• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 - Swim Platform Project

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

A27 - Swim Platform Project

Post by JT48348 »

While I wait for more materials for the head project, I started looking at my swim platform. The old platform was deemed unserviceable because it had been coated with Deck Restore.

The new platform is a Craigslist special, formerly off a big wooden Chriscraft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: A27 - Swim Platform Project

Post by Sprig1 »

Looks like a good find. I have to take mine off because it is leaking. I guess I will reinstall it with 4200. Your project is coming along.
Tough Ombre
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Noank Ct

Post by Tough Ombre »

Nice job with the brackets and the platform looks good. I took my platform off and found that the transom is fairly thin to support such a wide lever arm. To fix this, I cut 4 round layers of fiberglass mat in ascending sizes, with the largest around 4'dia. I ground the gel coat and applied all four to where the lower brackets mount with the largest outside. You can't see them in the water and they stiffened the platform a lot. Also, very satisfying screwing into these substantial points. Good luck with your project!
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Initial sanding done. Noticed several places where the original teak had split along a joint so I mixed up some epoxy with teak dust (leftover from sanding) and filled in the joints.

Dry fit to the boat was excellent. Follows the curve of transom perfectly. Will fill old holes and drill new ones with backing plates. My platform mounts via four L brackets and four struts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

My boat had never had a swim platform on it (and no doubt we were going to need one) so I made my own . . . . from scratch. As small as I could get by with (it protrudes just 18 inches from the transom) but large enough to get in and out of the dink easily. The platform is two layers of 5/8ths ply and the outer two inches around the edge are banded in oak. Laid up with West System Epoxy and covered in glass and more epoxy. The edge is wrapped in 1 1/4 solid stainless bump rail (try bending that around a near 90 degree corner! - What a learning experience!!)

My thoughts were that the platform is going to take a real beating getting in and out of dozens of unfamiliar marinas while doing the loop and I wanted something that could bounce off pilings as it inevitably will and not be easily damaged. I welded up the brackets myself from 1 1/4 by 3/8ths stainless 304 flat bar and they are thru bolted with huge 1 1/2 inch thick (2 layers of 3/4 ply soaked in epoxy) backing blocks inside the transom. Ladder up to the deck on the top, swim ladder underneath for getting out of the water, cleats for tying up the visiting dinks. The platform weighs 65 pounds total - I hope it's up to the job!

Don
Last edited by don123 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I like that, very sharp. I like white with tread instead of teak and bracket triangles seem like a good idea
don123
First Mate
First Mate

Post by don123 »

I was actually most worried about banging the platform from the side and having it move left or right with respect to the transom, so the brackets are probably a bit of over-kill. As thin as the transom is, I thought the 1 1/4 wide stainless would make it very hard to knock a hole in the transom

Don
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Don, I think the only thing you have to worry about is knocking over the pilings if your platform hits them. Nice job and definitely strong enough! Ben
Vic K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Houston

Post by Vic K »

Great job Don.

Vic
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Transom holes filled
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Beta Don »

You had a really good look at the construction of the transom when you filled those holes - How thick the outer fiberglass skin is, how thick the inner skin is and what the core is made up of. Can you picture what would need to be done to mount a 50 HP outboard bracket there?

I have a 16 foot Carolina Skiff rated for a 30 HP outboard and the transom is easily 2 1/2 times as thick as the one on my A27 . . . . and it's solid and not cored

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Bah!
Don't get me started again
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Located some scrap half round stainless to add to the edge of the swim platform. If you start from the center you can work your way around the corner radius slowly and avoid the metal buckling from being bent.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Really like that JT. What kind of finish are you putting on it? Thanks
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I want to install a wider platform, JT, so I am hoping to see the pics of how you do the bracket installation. That part make me nervous! I assume of it will hold a couple of adults there will be no problem sitting a 70 lb dinghy on it.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”