• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bedding glass windows

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Bedding glass windows

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi all I am bedding the glass windows on the front of the cabin. I can find references but nothing that that says what to use. They are wood windows and quater inch laminate glass. The bedding goes between the glass and frame? Have some Sikaflex but it says for poly carbonet have 4000 uv. Just wondering thanks Chris
JIMBO44
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: PORT ST LUCIE FLORIDA

Re: Bedding glass windows

Post by JIMBO44 »

I tried for 6 months to get some good advice same subject. Had 3 alleged pros come to see me. This on Treasure Coast of Fl, Port St Lucie. They couldn't do the job. Further South, in Ft Lauderdale, Miami, several really good glass people could do the job but they and similar repairmen were overwhelmed with $$$$work on local yachts and were several months booked up. By the way, no one on our web site wanted much to do with this either. My 28TE forward 3 windows had leaks, I finally found a real glass man here in Port St Lucie who told me that he knew the correct adhesive, used it from the exterior, perfect results. Good news if that it is obtained from West Marine, Silicone base, about $15, part # 5427046. Good for wood or fiberglas. He did not recommend removing glass and rebedding unless absolutely necessary, I thought it was, was ready to pay for the work, it was not necessary. If you do need to remove, he advised to get a pro, lot less expensive that broken glass which he said happened to many others. This stuff is better than anything used before.

JIMBO44
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

I haven't gotten to this project yet so I haven't commented yet. I will tell u my initial thoughts.

I plan to re-seal all glass windows regardless. Warren did a good job and has explanation in new sliding tracks using Beckson tracks that I may copy.

I plan to use a good silicon sealant. The same product I will use on my Beckson ports.

West Marine part #5427046 did not come up. But 5427046 did.

My understanding is this is basic marine silicon sealant and arguably same as commercial or construction grade with UV inhibitors. I have read that Dow Corning makes a silicone sealant superior to DAP or GE brands. My research indicates a "neutral cure" silicon sealant. There's apparently two different types of silicone and you want that one. I've read GE Silicone II is a viable budget option as it meets the above requirement. But I have no first hand experience.

Alternatively I might use 3m 4000uv or 3m 4200.
But that's not a silicone product. And it's a whole other discussion.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi thanks for responding. I have all the windows out fixing leaks and rot. The glass came out of the wood frames real easy. The front center was already broken . I cleaned all the frames and sanded them used a electric planer on them worked great. Coated them with four coats of tung oil they look great for awhile we will see for how long.The window frames are removed from the boat. Also installing beckson slides. I guess I will just use 4000 uv that's what I am going to install frames with. I think. Going to the boat store tomorrow will probably change my mind again. Thanks again for the in put Chris
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

I replaced all 3 of the panes in our boat. I bedded them in with standard GE clear silicone that I bought at Lowes. It probably isn't the 'right' material for the job, but I wanted something clear, something waterproof and something that I had experience working with. I figure worst case, it's probably good for at least 10 years. I don't know what the original sealant was, but they leaked before and they don't now

Don
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

Whatever mastic you use leave a bit of 'meat' to the sealant. Silicone likes to have an eighth inch thickness at least. All too often people squidge on the mastic, locate the parts then bopper up the screws tight and squidge out all the mastic leaving just a thin film.
Personally I use what boatyards use and that is butyl sealant. It never sets solid and allows the frame to flex and temperature expand.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
loritnj
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Barnegat Bay, NJ

Post by loritnj »

I'm not an Albin 25/27 owner (yet!) nor have actually seen one up close enough to dissect, but Catalina 27 sailboat windows like mine are known for their leaking abilities. Butyl tape has become a very popular solution that apparently lasts for years yet can be easily removed. Can't do that with silicone or polysulfides. There are all kinds out there of different qualities, but after some googling I bought a roll for myself sold by a popular DYI sailor in Maine (with plenty of how to's), thinking I'd do my windows. While I've still not gotten to that project, I've used it for a number of other uses onboard. I may have to get another pretty soon.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sprig1 »

Butyl tape seems to be popular. Found some Sikaflex 295uv am going to use that says it for bedding glass will find out I guess. Thanks all for the suggestions Chris
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Butyl tape is the only bedding sealant or compound you should use to 'bed fittings , windows etc'. It never sets up so fitting can be removed. And it works!
Caulking is for houses for carpenters to squeeze out of a tube on to or into crack they have created.
Permanently sealing or gluing can be done with poly sulfide or polyurethane compounds but don't use if you want to take apart. And stay away from silicone on boats it's never used right and does not stick for very long.
W
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Butyl tape it to s then. Does it adhere to sanded wood or does it need a clear plastic base (like barrier coat epoxy). If anyone has used butyl, could you walk through the install on forward Windows. Use it a: joint between frame and pilot house. Between glass and frame? All of the above?
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

It's a little harsh & inaccurate to say no one in the forum responded to this topic. I'm sorry your not getting the help you need. In fact several of us responded when it was posted elsewhere. But what is true is that there's no consensus just yet on the sealant for the to glass to frames or the frames to boat. There's lots of opinions on this and some misinformation I think. Be sure to do your own research outside the forum.

I'm curious for the Butyl Tape Supporters: how do you bed your glass in the frames with butyl tape? The grooves or channels for the glass panes are very narrow. How do you put butyl tape on the glass to insert in the frame? And how do you clean it up afterwards? What does it look like post assembly? Can you show a photo

How do you use butyl tape to mount the frame to boat. There are extensive gaps in the mounting locations. That's a lot to fill with butyl tape. How do you seal the mitters of the teak frames with butyl?

Respectfully, my windows are completely disassembled, sanded, and treated. I don't see the butyl tape method working. I'd like to see some photos or hear some specifics on how this exactly worked. Because it's at odds with what's lying on my workbench.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

No worries, just flying across the USA on Delta surfing the reams of info available.... I was thinking I'ld have to coat the frame side that would interface with the pilothouse (to allow the gaps you pointed out to be filled). I agree I can't see untreated teak working w tape. As you point out, same issue w window beds. They almost have to be treated to seal the teak right?

As the blind man said.... I can't see a damn thing, tell me where to go.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I just had my windshield replaced on my X5, the satellite guy used this adhesive. It's heated and shot with a caulking gun. Safelite uses it to remount windshields. He says the stuff sticks like crazy (obviously its holding your windshield in place which is a structural component on BMWs.... I'm just saying. He says you can only buy it from safelite but they do sell it. It is not a 5200 derivative as it scrapes right off metal with no residue.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Why do it?

What's wrong with commercial silicon
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

To be honest the real problem is that the Albin window bedding system is crappy. And what ever we do is a compromise. They don't make boat Windows like this on quality boats. No disrespect it was cheap for a reason and the reason we can get them. But the usual system is to mount the window in a proper frame, in a gasket of some sort then mount the frame and glass combo rigidly. With butyl or other permanent bedding if you prefer.
But what do we do with the cards we are dealt without breaking the bank on new Windows?
I'll look into this shortly.....boat going under cover soon!
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”