• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cockpit cracks

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: Cockpit cracks

Post by JT48348 »

Questions: what "drawers" are you referring to? Do you have drawers under ur aft cockpit deck in the aft cabin? I'd like to see pictures of that

Are you saying you have 3/4" scuppers? That's what I thought. Mine appear very small also. I'm partial to at least 1 1/4" scuppers in my boats and thinking of changing them out if they are too small.

When you refer to the board that holds the liner up, do you mean the wood you find under the cabin top, up against the hull? In the aft cabin this runs along the upper inside cabin where the pan liner meats the headliner. If this is wet, as mine was, I am guessing its not from the hull-deck joint. Its from the windows. Water leaks into the cabin top via the window seals and runs down the liner to the wood backing plates. The portholes are not glassed very well from the factory and usually rotted out. My guess is if you pull the head liner you will be horrified.

You're goign to want to look at this thread to see what you're in for:
A27-Beckson Ports Window leak Thread
To avoid "overwhelming syndrome" --Don't do this until you have completed your scupper and cockpit sole project. :)

I suffer the same feeling every time I climb on the boat. Its gutted and 15 projects started at one time. But IMO its better to do everything at once than to try and fix things piecemeal.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi JT thanks for the response. The drawers are in the aft berth right below the companion way and behind the fuel tank. They have been taken out I can take a picture of them out for you. I think big Tupperware tubs would give you more storage have to see what the admiral says. The scuppers look like they are just plastic 3/4 inch street ells fiberglassed in if you put bigger scuppers in they will be in the drawers. Probably leave the small ones for now and just fix the cracks and rot. Funny thing I found the forward scuppers on the port side where not hooked up to the thruhall and where emptying on to the top of the water tank. That is the piece of wood you are mentioning you are right it is the port lights. It looks like the forward cabin has new ones I hope. Thanks for the link on fixing them seems like I never have much luck searching. Yes I have 15 projects started at once. Found the best solution for the overwhelmed feeling. I looked at a house from 1740 and out buildings everything was a wreck and needed fixing I would of been 90 before I got that project done makes the Albin 27 look small. I fix houses I don't know much about epoxy. Thanks for the responce happy fixing
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Sprig

This might help you

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/How ... 0Part1.pdf

Don't have to buy their stuff, there are other epoxy systems out there, Jamestown Distributors sells a line. I've used West for years it can be a life saver.

Jay

PS JT if you check out my Better Days refit you'll find some pics of drawers in the aft cabin
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Re:steps
Very interesting. My fuel tank takes up all the room under the aft cockpit sole where ur drawers are. It should be easy to remove the tank and deal with scuppers if need be. I just have flush steps to the bulkhead. I am considering putting drawers into the fwd bulkheads of the aft cabin.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I cut out the floor rot 16 inches out. Could not save cut out pices . The triangle pice in the picture turned out to epoxied back in over rotted core. I ended up taking out the aft companion way jamb and threshold what a mess going to caulk everything back in so I know it want leak. Didn't destroy to much. I need new coring for cockpit floor. Still deciding on scuppers weather to leave little ones or put bigger ones in. Have to find ones with 90 degree bends in them so they don't mess to much with the drawers.
Started taking out the port lights only got one out so far. It leaked surprise. The one over the galley sink. For how rotted everything is do you think the joint between the cabin top and cock pit is leaking? Thinking about epoxying that. I know the next thing is the cockpit side windows. Iam going to use 3 m 4000uv to put everything back together any thoughts. Thanks chris
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi all this is how much I took out for the cracks and rot in the cock pit sole. Just epoxied Cossa board in today and will put top coat on soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Love coosa board! You're making progress now. Looks good!
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I can't believe I spent good money to buy this boat! I should off walked away. It looks like the previous owner just took a sledgehammer to the cockpit and the port side. I should of stuck to my original offer it is amazing how hind site is 20/20. But I am a big boy and I made the decision and I have to live with it. I look at houses all the time and can usually some them up in 20 minutes trust your gut feelings. I should of listened to the person that said thirds, one to buy one to fix known problems and one to fix unknown problems have to have that imprinted on my head who ever said that thank you. End of rant back to work.
Know it looks like the front deck has to come off the surveyor said there was a soft spot up by the bow but not to bad but had to be fixed. I'm getting water in the front v berth know and the deck feels softer then when I first got it. I don't have a tarp over the bow just the cockpit and cabin. The question is should I go from the top or bottom? Just bite it and rip out the headliner. It all has to come down along the sides since the boards are rotten. Then I could get to the hand holds to caulk them. Any thoughts would be much appreciated thanks Chris PS my new saying a sign of maturity is when you can take someone else's advice
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Hey Sprig, did you replace the scuppers? If you did, what with, where from, part #? Has anyone posted a "rebel/replace your scupper thread? If so, I can't find it. If you've done yours, can you start a DIY thread for us poor souls.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi rnummi no I never replaced the scuppers. I figured it is not going out in the ocean. Other people here have the same ones and they work fine. I have bigger problems if I take a wave over the stern. I decided I am going to sand down the cockpit and use kiwi grip. Good luck with your project. Everything is pretty much straight forward. Just do it to the best of your abilities. Everyone here has helped so much when I was apprehensive about a project on the boat.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Where did you order the coosa board from? I was trying to see a sample before ordering. By the by, was there anywhere below the cockpit to add a vertical support? Your softie was by the hatch, mine's about a foot out equidistant from the two seats.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi I got the cosaboard from Hamilton Marine in Maine. Also got the clip that holds the rub rail on and the tracks for the sliding windows in the pilot house at the same time. You shouldn't need any supports under the cockpit floor. Do you have the dresser drawers that might provide some support. Or you put a support right after the fuel tank.After I fixed the rot the floor does not even flex when I put the threshold in it will even be stronger. You probably have more rot and water damage then you think. Cosaboard is nice but you probably can get away with marine plywood. You read about that you should not use dissimilar cores. You be the judge. If it's all flat I would use 1/2 inch plywood or find balsa core. My figuring is its epoxy encapsulated. Use what's cheapest because you have a lot more money to spend. When cut your cockpit sole try to save the fiberglass top layer use the finest blade saw you can and make round corners if you can. Don't ask me how to do that I didn't do it but should of to stop stress cracks. Use one of the vibrating saws and peal the fiberglass up. Cut the fiberglass backside where it's still attached. You are trying to save the fiberglass top so it can be reused. It will save a lot of time you will not have to lay up new matting. I had 250 lbs of lead to hold it all down tight when I reinstalled it. If you get your fiberglass out clean. I have been told that you fill the crack with Marinetex and it matches the gell coat when you reinstall it. I'm going to do it this way on the bow where I have a large problem. A friend does it this way and says it looks pretty good. Not perfect but it will pass. Hope this helps good luck. Just keep asking and you will get ten other opinions and really be confused. I usually am
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Thanks, I'm just collecting info for epic project #2 (for after I complete pilot house). I took to heart your earlier comments about not getting too project happy. The boat has been essentially in a large warehouse for 6 years. The core is absolutely dry. My first inclination was to buff the hull, drop her in the drink and work on it from there. After reading your and Do's posts, I need to fix the surface leaks first (to avoid putting water in the dry core). You mentioned earlier the drill, bent nail, inject epoxy, repeat 40 or so times over entire area. I might try that route first... Seems to me I could do this now and then tackle the deck cuts later while in the water? I've also pulled all the deck hardware / bright work I could to bent nail ream and seal.

I need to find where the water was coming from that delaminated the deck. I'm thinking the aft drains....plus I've got enough deck stress cracks that might be the cause as well. What say you? Drill and fill or peel and coosa?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

Just a thought..... What would the hypothetical pros and cons be of plugging in an access hatch ala the 27 sport? There's one down at Dunedin Marina and the thing has access ports all over the place. Why not retrofit one in. Presumably you could go sideways at the rot (or delam) while you were cutting the hold for the hatch?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

I thought about that will probably just put small access panel for fuel sending unit. There's nothing under there but fuel tank. Nice hatches are big money. I would rather have something else for $700.00 dollars. Probably want put the drawers back in just use. Big tupawhare bins.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”