• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Better Days A27 FC Refit

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: Better Days A27 FC Refit

Post by Jay Knoll »

Last ones for now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Post by Binford »

Looks awesome!
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Thanks Tim!
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

What was I thinking?

Or I think I should have thought ahead a bit.

Perhaps this will help others who are refitting their boats to stop and take a breath and, if the main companionway teak needs refinishing, to do it early in the refit process.

Stupid me, I dove into all the mechanical repairs and then refinished the below decks before I thought about the topside work. Generally that would have been a great work plan except for one small item. It is an absolute PITA to refinish the teak around the companionway without a bunch of debris/water/teak cleaner getting below decks and messing up all my other good work.

So, do yourselves a favor and clean up that wood while the rest of the boat is torn up. You don't have to get it completely refinished, but at least clean the wood and apply a seal coat and perhaps a first coat of varnish before you start working on the other more pressing projects.

You'll be happy you did, and I wish I had!

Good luck
Jay
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

If that is your biggest 'learning moment' then you are WAY ahead of the curve. As always, your work is top notch. Just out of curiosity, does better days have an HVAC system? Did you install or PO?
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

LOL no no HVAC, unless you think that 4 Hella fans qualify; 2 in main cabin one over each berth in the aft cabin.
Albin_Bda
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Albin_Bda »

Jay Knoll wrote:]More progress, working on the aft cabin. The drawers were rotted due to poor bedding of the aft cockpit drains (and loose hose clamps) fixed that before I started this work. Installed a new bilge pump and rerouted the hoses so I could fit drop boards over the shaft. While I was under the cockpit I noticed a bit of "extra" space so I built another drawer. The new step and drawers are cherry. Painted cabin sole, now on to fixing the doors and varnishing the trim around the entryway.

Jay, I have a similar issue with my boat-how the heck did you get to the aftt deck drains?? As far as I can see, there is no access on my boat.......

Thanks
Peter
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Peter

Do you have an opening in the bulkhead under the aft step? Look at the pics of my redo. First you push all the tools you think you'll need thru or you enlist someone to stand by and listen to you swear and call out for tools. Then you lie on your back, reach one arm over your head. Slide that thru the hole, then turn your head to the side and slide your head thru the hole. Once you've got your head and one arm in then you should be able to slide your other arm and shoulder in and now you can start to work! If you're by yourself make sure you have a cell phone with you so you can call someone if you cramp up and can't get out. I'm not kidding, this is how I got in there, my wife watched me once and thought I was crazy, she couldn't do it and she is a much smaller than me.

Of course if you don't have that hole then you need to start with a saber saw! And you'll be able to customize the sizes of your new drawers/cubby holes.

Good luck
Post pics!
Jay
Albin_Bda
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albin_Bda »

Thats what I was afraid you were going to say.......I have already attempted this, but at 6' it was not possible. I did however invent a few new words....none of them PG13.

However you have given me a few ideas....none of which are as elegant as yours :) I think I may end up inserting a 4" circular hatch on either side to access the drains. I will keep you posted. I am in the middle of gutting my forward cabin.......yay. Aft cabin will be after Xmas.
Albin_Bda
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albin_Bda »

Hey Jay,

Just saw your pictures of the replacement switches on your helm station. I was wondering if that would work......any modification required for the replacement switches (which look like BlueSea?).

Thanks
Peter

PS What power plant do you have? I have an Izuzu.....)
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Peter

I am 6'2" so it is possible. I'm checking with my electrician on the switches, I remember we started with on kind and ended up switching to another, I THINK they are Blue Sea but let me make sure.

I have an Izuzu as well

Cheers

Jay
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Peter

Opps, glad I checked. They are older Cole Hearse units, he said you can find them online
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

It has been awhile since I posted anything here and work has been progressing

I had some rub rail left over from the dinghy refurbish project so I thought why not put it on the swim platform, which needed major work. I redid it two years ago, put 8, yes count them, 8 coats of Cetol, it didn't last in the Florida sun. So I decided to paint it the same color as my decks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Looks great Jay. Did you use any non-skid on it? Ben
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Ben

No, I didn't put any in, I figured I'd see how it feels when I use the dinghy, those slats provide a bit of a grip, and I don't think I'll be spending a lot of time walking around on it. I can always add a coat with some non skid in it later.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”