• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Installing a composting head in a FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Installing a composting head in a FC

Post by JFOkie »

Howdy,

I have a 1987 27 FC and am considering installing a composting head and was wondering if anyone with a FC has installed one. A friend of mine lives on his boat and has an Air Head and a few other friends also have the Air Head and love them....as much as someone can love a composting head.

I've only owned the boat since Dec, but have already had the pleasure of dealing with a smelly vent hose and some leakage with a fitting. By removing the holding tank I will be able to add 1-2 additional batteries and plan on installing 2 solar panels on the wheel house roof which should take care of my power needs.

So I was wondering if anyone has installed a composting head in a FC and what issues, problems, and suggestions you may have. Also which brand did you go with; Air Head & Natures Head seeem to be the only big players. What modifications did you make in the head? I thought about removing the sink and vanity and redoing the whole head to provide more room when showering.....but don't want to take the type of project on right now.

I'm also going to post this in either the General Discussion or Maintenance forum to get some feedback about the composting head itself, but hope to hear from a FC owner who has already done this project.

Thanks,

John
"Nirvana"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: Installing a composting head in a FC

Post by NickScheuer »

I installed a Natures Head in our 1976 Albin-25 early this past Summer. It has worked well for us. The installation was somewhat simplified by the fact that our Albin came into our possession in Sept 2011 with her Marine Toilet and holding tank not installed, just loose equipment. I had planned to install a NH in our previous sailboat, so did not want to install the traditional marine toilet. It seemed the boat had been used for many years (or at least the most recent few) with only a portable potty.

The only things I really had to think about was where to locate an exterior vent for the fan-powered exhaust. I finally located it on the side of the house near the radio antenna mount. I used a common flexible white plastic vent hood to shield the hose from rain, adding an insect screen at the cabin surface to keep bugs out of the toilet unit.

The sole in the head compartment was not quite flat enough for the NH base, so I screwed and epoxy-glued a couple of 1" thick Cedar boards to the sole on which to fasten the NH securing brackets. I used Cedar simply for rot resistance.

Our boat has no lavatory.

My wife likes the installation. The NH has a higher, more comfortable seat position than our previous Porta-Potty.

We run the vent fan off the battery when on the water, and plug it into a 110-v outlet beside our driveway when the boat is parked at home.

Nick
Elbowlake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Indian Purchase Township, Maine

Post by Elbowlake »

Nick,

Appreciate your post about having installed a Nature's Head.

You were quite positive about it, but would like to get your thoughts after your having used it a few years.

I just purchased an Albin 25 and will be boating on both fresh and salt water so the composting head would be a great fit. Currently focused on the C-Head due to price.

Would appreciate any updated tips on installation, usage, etc.

Frank
1978 A25
Dam Boat
Elbow Lake, Maine
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

John please keep us up to date with project, think it is one a number of Albin owners have thought about.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We're thinking of doing the same on our A25, except going with the Air Head instead of NH. A member of our sailing club has an Air Head installed in his Seaward 26 sailboat and really likes it.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

I need to replace one of our heads and am thinking of a Natures Head or similar (they are both around the same price and setup).

I have some questions;

First, one reason for doing this is that Lake Champlain is our first stop on the Loop. The whole lake is a NDZ so rather than look for a pump out station I can look for a garden. Anyone know the discharge laws on Lake Champlain?

Second, I understand that the Great lakes also have the same rationale and are NDZ as well?

Third, are there any areas where a composting toilet is not accepted as a 'proper' means of waste disposal?

Finally, any input in this area, positive & negative would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

We continue to like the Nature's Head in our Albin-25, the DuNORD. Having looked over both the Nature's Head and the Air Head prior to our purchase, I believe they are almost identical. They function the same, and they are very nearly alike in overall size and shape. The fact that both companies are located in the same area of Ohio may tell you something; maybe like the similarity between the Ultra-light Aircraft, the AVID FLYER and the KIT FOX; partners slip up and form their own companies.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

We did equip our boat with a second urine tank so that our on-board urine range is doubled. We do occasionally pour urine overboard out in open water. We could have easily equipped with an ordinary recycled polyethylene jug of some sort, however, the Nature's Head urine jug is very stout, and switching jugs is easy and sanitary.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We've debated the idea of installing a composting head for some time now for all the reasons above, as mentioned in my Feb 17th post. I was discussing the subject with another member of our Lake Peasant Sailing Club just the other day. This was someone who had spent several years as a live aboard long term in the recent past. His only comment was that while a composting head works fine and doesn't smell up the cabin on your boat, it can be annoying to marina dock neighbors downwind of the vent. Anyone have any experience with that issue?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Well, it has been a heck of a winter. We've had so much snow that I haven't started the head renovation. But, I will delay my launch because I really want to renovate the head. I've gone back and forth about which one to install, but I think the Natures Head is slightly better overall.

DesertAlbin736, I haven't heard of any issues with venting odors from any type of composting head, but I guess it is possible.

Once we have a thaw and some of the damn snow melts I will get the project going and post pictures. Also going to replace the rub rail as it is the source of leaking in the rear berth. Wish spring would get here.......
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Post by stxray »

Any updates on your Natures Head installation?

I'm looking to do the same on my '76 A25 Deluxe. Pictures, sketches, tips & warnings would be greatly appreciated.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

You've probably read this in your research:

https://yodersafloat.wordpress.com/2012 ... ession-21/
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Getting a late start this season due to the range of work our Albin-25 needed and all of the hot humid weather which renders work inside the boat extremely uncomfortable. Our Natures Head has not been installed yet (soon will be) because one of my projects is changing from fuses to a new circuit breaker panel, and I wanted to have better footing in front of the electrical area and not have to root around behind or under the head every time I drop a screw or other small item I'm working with. We've never that the fly and maggot problem. I did have to switch out a non-functioning vent fan last season (still under guarantee). The original may have just operated too many hours. I run the potty fan on garage power (boat kept on trailer beside garage) between outings with the boat to keep the head changing air for drying solid waste. Except for urine, our potty never has to be emptied during the summer season.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Hello Kerye,
Thanks for the info. No, I hadn't seen that but I am aware that composting can be as much an art as it is a science. To that end, I am in the process of consuming the information:

Cornell University http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/index.html
The Art and Science of Composting by University of Wisconsin - Madison http://www.cias.wisc.edu/wp-content/upl ... ompost.pdf and
The Simple Science of Composting by Earth911 http://earth911.com/home-garden/the-sim ... omposting/

I'll need to learn how to manage an on-board composting system seeing how I've already bought the toilet. :roll: I found one on Craig's List that had never been installed for half the price of new. So I guess I'll have to make it work, lol.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Hello Nick,
Interesting, I find I'm in the same situation...

Since I recently acquired my A25, I too have a lot to do. I did not like the way the electrical was setup so, I'm in the process of re-doing the battery/cabling/wiring (in the head). The boat had a typical marine head when I got her. The PO was pumping into a 5 gal. jug container that sat unsecured on the battery area of the hull. Not to my liking so, out it came. (I have the marine head with electric pump, if anyone is interested).

So, now I have to figure out just how to fit the NH toilet into the little head compartment. I'm think I might remove the sink? If anyone has already figured out the best/good/another way to fit it in, I'd be most appreciative for comments and/or suggestions.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”