• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 25 owners?

Albin's "power cruisers"
gregor

Albin 25 owners?

Post by gregor »

Hi Group
Who also has a wonderfull old albin 25?
Anyone have a sail rigged version?
Anyone sailed ?
cheers gregor

P.S. Still hope to get some addl input on last post re oil leak.
Riverjohn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Riverjohn »

I have an A25, #1117, that was once a sailing model. I rescued it from abandonment and it did not have the sail rig at the time. Since I live on a river with many low bridges, ressurecting the sailing capability has not been a priority. What's your oil leak question?
John in Augusta
A25 #1117 "Ms Bettencourt"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Albin 25 owners?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I own 1971 Albin 25 Hull #736 which my wife and I purchased from the former owner in Idaho and transported down to Phoenix this past March. We changed the boat name from "Nowell's Ark", which was a play on words related to the previous owner's last name, to "La Dolce Vita", aka "The Sweet Life" in Italian. She is the older style, full displacement pre-deluxe version re-powered with a 1986 Yanmar 3GM30F engine, and came with a mast, boom, like new sails, and standing rig including a Furlex headsail furler. We have not attempted to step the mast yet, but took the boat up to Bellingham, Washington and cruised for 40 days as a pocket trawler in the San Juan islands of Washington and the Gulf Islands of BC this summer. The whole point of getting this type of boat was to be able to trailer long distances and have creature comforts of a 25 footer with sailboat fuel efficiency without having to wrestle with a big heavy mast. That's what an Albin 25 is all about IMO. It's paid off in comfort and lower fuel costs, as we cruised 280 nautical miles on about $130 worth of diesel fuel. And that's at fuel dock prices, which in Canada were over $6 per gallon.

I'm a bit reticent about installing the mast, even though all my previous boats have been sailboats, including a Catalina 25. Most photos of sailing versions of Albin 25's show the mast stepped on the cabin top a couple feet or so forward of the wheelhouse windshield, and have a compression post below about even with the forward edge of the galley. My boat does not have that. Instead, the mast step is right up against the windshield with a teak plate and fillet brace on the overhead inside the cabin under the mast, but no compression post. If a compression post were installed in that location it would interfere with the door to the head and the section of bulkhead that swings open to access the engine. I'd also be afraid that one miss step while jostling the mast into place and the windshield could easily be cracked or broken if hit by the butt of the mast.

The previous owner inherited the mast, boom, and sails from other owners previous to him and never attempted to step the mast. So I question if it is safe to even use the mast or would it stress the cabin top too much without having a compression post? Apparently it was set up for sailing at one time or another, since it has what looks like original chainplate fittings, a pair of odd looking type of jam cleats in the cockpit for jib sheets, and tracks for jib cars on the side decks.

However it seems doubtful to me that that a boat like this would sail well in any case, at least not on any point of sail other than beam or broad reach what with no weighted fin keel other than the shallow keel, not to mention the drag of that big prop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I agree with your evaluation of the sailing characteristics, DeseertAlbin736. I am a lifelong sailor (over 60 years) and when we wanted to trade our 28 ft yawl for an Albin-25, I did NOT look for the sail version. one look at the sailplan told me the boat would be underpowered, and that the lack of lateral plane and the small rudder were not conducive to anything beyond motor sailing. sailing.
Swells
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Esquimalt Harbour

Post by Swells »

We have an Albin 25 motor sailer and we've had her out for a sail in the Straight of Juan de Fuca - got about 2 knots! We keep the mast mainly for the added stability and I like the extra slide-up table in the v-berth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Forth to the open ocean - called by a new day
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

DSCN1531.JPG
Hey there Transitions! Good to see you post a pic with mast rig installed. We're still talking about our trip to the San Juans and Gulf Islands, and the Albin rendezvous at Roche Harbor!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

PS, without the mast installed we were able to transit Pender Canal between Port Browning and Bedwell Harbour, which we could not have done with a mast up.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
gregor
Mate
Mate
Home Port: petaluma,california

Post by gregor »

hello
new to group and a proud owner of a albin 25 delux berthed up the river in petaluma,ca. I am looking for a sail rig so ymight"thistle"can be a motor sailor again. she is powered by a volvo 2000series 3cyl turbo. I will owner her till I depart this planet. I also own a CHB 34 which I plan to sell within 6 months. smaller,simple albin 25 is where to be..
blessings and cheers
gregor
m/v thistle
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Gregor: Welcome. Missed your post. We are nearly neighbor's as my home is inTrinidad, Ca. We have an excellent group of Classic 25-27'. Lots of support here.
whwells "Howard"
jcamill55
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: petaluma, ca.

Post by jcamill55 »

Gregor were are you located ,I also have a 25 in petaluma on a trailer in my yard . Hope to see you sometime soon , Jim
Firefly25
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Port Charlotte, Florida, USA

Post by Firefly25 »

Hello all. We have the same Albin 25 but no sails. She is a great little trawler named Firefly. Just wondering if anyone knows of an autohelm system that is suited to this boat? Long cruses at 6 or 7 knots can get a little tedious. lol
Joe and Judith in Port Charlotte, Fl.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Im with you. Its just awesome to autoroute the route and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The only current helm based system is the canadian octopus. Its sold by lowrance with the nac-1 controller.

I have an old Raytheon Sportpilot on mine but im going to use the drive unit in the Sportpilot with a NAC-1 ot NAC-2. The lowrance wheel pilot could work but look funky. Other than those you need to convert to Hydraulic steering. I just overhauled my steering, if i known better i would have gone Hydraulic.

Defender has a great deal on the Simrad ess evo3 7” right now and that controls the NAC autopilots directly. At $650 vs a autopilot control for $500 its a steal
Last edited by tribologist on Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Bungee cord wrapped around hub of wheel and hooked to bottom of seat. Still requires attention, but gives the captain a break. You'll find out how tender she is. Any slight movement in the cabin changes course.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

tribologist wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:47 pm Im with you. Its just awesome to autoroute the route and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The only current cable steering helm based system im aware of is the canadian octopus. Its sold by lowrance with the nac-1 controller.

I have an old Raytheon Sportpilot on mine but im going to use the drive unit in the Sportpilot with a NAC-1 ot NAC-2. The lowrance wheel pilot could work but look funky. Other than those you need to convert to Hydraulic steering. I just overhauled my steering, if i known better i would have gone Hydraulic.

Defender has a great deal on the Simrad ess evo3 7” right now and that controls the NAC autopilots directly. At $650 vs a autopilot control for $500 its a steal
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We have a Raymarine Autohelm tiller pilot inherited from previous owners but is kind of funky & we don't use it. What they did was make a short detachable stub tiller that attaches to the rudder quadrant back in the aft cabin that you attach the tiller pilot to. A wired remote then runs up to the helm station. We tried it a few times & it didn't hold course well so we never use it. The stub tiller would make a good emergency tiller, but you have to pull the plywood panels in the aft cabin to hook it up. More trouble than it's worth. We've made some long runs up to 40 NM in a day & hand steering isn't much trouble since you need to watch where you're going anyway.

Fun to look at the original posts on this thread from six years ago when we first got our boat. A lot water under the keel since then.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”