe you pix of the elbow, which worked out really great. Thanks.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”