• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 - Swim Platform Project

Albin's "power cruisers"
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Re: A27 - Swim Platform Project

Post by JT48348 »

For my brightwork I use Cetol Sikens exclusively. Over the years I've found Cetol is the easiest to apply, easiest to repair, and it lasts the longest between touch ups. The down side is the color for many people. On really clean wood and teak it's not the best looking, I concede. But on 39 year old wood that's been abused, it's a great solution.

And some have complained that Cetol peels over time leaving sharp slivers--but I've never had this happen in all my years of using it. I have seen this with epoxy ( not UV resistant) and with some varnish.

To mount the platform I'm using the same set up as the original A27. Which is top brackets and bottom struts. Across the top of the platform on the underside are (4) 3x3" brackets which are basically stainless angle flat stock. Two bolts to platform, three to hull.

Then there are 4 struts which are 1" stainless pipe that bolt to the aft edge of the platform underside and go 45 degrees to the bottom of the hull at waterline. This was the original A27 setup. Inside the hull I used very large 3/4" coosa board backing blocks for thru bolting.

With the new platform I had to reposition the brackets and struts to match the new platform.
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

We've found that Sikens Cetol "Light" is nit as intense an orange shade and looks more like varnish. It holds up well.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

I believe Sikkens developed their product to protect log cabins as well as our teak. I've checked out the products available here for the cabins (lots of them in the Smokey Mountains). A company called Structures Wood Care Inc produces a coating that is just like Cetol, minus the orange tint. I've used it for three years now and it is superior to Cetol in my opinion. It has more UV resistance, produces a very natural look on teak, is flexible (doesn't scratch easily), is very easy to repair (just brush a little more on over the scratch), and costs about $70 a gallon. I put a fresh coat on each year (no buildup noticeable). The gallon did my boat for three years and my sons 36' Marine Trader for three years, and I have about a pint left. You can look it up on structureswoodcare.com. I get the "Nature Color" recoater in the "natural" tone. You do NOT need any other product, such as their base coat etc. I get lotsa comments from other boaters on my teak. Ben
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Forgot to mention that I get this product from Sherwin Williams here. Ben
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

That's good info wish I had known that!
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Question: My understanding is that the original boarding ladder was mounted such that it gets put down over the edge of the swim platform and when up rests against the transom as a sort of ladder up and off the swim platform onto the aft deck. Is this correct?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
markdbecker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Higgins Lake, Michigan

Post by markdbecker »

Sunsetrider you may want to check out this site. shatooshandpashminablogspot.com she has a whole section to include templates and where to place the brackets to avoid the vent system on the 25............
Ticaboo
1970 Albin 25 series 2 #575
Yanmar 3GM30F
Residence: Jackson, Michigan
Homeport: Higgins Lake, Michigan & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Was there an 'original' ladder . . . . or platform? Mine didn't come with either

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Joe, That's the factory supplied ladder arrangement. You'll have to size your swim platform for the ladder fit if you have an original ladder and a new platform. It works well but mine didn't have one when I got mine. My PO obviously whacked the platform at some time and "repaired it" but took the ladder off. I totally rebuilt the platform correctly but haven't been able to locate a ladder yet. Ben
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Mark - couldn't find the info on the site. I looked at every annual link.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I have seen this type of ladder at my local marine salvage shop. There's a place here in the Detroit area which is my go-to spot for marine oddities and rebuild parts. Next time I'm in there I can ask what one costs.
Last edited by JT48348 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markdbecker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Higgins Lake, Michigan

Post by markdbecker »

Ticaboo
1970 Albin 25 series 2 #575
Yanmar 3GM30F
Residence: Jackson, Michigan
Homeport: Higgins Lake, Michigan & beyond
Sunsetrider