• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Correct size weatherstripping for A25 windows

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Correct size weatherstripping for A25 windows

Post by kerrye »

Need to replace the front and back windows. I think I understand how it's done and it doesn't look that difficult with the right tool. But the threads I read here didn't specify (as I recall) the exact size of the rubber weatherstripping. Does anyone have any idea that that is? The link below is a source for the weatherstripping but as you can see it comes in a variety of sizes. The sizes are determined by the thickness of the hull and the window. Also, as you can see in the link, there is a variety of the weatherstripping which doesn't require a key--it just clips into itself. Has anyone used this kind of weatherstripping?

http://www.perfectfit.com/15976/154177/ ... t-Etc.html
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Correct size weatherstripping for A25 windows

Post by kerrye »

oops, I found the info:

"The weatherstrip for the A-25 is the 75000463, also known as AS-1456 for use with 1/4” Glass Panel and 3/16” Body Panel. This weatherstrip requires a locking strip to be inserted as noted in the table on the last page of the attached catalog cut sheets. The locking strip we used was the 75000675 / 75000478 also known as AS-789."
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Thanks for the tip & link!!! It's bookmarked on my favorites list. Replacing plexi windows and weatherstripping is on my future restoration to do list, as the front and back plexi windows are all crazed-cracked from sun exposure and DPO's (you know, "Dreaded Previous Owners") also used sloppy looking silicone to seal around all the windows. Of course the windshield, wheelhouse side, and forward cabin side windows are all real glass & in OK condition, but could use new weather stripping anyway, this being a 45 year old boat.

We just got back from a weekend on the Lake Pleasant for our annual sailing club "Sweethearts Valentine's Day Cruise" and raftup, where the gals skipper the sailboats in a fun race. Of course being a power boat we're not eligible to race, but can join in the fun afterwards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

I ordered a 50 ft section of the weatherstripping and the locking strip. I did not find anyone around here selling it as cheap as perfect fit. A smaller glass shop could get it to me at about the same as Amazon ($140 for the two and about $80 for two pieces of plexi.) No one had any UV resistant/scratch resistant Lexan in stock and Plexi is much easier to polish when needed. I will sell whats left after I got mine installed.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Post by jerridsc »

I replaced all window gaskets on both the glass panels and the plexi panels. I used the gasket material noted in previous forum entries, AS1426. I found that the center section of that gasket material is a bit thicker than the original gasket. For the plexi panels, I had to reduce their size by 1/8 to 3/16 inch from original size to make them fit properly. For the glass panels I had to grind the openings a similar amount to get them to fit with the new gasket. Before I figured this out, I was this close (close) to shit canning the whole project. I hope you have an easier time with your attempts, maybe doing the reduction thing.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

OOOH! S.. canning the whole proyecto! I thought I was the only one who had those kind of thoughts. 100 feet out, one cut hose. Done. I think I will stall the window project a bit longer.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Thanks for the heads up! I bet the OEM was some Swedish made metric stuff. I think i will use the opening as master rather than the old glass. Test fitting with short pieces of weatherstrip is another way to make sure it fit.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

I recently replaced the weatherstrip for the windows in the wheelhouse, will replace the others also when I get there. I ordered a 25m roll of 5mm/5mm (window/body) which is what was recommended by other Albineers who had done the deed and it seems to fit nicely. Dunno what that is in inches. Hoping the 25m will be enough, I think I read someone had measured something like 24.2m is needed ;)
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

3/16” is pretty close to 5 mm (4.8) but 1/4” is 6.3mm i have not measured my original window thickness but im planning to replace it with 1/4” thick plexi/acrylic
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Put me on the weather stripping list too. I have a roll of weatherstrip, chrome locking strip (it is a deLuxe model, after all) and THE tool, all ready to go.

Once my pilothouse paint is done, that's next on my to do list, in the next week or so.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Reading all these struggles. Why don’t owners just fiberglass over the front and rear plexiglass windows like newer Albin's (27+) and just have the side glass windows like these photos attached??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

OldDemps wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:58 am Reading all these struggles. Why don’t owners just fiberglass over the front and rear plexiglass windows like newer Albin's (27+) and just have the side glass windows like these photos attached??
Seems the smaller windows and fewer windows would sure make it dark down below?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I would think it would be more work to 'glass over the opening than to install new windows. A lot less "sticky stuff" to just replace plexi. Speaking as someone who did a fiberglass layup to make a wheelhouse hard top.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Front window is in! The old window appeared to be to long so it had pushed itself out of the weatherstrip. I traced the opening by having my helper pushing the window against the opening. I then used a short piece of weatherstripping to mark inside the trace.i cut maybe 1/16 inside to give some margin. It was not easy to get the window into the weatherstripping. What worked at the end was to have one person on the inside and one outside and start at both sides and work towards the center. Once in we massaged it to relax it before installing lock strip. That was hard to. I did not have a lube I trusted not to cause problems with cracking acrylic so i just used dawn and water. Next time im buying lube too.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Congrats! Isn't that fun? My old windows were in far worse shape than yours, besides the crack crazing they had turned to milky white translucency. I'm glad I went with sepia tinted plexi instead of clear. I took Kerrye's advice & used generous amounts of diluted dish soap applied from a spray bottle to lubricate & used plastic bicycle tire spoons to work the new window into the weatherstripping groove. I also carefully cut about 1" of the protective paper from around the edge the plexi after carefully measuring & marking the centerline on the protective paper & the centerline of the window opening so as to work the plexi into the weather strip from center out, alternating sides & didn't fully remove the protective paper until the job was done. I did the rear window first, but the front one actually went in easier. Maybe from having practiced on the rear window first. I also put the weather strip into the opening first, then the plexi into the weather strip. Managed to do it all single handed. Inserting the locking strip was almost more time consuming. Can't imagine the poor factory workers doing this on boat after boat. Also I imagine the window openings were cut out from the cabin top layups, so from boat to boat they're probably not exactly 100% alike. Or maybe they are?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”