• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Better Days A27 FC Refit

Albin's "power cruisers"
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Re: Better Days A27 FC Refit

Post by rnummi »

Jay, the whole project looks fantastic. What was the rough battle damage for the rewiring (particularly the new panels)? Where are they mounted? Shoot, I might just putter down to Vero and drop off the boat with your electrician..... A nice job worthy of emulating.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Rnummi

Sorry, I can't remember how much the electrical project cost but here is a link to the panels https://www.bluesea.com/products/catego ... tal_Panels

They are mounted over the "hanging locker"(now the pantry) the inverter panel hides behind the companionway door when it is folded open. I think I moved the door hinges down a bit to give me enough room to mount the panels in that space, it was a tight fit but worked out OK

I helped out on the project, pulling wire, installing battery boxes, etc, so I saved a little money along the way.

Jay
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

I have a freedom 25 inverter I picked up a couple of years ago for my Catalina 30. Do you think that would be overkill on the A27?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

it really depends on what you're going to run, I have a 2000 watt inverter on Better Days and have been very happy with it, if you've got the space, and we know you do, and since you already own it, why not put it in? I made a mistake and put mine under the port side aft berth, should have put it on the starboard side to help keep the boat on an even keel.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Jay how big of a battery bank do you have. I'm thinking one starting battery and four golf cart batteries. I'm open to all suggestions
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

I have 2 4Ds in parallel and a group 31(?) starting battery. With a Blue Sea ACR

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/S ... 4V_DC_120A

And this switch

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5511e/ ... ery_Switch

So far I've been very happy with the setup
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Jay: What's the amp hours of the battery banks?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

4D's are usually rated 12 volts @ 200 AH, the same as a pair of golf cart batteries connected in series. While all golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries many 4D's are not - They are usually used as starting batteries on large diesel engines. Golf cart batteries are easier to use since you move them around one at a time and a 6 volt golf cart battery weighs about half of what a 12 volt 4d weighs

I can't think of a single advantage to using a 4D over using a pair of gold cart batteries

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

On to installing refrigeration

We tried to go the ice only route, but have had a difficult time finding block ice on our cruises. In Florida, cubes just melt to fast, even in my Yeti cooler installed inside 4" of additional foam insulation. So I've decided to bite the bullet and install refrigeration. I think Don gave me the idea of installing the compressor underneath the stairs. I started drilling holes yesterday. After I opened up the bottom of the icebox I found little insulation behind the bulkhead. So I decided to beef up the insulation with some expanding foam, I used Great Stuff Big Gap Filler. There is a trash management plaque at the top edge of the icebox near the stairs, I figured that I could hide an access hole behind that plaque so I pried it off and drilled. I figured that I could hide a couple of holes behind the evaporator so I took a deep breath, set my hole saw pilot drill to its shortest setting and drilled. Whew! no hole in the side of the boat, but I learned that there is only 1" of closed cell insulation on the box. I dispensed 4 cans of foam thru the top holes, I'll fill the bottom one once I mount the evaporator, run the lines and make sure everything is working properly.
I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get the hole lower so the line would run below the step (I'm going to make the upper area a storage cabinet) but I couldn't get my drill (even with with a 90 degree head) any lower in the box and I couldn't be sure that I would hit the right spot in the box by drilling from the outside. Oh well, it is what it is, I'll fabricate some protection for the tubing and then build the cabinet around it.

More later..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Great photos Jay!
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Jay, Thank you very much!! That's one of the big questions I've always had- how much insulation in that dang box? 1" isn't much/enough so I guess I'll be doing the same as you. Thanks again Ben
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

New Cabinet in Main Cabin

Before I started the refrigeration project I built a cabinet for the starboard side of the main cabin. I always hated that little shelf above the table. I finally got the last coat of finish on the doors today and installed them while I was waiting for the foam to kick in the icebox. The print on the bulkhead is by a local artist friend Dawn Miller http://www.dawnmillerart.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Wow love the work! What kind of refrigeration is it?
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

Super idea for the cabinet space. Wish I had thought of it......not to late to steal.... I mean borrow. Great work.
Vic
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Wow love the work! What kind of refrigeration is it?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”