• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27-Galley

Albin's "power cruisers"

What type of stove & refrigerator do you have in your galley?

I have no stove.
8%
I have no refrigerator. (Ice box or cooler only.)
33%
Gas stove
5%
Electric Range/cooktop
2%
Induction
2%
Origo 4000 stove (A27 stock)
33%
Diesel Stove (Wallas & Webasco)
No votes
12v refrigerator
11%
110v refrigerator
5%
Gas refrigerator
3%

Total votes: 64

JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

A27-Galley

Post by JT48348 »

Curious what's in your galley? Since I tore out the head and started reparing the ports, the galley went also. I plan to replace the countertop with a piece of composite, maybe acrylic or some type of cornian, with a shallow double sink, pressure water. With everything tore out, the design is wide open.

Stove:
For a stove I have been exploring induction cooking. In my house boat I remodeled my galley and installed a twin burner 110v electric ceramic/glass cooktop I never looked back. It was great at the dock; off the hook I used a Magna gas grill. Because the house boat was in the slip for daily living, the cooktop was a clean surface to cook on, easy to maintain, looked sharp. Not too expensive.

I recently started looking at induction cooking, exploring the idea of what it would take to run a single induction burner (they call it a "hob") at the dock and off the grid. I located a 1300w induction hob that can be built-in. I'm thinking of putting this in the countertop where the opening for the counter ice box used to be. I'd open up the cabinet face for ventilation of course. This is the model:
yhst-10843381165166_2271_8402249.jpg
71e56OakcAL__SX522_.jpg
sr963t-install.jpg
http://www.sunpentown.com/sr13inb.html

I recently experimented with the NuWave induction model and it fried and egg in 4 minutes, cooked 5 pieces of bacon in eight. From living aboard so long, I have a very good idea of how and what I cook so I know how long it might be used off the hook, and I think I know the power demands via an inverter. If I can't run it off grid, I will have a backup stove that I can put on the counter for those days away from the dock.

Refrigerator:

I'm looking at a Indel Webasto Isotherm Cruise EL 85 refrigerator 12v. I plan to mount it on a knee high cabinet just forward of new head bulkhead.
3_CRUISE_Fridges_CRUISE_Elegance_85_NEW_120x110.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Re: A27-Galley

Post by JFOkie »

JT, I really enjoy your posts. As part of my installation of a composting head over the winter, I plan on adding two additional batteries where the holding tank was, add a refrigerator in the galley (somewhere) and eventually a pair of solar panels on the roof of the wheel house. A friend of mine has a similar set up on his sailboat and the panels provide a trickle charge to his refrigerator keeping everything cold and the batteries topped off.

Looking forward to seeing new pictures and which refrigerator you decide to go with.

John
M/V Nirvana
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

John thanks very much

Fyi: i was able to talk to the isotherm folks and the 12v refrig(which is also wired for 120v) pulls approx 30amp per day. Not bad

The induction stove on the other hand is about 120 amps for just one hour. But because it cooks so fast i should be able to use it for 30min a day off the hook

The wallas stove which is by far the best solution because it runs right off the main diesel tank and can do dual duty as a stove and heater--unfortunately its $2800.
Too many zeros
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

I took out the stove on my 27 redo to save the counter space. I now have a portable one burner butane stove that you can use anywhere on the boat. If I need two burners i'll buy another one. The extra counter space is really nice. Vic
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Also I installed a Viritrigo 12 volt fridge/ freezer . I had one of these in a sailboat and it was great. The power draw depends on the size and insulation of the box. I reduced the overall size of the ice box my Albin 27. The unit is small enough that I installed it under the entry stair that I modified.
Vic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Thanks for the Pic CaptVic! Can you show a few more with your mods?

Jay
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

Nice installation Vic!

I had a similar unit on my last sailboat, except that it had a keel cooler for the condenser and the amp draw was very manageable. I added insulation to the factory icebox reducing it's size by about 40%. I was able to make all the ice cubes we use and since we're both habitual ice tea drinkers, we went through a lot of ice

For my A-27, I'm installing a unit similar to yours in a 90 quart cooler (not a Yeti, but one very similar) which will be the base for the dining table up on deck between the settees. The compressor/condenser will go in the port locker under the seat

The 'secret' to DC refrigeration on a boat is a top loading icebox with great insulation - 3 to 4 inches on all 4 sides and 6 inches on the bottom. Units with a door which opens like a home refrigerator dump out all the cold every single time you open the door and then the cooling process starts all over again. They may advertise a 30 AH per day draw, but I'll bet those numbers were done with a full box and zero openings of the door. If you actually open the door as often as most of us would in daily use, that number will be considerably higher

Don
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Thanks Don. I also cut the volume in the icebox by 40 percent. John what more can I help you with on my mods? Vic
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Hi Vic, it is Jay, not John!

Just hoping for a bit more detail on your mod. Did you put a storage area under the bottom step? Did you move the steps forward? I presume that the compressor is covered by the top step and protected by a kick panel .

Thanks

Jay
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

I think the single burner is defiantly all you need these days especially if you have a plug in hot water kettle or coffee pot set up. I have gone like Vic with a portable burner burner too.
Getting rid of the 2 burner stove also opens up lots of counter space too.
For a cool box there are some very good low power chest type coolers with 12v/110v that can be placed in lots of places. Won't make ice but I rarely use it in drinks .
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Jay,

I started out to put the compressor under the lower step but that didn't work so I converted that to a small storage area and moved the compressor up one. Yes there is a kick plate and plenty of ventilation for the unit . From this position it was a snap to run the lines/control into the bottom of the ice box. I opened another small storage area behind the head. I converted the hanging locker to shelves. Since I no longer have a back cabin I've gained three huge storage areas on the aft deck and two more under the seatee ententions.
There are a lot of places that you can gain storage in these little boats.
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Vic K »

Jay,

I don't believe that I changed the position of the steps, just utilized the space that was there. Vic
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Thanks Vic!
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

How about some pics of the inside of the box? Thanks
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Wife and I lived in an over the road truck for 15 years with no refrigeration, learned to select foods that did not require it. But like our ice for sundowners, and the occasional cold beer, we put in an ice maker and love it. It will make up to 27 lbs a day. Thanks, Mark.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”