• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cockpit cracks

Albin's "power cruisers"
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Cockpit cracks

Post by tego »

JT, I knew I remembered someone on here did the same thing I did. Look back at Jays post on 23 Feb, '15. Mine look exactly the same , but I used 4200. Ben
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Yes I saw that. You guys clearly have different scuppers from what I have. They look like 1 1/2". But what through hulls do they connect to? Do you have 1 1/2" above live through hulls or do the scuppers size down to something like 3/4-1" hose. Are your scuppers straight or 90 degrees ? I was hoping for a photo from underneath.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

JT, All the hose for the cockpit drains are 1 1/2" also. The two forward drains are 90's and the two aft drains are 1 1/2" straight, coupled to 1 1/2" "T". The hose runs from the forward drain thru the "T" and aft to two 1 1/2" thru-hulls on the transom about 5" above the waterline.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Re: Cockpit cracks and posting photo.

Post by sail149 »

Ben
to post a photo you have to first get the photo on to the computer or iPad or phone you are using to connect to AOG.
Write you post then go to "full editor" beside the submit button.
Then go down until you see the upload attachment, then choose photo.
Click that and then you browse on your computer and select the photo.
Then you click the preview button above and you will see what you post will look like
You can do any text editing and even add more photos ( you can add more that one at the same time but it's less reliable).
When you're satisfied, after previewing as many times as you like can then submit in the usual way.
Hope that helps with posting photos if you want to. See screen shots below.

Does sound like your drains are special.

JT I'm was suggesting a non traditional approach by threading the fiberglass. Some boatbuilders just fiberglass a pipe nipple to the drain location and then attach the tubing to that pipe, tartan used to take a fiberglass pipe nipple and fiberglass it to the hull as if it was part of the hull and then thread a bronze ball valve onto it. Not the best but worked well. I'm just suggesting something similiar for the other end!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Now if I can just figure out a way to turn picture 45 degrees in my posts. It shows "normal" in iPhoto and sideways in AOG.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Thanks Warren, I'll get a few shots of my boat and see if I can get the hang of it. Ben
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Chris where are you? You've disappeared so I guess your up to your knees in epoxy.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sail149 »

rnummi wrote:Now if I can just figure out a way to turn picture 45 degrees in my posts. It shows "normal" in iPhoto and sideways in AOG.
Hi Rick
I think I've had this problem, apparently the iPhone need to have photos taken with the phone held in the 2 handed landscape style instead of the easier one handed portrait style . When the photo get used in a non apple application the software does not know to rotate it.....unless it's something else!
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Rick still plugging away. Almost have my headliner project completed. Getting ready paint the engine room and all the storage lockers. Then I can start the engine. It's going slow. I have to get to harbor frieght to get the sander polisher. Have fun on your boat I'm envious
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Pics pics pics..... I really am getting a lot from the discussion. JT and you are blazing a trail. Tell the rest of us the steps. I'm really intrigued by the materials being used. Very interested in the joints and joinery issues. Adhesives as well.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Photos of engine hatch area cockpit scuppers. I'm going to size up to 1" scuppers that will feed to 1" thru hulls.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sail149 »

Have you looked at the photos you just got from Joe Pucca? The connection to the cotpit and other drains appear to have large rigid tubes or pipes connecting them all together on one side and then maybe to a common drain.
Can you see more In the photos of the deck before install on hull?
Looks like a more difficult system and probably more expensive so was dropped for whatever have ...... but what we have did not work well!
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I've gotta do mine for sure. Appears factory stainless grates on all 4 cockpit scuppers. No sealant in any of the stainless screws holding down scupper screens. Scuppers (plastic) themselves are all 90 degree bends with top flange screwed through deck. Again, no sealant. Removing flange nut reveals direct access to balsa core of deck. Ild say my boat was built on a Monday after a heavy bender over the weekend. Must have run out of caulking too. Sheesh.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

After a lot of searching I found the the following solution for the cockpit scuppers. I first purchased replacement 90 degree Attwood 1/2" thru hull fittings #3877. But upon close inspection I didn't like the "nut" that went on top. This part is an exact replacement for my factory scuppers in a 1986 A27.

I then found Johnson 90 degree 3/4" thru hill fitting # 75035-00. Which has a screw on mushroom head. The mushroom head is much lower profile and looks much better when installed. There's less space for garage to collect in the deck drain area and the thru hull diameter is larger. Approx $10/each. You need 6.

I used a Dremel tool with a barrel sander to enlarge the scupper deck hole so the mushroom head lies flush to the deck. I also used the same tool to grind download some of the aft engine room bulkhead where the scupper thruhulls go up through the deck.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Scuppers installed. Johnson scupper w/Mushroom heads sit flush with the deck and can be covered with factory. stainless grates.

I have six Attwood scuppers that match factory original if anyone needs them. PM me for details.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”