• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Am finally starting the Hard Top Project

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Am finally starting the Hard Top Project

Post by NickScheuer »

Of course procrastination and other elements of life will conspire to delay completion, nonetheless, a start has been made. The principal length of Red Oak for the arch at the forward end has been purchased. Key dimensions where the Hard Top will interface with the original hull have been tabulated.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Am finally sarting the Hard Top Project

Post by NickScheuer »

Hart Top, corner posts.JPG
Couldn't see "full Editor" for thre original pst, only for a reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Consider a 4" to 6" step up at the arch. It will provide more head room and easier side access when moored at a dock. If it matches the slope of the windshield it will look like it always belonged there.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Regarding side access, I believe I've seen sliding panels on a hard top before in pictures, but I can't remember if they were on an A25 or A27. Good luck on the project!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Am finally starting the Hard Top Project

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Here's some examples.
This one seen in NY on Erie Canal. Note the lifting hatch panels to facilitate side entry. This one leaves the doghouse T top as original & only adds the hard top aft of the wheelhouse extending to the front edge of the aft cabin.
DSCN2419 (1280x960).jpg
Here's another one seen in Friday Harbor, WA. This one had a full hard top from windshield to front edge of aft cabin.
20160627_142511.jpg
This one is Alanje seen at Ladysmith BC, with sliding side panels.
20180721_102423.jpg
I didn't get pics of the back end of Alanje, but WillieC took this picture.
IMG_1998.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I was in and out of Alanje quite a few times and I found it very awkward getting in and out, having a stepped roof or a hatch seems a good idea.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

The DuNORD will have hinged hatches in the hardtop port & st'bd for entry & egress, which is one of the principal reasons for the project as the canvas roof has no similar openings on the top. I like the hardtop extending aft in a straight line as an element of style. There is enough headroom for us. Our side curtains will be canvas, clear vinyl, and insect net, as they will be the originals modified by an awning shop i've worked with often for my boat canvas. We will retain the canvas over the helm.
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

NickScheuer wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:38 am The DuNORD will have hinged hatches in the hardtop port & st'bd for entry & egress, which is one of the principal reasons for the project as the canvas roof has no similar openings on the top. I like the hardtop extending aft in a straight line as an element of style. There is enough headroom for us. Our side curtains will be canvas, clear vinyl, and insect net, as they will be the originals modified by an awning shop i've worked with often for my boat canvas. We will retain the canvas over the helm.
That sounds like a good plan. The roof entrance hatches especially -- like most in this crowd, the BOSS and I aren't getting any younger, and constantly bending over to get under our cockpit canvas starts to get tiresome! :wink:
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ours is strictly rear entry over the aft cabin top. The stock single arch frame bow for the canvas enclosure precludes easy side entry even with side flaps rolled up. I use a folding metal 2 step stool similar to this one (except painted dark grey) placed in front of the aft cabin door. I stand on aft cabin top, face forward, grab the top of the enclosure frame, step on the top bar which is sturdy, swing in & step down into the cockpit. If I slip I have hold of the canvas frame to keep steadied. The stool folds up & stows out of the way when not needed. Exiting is easy, step up & onto the cabin top or sit on cabin top & swing legs out. When anchored out we're usually taking the dinghy ashore so have to be at back end of the boat anyway.
stepstool.jpeg

DSCN2102.JPG
With the back flap open
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Once again, DA's archive pays dividends. Lots of nice examples. I had seen entry hatches, and I suppose I assumed they were made to slide, not hinged. I found the example I was thinking of and can't tell how they open:
https://boats-from-usa.com/not-specified/albin-25-58608

Nick, I have a book on yacht joinery that shows how to make sliding hatch covers. I think the relevant section is only about 3 pages. I can scan them in and post them if you're interested. In my imagining things, I think sliding hatches might be safer, but they can't be too wide athwartships. I don't think they need to be, just as wide as the cockpit seat would do.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Actually hatches in the cockpit roof need be only 12" to 14" (measuring athwartship) to be effective. I'll go with a pair of hinged hatches. I've spent a couple of years of doodling time simplifying various details yet keeping them light in weight.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I think if I was doing a hard top with hatches I would only do one side.

We always dock on the port side and really only had to tie up on the starboard side once in two years, we have a bunch of stuff on the starboard side like downrigger and prawn trap puller etc. So keeping only one side clear makes it easier and having a constant side to dock on keeps things simple, no moving lines around and bumpers, we have a canvas top that I unfasten half way along the arch then fold it over itself and bungie strap it so it stays out of the way and makes entry and exit easy.
E268BDA9-6FAB-4995-BEAA-E3F53A4569F1.jpeg
Just seems like with a hatch each side of the top would need a bit more strength in the middle, making it more complex??
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

ssrig,

The solar panels on SloMocean make side entry a necessity. On La Dolce Vita the Admiral likes to relax on the aft cabin top with a lounge cushion, beach umbrella for shade, a cold beer, bag of tortilla chips & a good book. This pic I believe was Reid Harbor, Stuart Island in the San Juans.
20190629_154532.jpg
Note on the Tohatsu dinghy motor, last time we ran it on the dinghy it developed a bad case of BPH & barely a dribble from the 'pee tube' indicator & started overheating. Pulled the powerhead & the cylinder head & found the entire water jacket was plugged solid with salt & scale. Scraped it all out clean & replaced gaskets & water pump impeller & now it's fine. It's roughly a 1992 vintage 2 stroke & probably never taken apart for overhaul before, or at least not in the six years I've owned it. This particular model is direct drive, no gear shift, & the water pump is actually right in front of the prop & pumps the water up through a brass tube to the motor.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

The aft-most feature appearing on the DuNORD's hard top are a pair of handrails for climbing up to the aft deck from the swim platform. They will be made from one of the bows for our existing canvas cockpit cover. Increasing the slope of the hard top's aft panel will help streamline the boat on the highway. The back panel on our existing canvas cockpit cover is fairly vertical.
We have no preference for which side of the boat lies toward the pier; it all depends on other harbor circumstances, so we need a hatch on both sides.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

NickScheuer wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:58 am The aft-most feature appearing on the DuNORD's hard top are a pair of handrails for climbing up to the aft deck from the swim platform. They will be made from one of the bows for our existing canvas cockpit cover. Increasing the slope of the hard top's aft panel will help streamline the boat on the highway.
Now I understand that part of the drawing. I think the handles are a great idea! Negotiating one's way aft is a little cumbersome with the narrow deck, and I can imagine in a seaway or docking situation, those handles may prove to be life savers.

It's obvious you've really thought this one through Nick, even considering drag while towing. What material do you plan for the top? Will it be strong enough to walk on?
Last edited by nebulatech on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”