• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

replacement window on Albin 25 deluxe

Albin's "power cruisers"
Northern Light

replacement window on Albin 25 deluxe

Post by Northern Light »

Where can i get the main cabin, forward replacement window ?
Riverjohn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: replacement window on Albin 25 deluxe

Post by Riverjohn »

I made my own. Got a pice of 1/4" Lexan from a local supplier and used the old window as a pattern. The hardest part was installing the new gasket material. Difficult, but do-able. John in Augusta, A25 #1117 "Ms. Bettencourt"
John in Augusta
A25 #1117 "Ms Bettencourt"
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Post by jerridsc »

Did you construct and install a hardtop on yourA25. If you’re the one, I have a few questions for you if your amenable.

Thanks,
Scott
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Are you talking about the windshield in front of the helm or the bow cabin window? Bow cabin window is just plexisglass. You'll need new gasket material and the tool to install the insert. I've got a thread on here and pictures I think including a link to the supplier of the gasket.viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8989&p=55632&hilit=window#p55632
I built a hardtop. I think I have pictures of that on a thread here also. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8945&p=55259&hilit ... ard#p55259
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Kerrye, glad you brought that up. My plexi windows are "crazed" and translucent from heat and UV exposure on both the forward and aft cabin front and rear. All the side windows of both cabins and wheelhouse as well as the windshield are actual glass, so they're OK. Could be another project on this winter's "overhaul" schedule besides painting topsides, and in fact may be a good time to include replacing windows and gasket material. Thanks Kerrye for reposting link to that thread.

jerridsc, as seen from the link Kerrye posted, we've both done hard tops. Kerrye's method would be much easier to do than what I did with ours. But I absolutely would not want to be without the opening hatches we have with ours. They provide excellent ventilation while also providing shade, and in the case of cold or foul weather help keep things warm and dry when closed. Not to mention that I can stand up at the helm & stick my head out through the open hatch for maneuvering and docking. I built my hatch covers from scratch with Iroko for the frames and okeume teak veneer plywood for the tops, but you could use factory Bomar or Lewmar type hatches, which are nice but quite expensive, like in the $600 range for each. But going the fiberglass route is not for the faint of heart, as you can see in that thread. And in the case of Wisconsin winter climate you would need a good temperature controlled shop to keep things above 70 degrees during layup.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

It's not obvious on mine, but the flat top is split and hinged so the driver's half can flip open leaving the top over the helm open. Not sure I'd use the design again. I waterproofed the hinge with a strip of Eternabond tape. It is a quick build though. With materials and tools on hand it could easily be done in a day.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I plan to replace my cabin windows this Spring with Lexan like Riverjohn. They're all cloudy. My pilothouse windows are OK. The windshield is glass and the side windows are custom sliders from Diamond Seaglaze.

With the exception of the Diamond Seaglaze units, I have to replace ALL l my gaskets too.

I like hearing the words "Do-able".
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”