• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Looking for MD17C parts

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Looking for MD17C parts

Post by NickScheuer »

Can someone advise a good source for water pump impellers? I want to buy two. My last two were ordered (one installed) by a marina shop some years ago.

Also need a source for a thermostat. I think the one I'm using could do for replacement.

Am also looking for two motor block coolant drain valves (one replacement, one spare), pic attached.
motor block valve.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Looking for MD17C parts

Post by WillieC »

Spx-flow for impellers. Also, once you know what impeller(s) you are buying, and once you figure out how to use the chart, Defender is good. If you have the piggyback pump, note that you also likely have a stepped shaft which uses two different inside diameters on identical impellers. Impellers are readily available and prices can vary madly. I like SPX simply because I think they haven't been sitting around for forty years.

I used ASAP Supply in the UK for a brand new replacement tstat.

Consider just tapping out the plugs for NPT fittings. Do you still have the old valves? Mine were quite encrusted, but they can be fully disassembled and polished up, if they are not gone. I saw one on Albinmotor for 100SEK, which looked quite used.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

On the drain cocks, I ordered a replacement from Albinmotor, was new in package, not a used part..

JP
WillieC wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:17 pm Spx-flow for impellers. Also, once you know what impeller(s) you are buying, and once you figure out how to use the chart, Defender is good. If you have the piggyback pump, note that you also likely have a stepped shaft which uses two different inside diameters on identical impellers. Impellers are readily available and prices can vary madly. I like SPX simply because I think they haven't been sitting around for forty years.

I used ASAP Supply in the UK for a brand new replacement tstat.

Consider just tapping out the plugs for NPT fittings. Do you still have the old valves? Mine were quite encrusted, but they can be fully disassembled and polished up, if they are not gone. I saw one on Albinmotor for 100SEK, which looked quite used.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Plum76, thanks for the update and correction on the drain valve. The picture just didn't look so good.
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Nick, where on the motor are those valves? If I have them, they are yours.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Starboard side of the engine block at the base of each cylinder, and the fourth on the underside of the exhaust manifold at the aft end. They are identified in the motor manual. They are bronze, so a light touch on the wrench is best.

Many thanks.
Plum76
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Traverse City, Mi

Post by Plum76 »

No problem. I'm not sure the status of used/new on that inventory, but so far everything I've received has been NOS or new, but it's been limited to gasket sets and small pieces. I had a badly damaged seacock on my engine block, was very happy to get it out in one piece and be able to replace.

If I were ordering something more significant like an engine block, might expect that be a used/refurbished unit, but (fingers crossed) I have been limited to small pieces as needed to do necessary repairs/maintenance.

JP
WillieC wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:17 pm Plum76, thanks for the update and correction on the drain valve. The picture just didn't look so good.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I have been a customer of Albin Motor for many years now and even visited their shop in Sweden when on vacation there. All stock sold is new. It is a small shop with a large warehouse inventory. Stefan and his wife Marie were a very nice couple. Shortly after Albin closed its mechanical manufacturing process Stefan bought all the casting molds and had parts cast or machined off-shore to keep his business going. They must be getting close to retirement now so we will see how that plays out. I wish them well. I forget the number now except that it was hundreds of tonnes of stock that Marie said was in their warehouse! When a nut fell off inside my reduction gear I was thankful they were there to sell me the new replacement ring and pinion gears.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Nick, I sent you a PM. Here's what I have, and there's only two of them. (one cylinder head was missing the valve, and I sold the manifold already) They look clogged with rust, so fingers crossed they are any good. They came out easily, so I don't think the threads are damaged. I didn't try to open them. I'm just short on time today, heading to St Augustine to help my friend move his boat south and trying to get in some family time before I go.
20201103_163249.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Those handles are still straight! No pliars damage in sight.

I made a wrench out of a half-inch hex nut with a slot cut to accommodate the cross wire in the valve. Use a 3/4" box wrench on what is left of the hex nut and Viola!

Draining the forward cylinder is a bit of a pain. I repurposed a whiffle ball bat by cutting a hole to catch the effluvia and cutting off the knob. Pitching the bat to drain into a cup at the aft end of the engine works like a charm.

Soak them in CLR for a while. Gently work the valve. Patience, patience. Then take the valve apart to polish the mating surfaces.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

They look good enough to me, nebulatech. I had one valve plugged up with debris as you show and a the sharp point of an awl cleaned it right out. As WillieC said, the cross rods (wings) are not bent. Don't bother with further cleaning, I can do that. One of my four valves has the cross-rod ends broken completely off and the center portion is all buggered up from Visegrip work.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

I'll check out Albin Motor for a thermostat. I'd like to go "new" with that.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Vise grips and brass. Been there, done that...some things never change.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Emailed Albin Motor about a new THERMOSTAT using the "contact" function on the website last week but have received no reply. Emailed them a year ago about a different matter and no reply then neither. Wondering whether the link still works?
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

nebulatech: The sediment was harder to remove in your valves than it was in the one of mine that had been completely plugged up, but they are good to go now. Again, many thanks.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”