• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 Air conditioning

Albin's "power cruisers"
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

A27 Air conditioning

Post by TorreyWP »

Anyone out there add AC/heat to their A27?

I would love to hear about your install project or how it is installed in your boat.

The AC/reverse cycle heat unit Im interested in is made by Webasto. Jamestown and Defender carry that brand and I have experience installing these units. I thought of three mounting options:

- Under the starboard cockpit seat then ducting both the aft cabin and the forward cabin. I would use the 9000btu version for this arrangement

-On the floor of the hanging closet. Ducting only to the forward cabin, return built into the existing door and vents at the top of the hanging closet. 5000btu for this.

-Under one of the aft cabin storage bins. Vents as high as possible and return down low. 5000btu for this.

I have considered doing both 5000btu options together but if used at the same time I would need to add a shore power line. I have not decided where I will spend most time. Since purchasing the boat in late October I have only stayed aboard 2 times, once in each cabin. Its a toss up for me, I was in the slip at the marina so it was calm overnight, I like the roominess of the aft cabin but having the head and everything close by in the forward cabin is nice too. Not sure where the AC and heat is most important yet.

Pictures would be awesome!

Torrey
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Re: A27 Air conditioning

Post by Gunny »

Been awhile since your post but I recently had installed a/c /heat in my A27FC. Used a Dometic 12000 BTU. Installed under starboard settee. Return is on the face of the settee and it is vented out the port side into the cabin. Duct was run through the bulkhead and under the sink area, behind the head and through the bulkhead into the engine compartment. It is vented on the aft cabin starboard side just above the drawers.
Cost a bit more than I would have like but unable to do myself due to physical limitations. It works well so far in Charleston SC and the lovely weather we have been having!
This layout was the simplest and prevented having to go overboard with fabrication of vent boxes etc as some have done.
Initially thought I would get 16000 BTU but A/C man was concerned of
icing and I am inclined to agree with it's performance so far.
FYI
Gunny
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

My older Webasto 5000 unit, which I will probably be updating in the next layup season, is located under the port after berth, and ducted into the aft cabin and through the wheelhouse locker into the for'd cabin, does a good job of cooling, but would be improved by s new 6000 unit. I'm not too worried about the wheelhouse. Looking forward to updated air for next summer, when we seriously hit the waterways.

That said, talk with Ron Johns in A27 Dancer. He just had a really nice install done, covering the entire boat, including the head (nice!!).
Last edited by DCatSea on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

I installed a 5k Webasto unit under my stbd aft cabin berth with a duct running thru the area under the cockpit and up to the forwarcabin, discharging above my forward companion way steps. I was initially concerned about no return air from the forward cabin, but it works great! The return air is from the aft cabin and that discharge duct was easy. I built a plenum box above and behind the aft cabin steps for that cabin, with the duct coming off that box for the fwd cabin. It has worked very well here in TN with temps in the high 90's, I cam maintain the temps in both cabins at 70 by balancing the discharge duct vents. My little 2000 watt gen can run it easily if we're on the hook. The newer 27s with the foam-backed white headliner are pretty well insulated compared to the earlier brown (less foam) backed liners. Ben
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hutchinson Island, FL

Post by changer »

I have a 16000BTU Dometic ( Cruise Air ) installed under the port quarter berth...ducting to the forward cabin as well. works fine here in east coast of FL.... not seen any icing, but I understand the question.

doug
1985 FC
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hutchinson Island, FL

Post by changer »

JT...couldn't reply to your message ... so here is my answer on the board...also sent it to your 'contact' through your website.

JT,

Yes it is a 16000BTU ?? ... Previous owner selected it and had it installed. I don't use it a lot, but when I do I have run it for hours here in FL and never saw icing.

The layout is to service both fore and aft cabins. There is a return in the aft cabin mostly open from the area forward of the berth although there is also a return under the berth where the controls are mounted.

There is no return from the forward cabin. I looked for one as well, but it seems to be fine with out it. The feed cool air duct runs forward from the aft cabin unit through the port side locker and enters the forward cabin just behind the companion way steps.

There is raw water strainer in the port side of the engine compartment along with the raw water pump. The water exits unit through a through hull above the water line port quarter.

I believe it was installed in 2006. Don't have logs with me now.

Send me your email and I will send pics tomorrow when I'm on the boat.

standing by,
Doug, CHANGER
naiBDA
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by naiBDA »

Hi all,

I live in Bermuda where its super hot in the summers as well and thinking of installing AC for next summer as a winter project. Are you guys running these AC units off of generator? Where is that installed?! Finding a place to put the AC unit seems simple enough....but where are you guys installing the generator? Thanks!
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

I use a portable generator when I'm on the hook. I put it on the swim platform (tied to the stern rail in case of a strong wake) and it works very well there. I have CO detectors in both cabins, but neither has ever gone off or even indicated a rise in the CO level. There are several 27's that have installed diesel generators, usually on the stbd shelf alongside the engine. Ben
naiBDA
Swabby
Swabby

Post by naiBDA »

Ok I will take a look. I think my holding tank is there for the toilet. and then aft i have two fuel tanks....but i think i'm more comfortable with a generator on board and not on the swim platform....seems dangerous.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Yes, you will have to move your holding tank and most boats also have their HW heater there too. You have lots of room for a holding tank under the cockpit sole but that's a long way from the head. That's why I went with the portable genny on the platform. What engine do you have? If it's the big Isuzu, you will for sure have to pull the engine for installation of a genny there and then it'd be a bit** to do maintenance there. There is a lot of unused space under the cockpit sole on mine (Nissan, with twin tanks also). A genny might fit under there. Ben
naiBDA
Swabby
Swabby

Post by naiBDA »

I have the 100 westerbeke...yea even where all the hatches are i'm sure can fit something around there. ill keep you posted!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”