• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Am finally starting the Hard Top Project

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: Am finally starting the Hard Top Project

Post by NickScheuer »

Not strong enough to walk on, nebulatech; I/4' fir plywood sheathed in 6 oz fiberglass and epoxy on exterior. Underside will be coated with WEST epoxy and painted white.
Arches will remain bright. If after fabrication off the boat, but prior to sheathing, I feel it is not rigid enough, I will add 1/2" Airex foam before sheathing. I'm thinking I will not need the foam.

I will be visiting the canvas shop next week with a couple of side curtains for a discussion about the modifications. Don't want to be working myself up a blind alley on my side curtain ideas.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

The hardtop on Better Days was on when we purchased the boat, don't know the thickness but it was strong enough to walk on without flexing. I was happy that it was that strong, it provided a great foundation for the solar panels I installed and I was able to go "topside" to clean them off when they became dirty -- made a big improvement in their charging capability! We had side curtains all around the cockpit, with big zippered openings amidships. After our first season I installed additional "supports" on the forward corners of the aft cabin. These provided great handholds when leaving the cockpit before I could stand up fully and use the handrails that were installed along the edge of the hardtop
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Yes, Jay, handholds are a real asset for entry & egress. The pic I posted over on my "A-25 Bow (arch) Reinforcement shows a handhold tucked just inside the side of the arch. We have them on both sides. My cartoon in the OP of this thread does not show hand rails on the new hard top, but we would indeed have them P & S on both the hard top and the hinged hatches.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”