• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bedding glass windows

Albin's "power cruisers"
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Re: Bedding glass windows

Post by sail149 »

if you blow up the last picture I posted above you will see the 'factory ' drain hole exposed when I pulled the SS track out of the way, which had no bedding compound at all! Typical Albin 27. Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Warren in that picture, are you looking from the inside out or outside in?
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sail149 »

That is view from inside. I put a piece of vinyl cover trim outside to not co fuse the view with stuff in the background.
I assume they were expecting water to leak out the joint in the corner into the hole. Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

Post by tranmkp »

FWIW,

I redid aall my windows in my old 27. It was pretty tedious. The wood had been oiled so much it was more like mahogany. once i removed all the windows and trim, I dropped the glass off at a glass shop and got new laminated glass with a green tint. It was about 200 bucks if I remember. After sanding forever on the wood trim, I put two coats of epoxy to seal and sanded to where there was no grain at all. I then put on about 4 coats of interlux spar varnish diluted a bit in a Prevail sprayer. When that was done I put on 4 coats of Le Tokinois varnish - I looked terrific, It lasted a year and a half before it needed a touchup. And that was under a covered slip. I used Life Caulk dark brown. I masked the glass, dropped in into the frame - I made little teak spacers so the space was even all around the glass wood frame. I would peel the masking off while the caulk was still wet to get a clean line. Pretty straight forward. Alll the holes for the windows in the pilothouse had to be filled with epoxy as the balsa was soft and would not allow you to really tighten down the frames. That part ws most unpleasant. I bought new stainless channels and felt for the side sliding windows. It was a little trick to square all those corners up but it all fell in place. Looked great will all the clean blue green glass. Gosh, did I use a lot of stainless screws....

here are some pics - I think I have closeups - will post if I fond them - boat was sold for 20k - kind of miss it but, there are always more boats

http://artshot.net/albin27forsale/
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Beautiful work tranmkp. I could only hope mine turns out that nice. The wood work really shines is it all varnish?
tranmkp
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Houston, Texas

Post by tranmkp »

yes, all varnish. The Tokinois varnish is really really good. Very old school. It is not brittle and not "rubbery" like cetol. You just wipe it down with alcohol then apply a coat. Its great for sealing metal too.

http://www.tarsmell.com/index.html
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sail149 »

Hi tranmkp
In your great photos you mentioned and showed reinforcing the hull.Could you talk more about this . It's the first time I've seen this mentioned.
Thanks a lot
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”