• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Re-attaching the vinyl lining ?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sven_G
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Västervik, Sweden

Re-attaching the vinyl lining ?

Post by Sven_G »

The lining in the v-berth is loose at the top. Was it originally glued to the hull from top to bottom or was it only glued at the top ?

I'm considering epoxying a wood strip to the inside of the hull at the very top and then stapling the lining to the strip. The strip would not normally be visible but screwing another wood strip on top could hide the staples (I'd use stainless).

Better/simpler ideas ?

Thanks.
-Sven

First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: Re-attaching the vinyl lining ?

Post by JT48348 »

I'm going to be redoing my headliner throughout the boat and i am considering two options. I plan to use the old headliner pieces as a template.

Option 1: new headliner from Sailrite or Defender, vinyl foam back maybe permeated. Attached with 3m headliner adhesive. There are several you tube videos on this and they identify the adhesive. Trimed in strips of marine poly lumber ( similar to king star board)

Option 2: new headliner made of Sintra pvc foam board. I think this would be cheaper than sailrite headliner and i like the ease of cleaning it etc. Also allows for running wires and easy to access interior hull. This product is waterproof and can be bent with a heat gun around radius. Trimmed in marine poly limber strips.
It remains to be seen how easy it is to reduce the headliner to relatively flat pannels.
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Sven & JT,

My headliner sags in the forward cabin and I too thought about using epoxy and placing a strip of wood to attach the liner to. JT your ideas sound interesting, I hope you both post updates and some pictures as things progress.

John
M/V Nirvana
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

On my rebuild I took the damm thing completely out. After 30 years you should have seen the crud it was housing. Sanded the overhead and painted. Maybe down the road will make some changes. Now it's easy to clean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sven_G
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Sven_G »

A previous owner did a very nice job replacing the vinyl/fabric (?) headliner with what looks like marine-grade ~3/8" plywood panels in both cabins. They probably reduce the headroom a small fraction but they look very nice and appear to be maintenance free. I think there are 4 panels in each cabin to conform to the compound surfaces. They are screwed in place.

I'll go get a picture or two and post them.

The liner on the sides of the hull is still original and that is what is sagging on Bali. The headliner in the footwells in the aft cabin need work too.
-Sven

First Mate
First Mate

Post by Sven_G »

Here are some pictures of the headliner. Some panels are in need of varnish after some water intrusion, but first things first.
DSC_4271.jpg
DSC_4275.jpg
DSC_4276.jpg
I'm not sure if the bulkhead panel is stock or a custom modification ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
-Sven

First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

CaptVic wrote:On my rebuild I took the damm thing completely out. After 30 years you should have seen the crud it was housing. Sanded the overhead and painted. Maybe down the road will make some changes. Now it's easy to clean.
CaptVic how hard was it sanding down the inner fiberglass to smooth?
This would be my first choice, but I imagine it really needs to be ground down to get smooth for a paint finish?
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

I've thought about sanding and painting the ceiling too, but not sure how much work it would take to make it smooth. A friend of mine told me to use bondo (used in auto body repair) to fill in and smooth it out, but not sure if that's a good idea.

It must have been interesting to see 30 years of .....crud. I want to take the headliner down, but afraid it would stay that way for a while and drive me crazy looking at it. I need to clean out or replace my water tank and also replace my head vent hose......but still trying to figure out how to reach the through hull from the inside; I need longer arms!

Good luck and please keep the project pictures coming as things progress.

John
M/V Nirvana
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

My 1976 Albin-25 had the vinyl mostly hanging down loose on one side of the aft cabin. I ripped out the vinyl from both sides, wire brushed the hull, and painted it with semi-gloss bath and kitchen enamel with mildew inhibitor. I'll do the same with the forward cabin at some point. Who wants to live with that crumbling urethane foam backing?
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Has anyone used "3M" spray glue to re-attached the original cabin (bulkhead) vinyl liner??

My vinyl liner is in good shape, but starting to sag in a few spots.

My concern is the backing foam rubber is somewhat powdery and the glue wont adhere.

Anyone have any spray glue success stories for me?

THANKS
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

I’ve never had success with spray glue and reattaching sagging headliners. I like the idea of removing, sanding and fairing and paint. Easy to clean and should brighten it up a bunch.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”