• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Bay Fleet Exercise 2021 ??

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

A27 Bay Fleet Exercise 2021 ??

Post by DCatSea »

There are at least 7 named A27s in the Solomons/Deale/Rock Hall - Mid Bay area: Ambler; Mary Jo; Mazboot; Dancer; Sprig1; "Big Stan" (Boat name?) and Pegasus.

I wonder if it would be possible to organize a "Marque" event sometime next Spring (C19 notwithstanding, being optimistic), in "slow lane" cruising range of us all - perhaps Cambridge, Solomons or elsewhere in the Mid Bay region.

We can visit (masked?) and swap war stories about A27s etc; please respond with suggestions if you would consider this.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Re: A27 Bay Fleet Exercise 2021 ??

Post by Ambler27FC »

Well I would be in. Probably won’t be in the water until late April to take care of paint/fiberglass work. Would be interesting to hear about what other people are doing. For me (Solomon’s area) everything between Chrisfield and Rock Hall is a 1 day drive.

I did see an A27 in Solomon’s on stands last winter while the lower rudder support (skeg?) was rebuilt, but I never saw the owner. My only A27/A25 sighting so far...
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

That sounds like a great idea Doug! I’ll probably still have my boat. Hopefully next year will be better. This year was pretty much a waist. Stay safe out there.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Up early tomorrow; weather in mid-Bay forecast a b&@“$! tonight and tomorrow. Already blowing a hooly here. Putting extra lines and fenders out by 0900.
I’ll call you in the AM.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
garybodie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hampton, VA

Post by garybodie »

I'm in Hampton, Va, but would consider joining, especially if you headed south.
--Gary
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Not an A27, but there's a chance, still TBD, that we might end up somewhere on the Chesapeake later in the season, likely late August through early October time frame at the end of an epic passage from Tonawanda, NY via Erie Canal, Hudson River, Jersey coast ICW, Cape May, & C&D canal. If successful how far down the Chesapeake we get is also TBD but hopefully as far as Solomons. Where ever we end up will park our boat in a marina while we obtain land transportation back to Tonawanda to pick up our truck & trailer to drive back, find a ramp, haul out, and return to AZ.

Which one if any of the A27s mentioned above might this one that we saw docked at Vera's on St. Leonard's Creek in 2015 be? Don't recall seeing a name on it.
DSCN2904.JPG
This was us at that same Vera's Beach Club marina. Note the number of empty guest slips.
DSCN2936.JPG
That said I would heartily recommend Vera's on St. Leonards, but check & see what their schedule is for what days they are open. Last time we were there, granted going on six years ago, they were only open Thursdays through Sunday during summer season. Back in 2002 during a Montgomery sailboat owner's rendezvous I got turned on to this place while Vera the original owner was still alive & got to meet her. I hear it's a real tradition in those parts.
DSCN2892.JPG
DSCN2893.JPG
DSCN2923.JPG
DSCN2914.JPG
Most recent Google Maps satellite view shows a lot of empty transient slips. Transient slips are at the 8 o'clock position, regular permanent slips & fuel dock are at the 5 o'clock position. Off to the right out of frame is a nice sheltered cove to anchor in. Don't recall if the fuel dock sells diesel there or just gasoline.
Verassatview.jpg
Sheltered anchorage near Vera's.
DSCN2886.JPG
Here's their web link:

http://verasrestaurant.net/?utm_source= ... m=referral

I can attest that when we were there they had a dozen crab special for $35 that was dee-licious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Sounds like a lot of fun, but Mary Jo has moved to Florida! We sold our house on the bay and plan to move to our condo in Florida. Looking forward to seeing a post with pictures when you get together!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Sounds as if there's some interest here, and some suggestions for venue. (DA - Thanks for the suggestion; love to see you here on the Bay. I have a couple of ideas ref. your haul out - PM me).
Regarding dates, perhaps later in the year would be better for mingling, especially if we have vaccinations etc in hand. The newer strains seem a bit more persistent. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

One suggestion is Knapp's Narrows Marina (http://knappsnarrowsmarina.com/), which says: We can take up to 20 boats, so that’s not an issue. Slips are $2/foot per night. Electrical hook-up is $7 for 30amp and $14 for 2/30 or 50amp. This includes continental breakfast, Wi-Fi, outdoor pool and courtesy bicycles.
As you may know KNH is very central, and within walking distance of couple of museums, well reviewed nearby restaurants, and a 4 1/2 Yelp-star inn on site. It also offers a very good entry point to the Choptank River, as well as being within "7kts cruising range" of our more venerable vessels.
As always, I'm open to all suggestions, but how does early August sound?
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Ambler27FC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Patuxent River, MD

Post by Ambler27FC »

Knapps Narrow looks interesting. I’ve been curious to see Tilghman Island and have never taken that channel. Love the Eastern Shore, but all destinations are good for something.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”