• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Manatee in deep doodoo

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

A25 Manatee in deep doodoo

Post by Sunsetrider »

Our prop caught a rope and stripped the reverse gear asbestos lining, and it turns out nobody does "bonding" any more - like for brake linings. So unless I can locate a spare transmission (or good gear parts per below) I guess I would have to try to sell it at a price attractive to someone who would want to repower the original MD17c. Too bad, I have decked it out with solar, fridge, windlass, autohelm, new canvas, new head, etc. :(

So I guess this is a shout out for either of those potentialities - a spare part or an eager buyer. And I had a buyer all set to go as soon as I fixed the reverse gear. :cry:

At least I have my replacement boat sitting in my yard, waiting for spring!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Re: A25 Manatee in deep doodoo

Post by motthediesel »

There’s a guy near me in Clayton NY that has a lot of old Volvo parts, want me to see if I can get a phone number for you?
Looks like you’ve got yourself a Carver — still sticking with the aft cabin layout? :wink:
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Sunsetrider, I never heard back from you regarding the transmission I have from my MD17C. If I recall, you were going to have your mechanic look at the pictures...
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Posted in two Swedish forums, the <Albinägare> and <us who wrench old Volvo marine engines...> Someone there might have some ideas. There are drawings floating around but I think the old geometry should be easy to match up
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Call Joe DeMers at Sound Marine Diesel in Plainville CT. I've purchased two rebuilt transmissions for our V-P MD17C from him and have installed both of them myself. It's neither space science nor brain surgery, and I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to "motor wrenching". Maybe I should buy your boat, whap in a rebuilt tranny, and resell it at a profit.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

nebulatech wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 pm Sunsetrider, I never heard back from you regarding the transmission
Sorry nebulatech - he did look and said it was no a match. I have been too wrapped up in exploring so many possible avenues of solutions to be sufficiently polite!
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

motthediesel wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:58 pm There’s a guy near me in Clayton NY that has a lot of old Volvo parts, want me to see if I can get a phone number for you?
Looks like you’ve got yourself a Carver — still sticking with the aft cabin layout? :wink:
Thank you mot - very much appreciate getting that lead. And yes, the setup is close to the A27 but more in line with my limited budget - esp. considering the current condition of the A25!

And thank you, others who have responded. I am going to follow up with the brake suggestions.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

tribologist wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:01 pm Posted in two Swedish forums,
I saw the Albin Agare post this morning - thank you (Ulf?)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Sunsetrider wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:51 am
nebulatech wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 pm Sunsetrider, I never heard back from you regarding the transmission
Sorry nebulatech - he did look and said it was no a match. I have been too wrapped up in exploring so many possible avenues of solutions to be sufficiently polite!
Understood, and no worries. You have to take care of your problem, not worry about my "feelings." I just didn't know if my message was worded in an understandable way. It sounds like you have some other options to explore, but I DO have a transmission, ostensibly working, from an MD17C. It may not be YOUR transmission, but it does work on an A25.

I would recommend calling these guys:
https://www.marinepartsexpress.com/index.html

They are in Maine, so not too far away (compared to SC). When I took out my engine, I called a bunch of wholesalers to see if they would buy my engine. The gentleman I spoke with at Marine Parts Express was the friendliest person I spoke to. He was interested in my engine and transmission, and said he dealt in Volvo MD series engines. He probably has what you need, or a way to get it.

I also second calling Sound Marine Diesel if Marine Parts Express can't help. Joe is a pretty nice gentleman as well, very helpful and willing to take time to talk with you, even if he's not going to sell you something.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now with all these leads.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Getting hopeful results from these leads. Knock on wood. :)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nebulatech »

Fingers crossed for you!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Stephen, I've been very busy with some non-boating stuff lately & haven't been keeping up with AOG (I'll email you on that). So sorry to hear about your gearbox problems. There must be an MD17C parts motor with the correct good tranny out there somewhere? So you did get the Carver after all? Good on you! Love that rainbow shot! Is the ground frim enough for those hull supports? I guess it'll freeze solid soon enough. So those are your new digs? Still hoping we'll be able to see you & Andrea next year. But who knows where we'll be with COVID by then. Fingers crossed.

Steve E.

ps, our boat is laid up until at least early next month waiting on a replacement Blue Sea Systems 12V main battery switch. Turns out COVID has affected that too. Supplies of the special type of plastic used to manufacture the switch housing is in short supply do to the pandemic. They're limited on what type they can use and still maintain their UL listing.

Take care my man!
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I also second calling Sound Marine Diesel if Marine Parts Express can't help. Joe is a pretty nice gentleman as well, very helpful and willing to take time to talk with you, even if he's not going to sell you something.
We stopped by his place in Plainville, Connecticut when we had our boat out east in 2015. Didn't get to meet & talk to Joe in person because he was out that day, but this is what his shop looked like then when he had two A25's parked on his lot.
DSCN2506.JPG
DSCN2508.JPG
DSCN2505.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”