• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27-Galley

Albin's "power cruisers"

What type of stove & refrigerator do you have in your galley?

I have no stove.
8%
I have no refrigerator. (Ice box or cooler only.)
33%
Gas stove
5%
Electric Range/cooktop
2%
Induction
2%
Origo 4000 stove (A27 stock)
33%
Diesel Stove (Wallas & Webasco)
No votes
12v refrigerator
11%
110v refrigerator
5%
Gas refrigerator
3%

Total votes: 64

JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: A27-Galley

Post by JT48348 »

Anyone replaced their kitchen sink? I'm looking for a stainless double sink smaller than 25" wide. I've layed out the proposed galley and of course nothing fits. First issue is the proposed double sink at 25x17. It would be huge.

Second issue, the induction idea has run its course due to sizing also (more on that later).

Now thinking about electric cooktop to the right of the sink. Maybe a double burner stacked verticle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hobbit
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Harbor, WA USA

Post by Hobbit »

You only allowed two choices.

We have the original non pressurized alcohol stove and consider it far superior to pressurized alcohol stoves. We also carry a small gas grill for grilling.

Our refrigerator is a 110V, 12v, lp gas (1 pound tanks) cooler. We seldom use the gas, but it works great when we need it!

We spend more time on the hook than in port.

Your vessel looks great. Enjoying watching the progress.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Joe

I think a lot depends on how you're going to use the galley. My wife likes to cook, and often the meals she prepares require 2 burners, hence we devoted the space to a propane stove. Then we put in a deep sink, we've had a double sink on our sailboat -- but something had to give. We the only real "adjustment" has been that we start out with a little bit of dishwater in the sink and hold the dishes above to rinse -- slowly filling up the sink.

This is the sink we bought, I know crazy price but it has worked out great

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 6&id=26754

This is what we ended up with

download/file.php?id=6373&t=1
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Jay: that looks great. I think mine will look very similar. Is your countertop solid surface or Formica?

Can you take some detailed photos on your countertop storage?
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Countertop is Formica, I'll get some pics the next time I'm on the boat. I build the dish rack to accommodate the dishes she purchased.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Here is a picture of the dish rack. The fiddles are removed when we are in port/at anchor. The bottom fiddle was an add on, we found that water from the sink splashed around and ran outboard, I installed the new fiddle and caulked underneath it, the area under the dish rack now stays dry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

That's great! That looks really good. Thanks so much
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Final project of the 2016 winter season: cutting the custom countertops for the boat.

I decided to bite the billet and purchased solid surface material from solidsurface.com. I chose a pattern called Kona Livingston for $300 which is a nice dark gray/black with chunks of quartz looking speckles. You need one sheet which is approx 33"x120". The material comes in 1/2" thickness and you can cut with wood working tools. If you hunt their site often you can find sheets of solid surface for under $300, different pieces come up for sale at different times.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

I think you'll really like that single bowl sink. A single is a lot more versatile and holds more than a double. The divider in a double takes up a lot of space. If you need to do two things in the sink, just use a container of any kind to simulate the second bowl. 8)

Countertop looks good in the head.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

One thing you learn from living aboard, is it can be tough keeping dishes clean over an extended period of time. This is especially complicated by a single bowl sink (which holds LESS than a double bowl).

When I lived aboard my classic sailboat for almost a year, I never gave this much thought. But frankly I ate away alot. When I lived aboard the other boat for 4 years it was much more obvious.

The best way to keep dishes clean, is with a dedicated bowl with super hot soapy water and another for rinsing. Over time I came to miss the piece of mind of even a dishwasher to properly clean and sterilize dishes, something we often take for granted. In a weekend cruiser situation or short term live aboard situation you don't notice this as you leave the boat and forget about your dishes till the next visit. But day after day of cheesy burrito mixes, bacon sandwiches and stir fry --cleaning dishes and having clean utensils is a absolute priority.

Depth of sink is less important to size of bowl as it allows you to wash normal sized dishes without making a mess. Unfortunately I couldn't find a reasonably priced double bowl bellow the 22" size,even when searching RV speciality sights.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Got the countertops for the head and galley cut. The solid surface cuts easily with a jig saw. I used a 1/4" round over bit on each side of the forward edges to give a nice edge.

The countertops polish up without much trouble. I ended up with a semi-gloss finish and I have to say I'm impressed with my DIY skills. I'd never done anything like this before, but YouTube has all the info you'll need. I'll mount the countertops a little later, as I want to be able to ensure cabinets shelves are done and plumbing basics are run.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”