• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

25 VS. 27 FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Searsport, Maine & Jacksonville Beach, Florida

25 VS. 27 FC

Post by Scudrunner »

I've asked this question before on Facebook. I am going to purchase either the A25 or the 27. Just about the time I decide on the 25, I see or read something on the 27 that I like. The two biggest pros for the 25 is being trailerable and fuel economy. But, my wife will like the room on the 27 but what woman wouldn't. So... tell me your views on both. Recently, I've seen more about the 27's and more for sale than the 25's. Burt gave me a ride on his a few weeks ago and it was as I expected with a pronounced snap roll but not terrible. How safe is the A25 when caught outside with fair swells? I'm use to sailboats where 3' are pretty easy... 6' can be a challenge with a 27 Catalina, for instance. I recently watched a youtube video when a fellow didn't go outside in some light chop with his 27. Is one more seaworthy than the other? I've read of some who crossed the Stream to the Bahamas in an A25... in calm conditions.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Re: 25 VS. 27 FC

Post by Dieselram94 »

I chose a 25 based on trailerability and mostly no wood used in anything structural. That last reason being my biggest one. Much easier to find a 25 over a 27.
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

By chance did you buy your boat from a fellow in Rockport/Camden, ME?
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The A25 is a versatile little boat. It will not overturn but it is tender when beam on to a wave or a large wake. Space might be a problem when it comes to the head. The A25 head is tiny and I refer to it as my yoga studio. If you want a shower then the 27 is the way to go. I really like my A25 for the following reasons: easy to trailer, easy to maintain, good fuel economy, comfortable to sleep in (we prefer the aft cabin), dry, and less real-estate below the water line when it comes to cleaning and anti-fouling. I plan our cruises for an average speed of 6 knots.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Scudrunner wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:13 pm By chance did you buy your boat from a fellow in Rockport/Camden, ME?
I did not, I bought it from a guy from Peaks island down by Portland. I’m not aware of another 25 in the area other than one in Ellsworth and one in Wiscasset. Have I missed one in Camden or Rockport? I live close to both of those towns, and I have a Mooring in Rockland Harbor.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

You mentioned the Bahamas. One thing I really don't like about the A25 is the cockpit drains to the bilge. Not self bailing. Crossing to the Bahamas can get nasty unexpectedly, even with modern weather forecasting, so until I fix the cockpit issue, that's a no go for me.

The A25 was I believe the last Albin power boat to be built in Sweden. There is a YouTube video of an A25 doing a 23 hour crossing of the Baltic sea, search "Albin 25 some sea from starboard." Its encouraging.

I originally discovered the A27, and only later found the A25. I think they are both awesome boats. I settled on my A25 because it fits in my back yard, 1/3 acre lot in a cul de sac. (The price was also right) Its the smallest boat I would want, and the largest I can tow and store at my house. Both A25 and A27 can be trailered with the right vehicle, but for the A27, that's going to be something more substantial than my Sequoia.

What are your intended plans for using the boat? Where will you keep it? If frequent long distance trailering is the plan, the A25 might be better. The boats are similar enough that finding either boat in the right condition for the right price may end up being a deciding factor. Finally, if you like to go fast and don't care about the aft cabin, there's the Albin 28, a modern variant of the A27 with a planing hull and a comparatively thirsty engine.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
honza
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Solon, ME

Post by honza »

Another Maine A25 here.

As for the Bahamas: I have done it with a 31 ft. trimaran, would not do it with A25. But it can be done reasonably safe, if one has a plenty of time. It is not only the crossing - travel among the islands can get rough too and anchoring can be difficult.

As for the A28: less accommodation, 3 times faster, 5 times more expensive, 10 times the engine size, 10 ft. beam - would not want to handle the fuel expenses for long range cruising and the permits for trailering from Maine to Florida and back.
Slow Poke A25 #1110
motthediesel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Thousand Islands NY

Post by motthediesel »

When we were looking for boats last year, I really was leaning towards an A25. I like their size for trailering, and I love the funky Scandinavian style -- but when my wife looked at one, she said "too small!" -- and that was that. :wink: Fortunately, we have a really big truck, so with a good trailer we hope that we can still do some DA style road warrior adventuring, even with the bigger boat.

Tom
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

Dieselram94 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:11 pm
Scudrunner wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:13 pm By chance did you buy your boat from a fellow in Rockport/Camden, ME?
I did not, I bought it from a guy from Peaks island down by Portland. I’m not aware of another 25 in the area other than one in Ellsworth and one in Wiscasset. Have I missed one in Camden or Rockport? I live close to both of those towns, and I have a Mooring in Rockland Harbor.
It was a while ago when I lived in Maine and the owner was in the USCGA with me. I know he sold it but thought it might have been to you. Burt is the guy in Ellsworth and I took a ride with him on his boat a couple weeks ago. Have you braved the waters around Vinalhaven with your boat? I lived on Vinalhaven for a while and sailed all over the islands and owned the island in Old Harbor Cove.
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

nebulatech wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 pm You mentioned the Bahamas. One thing I really don't like about the A25 is the cockpit drains to the bilge. Not self bailing. Crossing to the Bahamas can get nasty unexpectedly, even with modern weather forecasting, so until I fix the cockpit issue, that's a no go for me.

The A25 was I believe the last Albin power boat to be built in Sweden. There is a YouTube video of an A25 doing a 23 hour crossing of the Baltic sea, search "Albin 25 some sea from starboard." Its encouraging.

I originally discovered the A27, and only later found the A25. I think they are both awesome boats. I settled on my A25 because it fits in my back yard, 1/3 acre lot in a cul de sac. (The price was also right) Its the smallest boat I would want, and the largest I can tow and store at my house. Both A25 and A27 can be trailered with the right vehicle, but for the A27, that's going to be something more substantial than my Sequoia.

What are your intended plans for using the boat? Where will you keep it? If frequent long distance trailering is the plan, the A25 might be better. The boats are similar enough that finding either boat in the right condition for the right price may end up being a deciding factor. Finally, if you like to go fast and don't care about the aft cabin, there's the Albin 28, a modern variant of the A27 with a planing hull and a comparatively thirsty engine.
Thanks. I watched the video of the Baltic adventure. Those water are more challenging and dangerous than the Bimini passage from Ft Lauderdale... and colder (even in Summer).

I have a 3/4 diesel truck and could pull either easily. My plan is to retire to Maine in a few years and winter in Florida. My wife and I will do the ICW at least once and the Hudson river to the Erie Canal... if not the whole loop. I like the fact I can store and work on it at my place instead of a boatyard. The size of the 25 isn't a problem and has some advantages... fuel economy and maintenance. These are the two things I really like about the 25'. I like the 27' for room, range and pressurized fresh water... and hot water. The hot water isn't a deal breaker with portable LP instant hot water heaters for showering.
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

honza wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:14 am Another Maine A25 here.

As for the Bahamas: I have done it with a 31 ft. trimaran, would not do it with A25. But it can be done reasonably safe, if one has a plenty of time. It is not only the crossing - travel among the islands can get rough too and anchoring can be difficult.

As for the A28: less accommodation, 3 times faster, 5 times more expensive, 10 times the engine size, 10 ft. beam - would not want to handle the fuel expenses for long range cruising and the permits for trailering from Maine to Florida and back.
I wouldn't consider the A28 at all. I'm familiar with the Bahamas and the Keys. The Stream can be dangerous but one has to wait for the right conditions even for a much larger boat. Now have watched several videos of rough weather and a Baltic crossing with an A25, I feel better about the snap roll.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

After a lifetime of foreign service, and rented hulls, we bought our A27 in 2015 as a fairly stable and economically viable retirement toy, with a view to doing some extended cruising on the inland waterways. With the exception of the extended cruising (Life - dammit), she has fulfilled our needs admirably. We've spent many happy hours confusing the fish in the Chesapeake Bay, watching for Bay Dolphins, avoiding containers ships, occasionally hitting a restaurant in another not-too-distant port, and generally chilling on the water.
I've learned a lot (but nowhere near all) about providing TLC to 6500lbs of GRP and Lehman diesel, and have increased my toolbox exponentially to fit the work. The ca. 1.5galls / hour has been reliably envied by friends with SeaRays and other go-fasts. We don't trail anything bigger than our 9' Zodiac and a couple of SOT kayaks. Mazboot has kept us sane for 5 years, backing up a few really quite long road trips. The ability to self-isolate onboard has been a useful and welcome bonus during the current national health crisis.
Seakeeping has been consistently good; she takes it well on the bow and stern, but doesn't like beam seas (I could say, who does), and is generally handy in the sometimes-exciting-at-short-notice Chesapeake. OK, she only gets 8.5kts at best, but will cruise forever at 6.5 unless she decides not to; so far I've been able to fix everything that has come up, and I think everything is now ship-shape mechanically (touching wood with 2 hands as I write). A27s are not complicated.
One of the nicest things about owning an A27 is that other boaters seem to really like her looks, especially the woodwork, and make appropriately complimentary comments. I keep on meaning to park her in Ego Alley for a weekend to see what happens while enjoying some good ice-cream, but as usual, life intervenes. They'll have to wait another year.

Good luck with your decision making.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Scudrunner
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Scudrunner »

DCatSea wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:56 pm After a lifetime of foreign service, and rented hulls, we bought our A27 in 2015 as a fairly stable and economically viable retirement toy, with a view to doing some extended cruising on the inland waterways. With the exception of the extended cruising (Life - dammit), she has fulfilled our needs admirably. We've spent many happy hours confusing the fish in the Chesapeake Bay, watching for Bay Dolphins, avoiding containers ships, occasionally hitting a restaurant in another not-too-distant port, and generally chilling on the water.
I've learned a lot (but nowhere near all) about providing TLC to 6500lbs of GRP and Lehman diesel, and have increased my toolbox exponentially to fit the work. The ca. 1.5galls / hour has been reliably envied by friends with SeaRays and other go-fasts. We don't trail anything bigger than our 9' Zodiac and a couple of SOT kayaks. Mazboot has kept us sane for 5 years, backing up a few really quite long road trips. The ability to self-isolate onboard has been a useful and welcome bonus during the current national health crisis.
Seakeeping has been consistently good; she takes it well on the bow and stern, but doesn't like beam seas (I could say, who does), and is generally handy in the sometimes-exciting-at-short-notice Chesapeake. OK, she only gets 8.5kts at best, but will cruise forever at 6.5 unless she decides not to; so far I've been able to fix everything that has come up, and I think everything is now ship-shape mechanically (touching wood with 2 hands as I write). A27s are not complicated.
One of the nicest things about owning an A27 is that other boaters seem to really like her looks, especially the woodwork, and make appropriately complimentary comments. I keep on meaning to park her in Ego Alley for a weekend to see what happens while enjoying some good ice-cream, but as usual, life intervenes. They'll have to wait another year.

Good luck with your decision making.
Thanks Doug,

I like the lines of the 27' and the more room she has. I've sailed the Chesapeake from Elk Neck to Cape Charles in a 29' Columbia as a kid. I love the Bay much more than the Delaware Bay where I grew up in New Jersey. Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”