• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How long can an original A-25 engine last?

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

How long can an original A-25 engine last?

Post by NickScheuer »

A lot of A-25's have been repowered. So how long can an original Volvo-Penta MD17C be expected to last? Of course some will say that depends upon the service record. So let's say the engine's maintenance has been optimum, everything done in a timely manner, no abusive service. Our Allbin-25, the DuNORD, was built in 1976.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: How long can an original A-25 engine last?

Post by dkirsop »

As the owner of a 1971- A25 with the original AD-21 diesel engine I would say an original engine can last as long as the boat so long as it is properly cared for. As for Volvo power - pfft, they are just a bunch of Newbies.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Post by REO »

I have been asking myself the same question. I am sure that there are a number of operating hours that define the expected life of a diesel engine. My problem is I am confident that the hour meter on my 1984 engine was changed. I'm sure that very few of us know the actual number of hours on our engine. You could have an oil analysis done, but that's just part of the story. I agree that we can keep our engines running forever, or as long as parts are available. The cost of a new engine ($14,000++) can not be totally justified by increased resale value. My engine is running well, but I am getting ready to replace it with a new Betamarine diesel. The problem is that my hands cramp up when I try to write the check.

)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That hand cramping is something you should have looked at by a professional.
In the meantime, you can buy a lot of parts, even Volvo Penta parts for $14000+++++.
The trick is getting the work done correctly. Even then, stuff happens. Ask Stxray.

Personally, I have had my MD17C apart three times and I think I got it right now. But at less than 200 hours per year, it may take a while to find out. (Setting the fuel flow screw too rich showed itself quickly last summer. Fortunately, the fix was a simple decoke operation, after figuring out the correct adjustment of fuel flow, which was standard practice for these engines with kits available just for that purpose.) And it still makes a 1973 diesel racket, though vastly improved with straightened and aligned shaft.

A shiny new red engine won't have these kinds of problems. (They still require maintenance.) If you have the disposable income and live near an excellent boat shop that is experienced in serious upgrading, write the check(sssssss$$$), if your psyche will let you Just don't stop with the drive train. Do a full restoration. Most of these old boats are stuck in the 70s where life was "simpler". Foot powered water pumps? Pffft. Go pressurized. 35A alternator and a diode between two group 27 batteries? Pshaw! Your shiny new red engine is available with hunnert watters and your re-engineered hardtop will accommodate plenty of solar. (Keep checkbook handy.) And on and on.

Some of us, even with plenty of disposable income, enjoy the puttering that these old boats ooze. Not everybody has the rudimentary mechanical skills nor simple curiosity of how things work to devote the attention to making a boat new. Or even run. So write the checks. Get on real good terms with your local boatyard on speed dial for all things maintenance and get out there before your disposable years overrun your disposable income. Or buy a new boat.
REO
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Post by REO »

My engine is a 1984 Peugeot/Lehman 4d61. Seen any Peugeot's running around lately? Like many marine diesels of this era it is based on a tough land use engine. Taxi's and tractors come to mind. Running forever is not out of the question. If I keep this engine, I will replace the exhaust elbow, motor mounts, starter, alternator, both water pumps and fix the rear main seal. At that point I will have pretty much confidence in reliability. BUT, after all that work and some $$$ it is still a 1984 motor with lots of other gremlins hiding within. The previous owner of my boat did an incredible renovation and refit, and then died before installing a new engine, so maybe I should stay on the original plan and finish it up with a new engine.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”